Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that float valve is the only thing keeping all that water from dumping into your system?

That and the fact that I'm a little more ocd than most when it comes to cleaning and maintaining my equipment.

Worst case scenario in a failure I may dump 10 gallons or less in a 200 gallon system. I'm willing to take that chance when it means I never have to carry 5 gallon buckets of water again. :)

My build thread
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/daltreys-red-sea-reefer-750-xxl-build.351366/

Last edited:

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tanks are in a closet next to my aquarium. I circled where I have the line running thru a 1/4 bulkhead fitting. That then runs along my baseboard to my sumps float valve. With one valve open it tops off with 15 gallons and then I can open the other valve and top off the with the other 15 gallons. I'm lazy though so I usually just leave both valves open and let it top off with 30 gallons.

Looks like you ou are going to have to use a pump with your holding tanks in the basement. I would just add electric float switches in your sump so it can turn off and on by itself for topoff.

20180223_060652.jpg
Love the setup, wish I could make it work for mine, but I think you're right and I will have to look into pump options for my setup.

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had my reefer 750 up and running for almost 3 weeks and I swear I spend most of my nights fiddling with this stupid valve. I have issues with gurgling so I open the valve more, then I have issues with gurgling AND the sound of water surging into the sump, and I cannot get the level in the overflow to drop for the life of me. It's driving me nuts! I'm running a Varios-8 on the 3rd setting, I would love to get this thing silent, can anyone offer some advice?

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know its a PIA... But it should not be a big thing... first make sure you turn the valve to complete open. Then make a small turn and wait for 15 minutes... continue this till the water level settles at around one inch below the emergency drain ... hope this helps...

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had my reefer 750 up and running for almost 3 weeks and I swear I spend most of my nights fiddling with this stupid valve. I have issues with gurgling so I open the valve more, then I have issues with gurgling AND the sound of water surging into the sump, and I cannot get the level in the overflow to drop for the life of me. It's driving me nuts! I'm running a Varios-8 on the 3rd setting, I would love to get this thing silent, can anyone offer some advice?

I know its a PIA... But it should not be a big thing... first make sure you turn the valve to complete open. Then make a small turn and wait for 15 minutes... continue this till the water level settles at around one inch below the emergency drain ... hope this helps...
Each valve seems to be a little bit different than the next...On my 250 that I had set up, spent about an hour playing around with it on initial set up, and I swear, probably didnt have to touch the thing but a handful of time over 2 years. On my 525XL I just set up, valve is harder to turn and the water level flucuates a lot more in the overflow. I am attempting to keep mine just a few mm below the emergency drain in the 525XL and have gotten the best results in terms of quietness.

I also got a tip that if you're having issues turning the valve (and therefor over compensating your turns clockwise/counterclockwise) to loosen the 4 allen wrench bolts under the rubber grommets. Haven't tried yet as mine has been behaving the last 2 weeks, but may give it a try.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reefer XL 425 finally arrived. Question for those of you with black cabinet reefers: Is it normal to have one white piece and all the rest are black? I'm hoping it's just the rear base board and it won't show.
IMG_2540.JPG

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the 525 xl black. Came with and extra white base. I’m betting yours is the same. Won’t be used except for shipping

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the 525 xl black. Came with and extra white base. I’m betting yours is the same. Won’t be used except for shipping

Thanks. That makes sense since there are 3 long pieces with the rubber feet. Seems strange they would ship extras instead of adding another styrofoam spacer in the crate. OK...time to start assembly!

xoleras

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that the Red Sea Reefer series tanks are getting more common in hobbyist's homes, I thought it would be nice to have a one-stop place to share and discuss them. I love mine and I think it's one of the nicest setups for the money. It's far less expensive than an Elos and even cheaper than Innovative Marine SR series. I love setups that allow for user customization and I like checking out what others are doing with theirs. I think Red Sea really hit big with this one and the # of sales proves that. So please post up pics of your setups and feel free to discuss mods, tips, equipment etc.

I'll start out with a sump pic of my 450:

Sump by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_6030 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Current state of my Reefer 450:

FTS by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

IMG_5293 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

I'm also going to leave this here so it's easy to find... my very cheap solution to splitting the return:

PART LIST:

1/2" NPT Connector for 1/2" Loc-Line
Y Fitting for 1/2" Loc-Line Modular Hose
1/2" Loc-Line Modular Hose - 6 segments (you can split this in half or buy two of them if you want really long arms)
(2) Round Nozzles for 1/2" Loc-Line Modular Hose (you may choose to do the flare or straight-flow nozzles, but I like these the best)

1. First remove the Red Sea fitting out of the end of the return nozzle... it's just pressure fit with Teflon tape.
  2. Then simply wrap the threaded section of the NPS fitting with about 10 wraps of Teflon tape.
  3. Next twist/slide into the Red Sea nozzle... it should go in somewhat snug.
  4. Then pull it back out and wrap it again with about 10 wraps of Teflon tape.
  5. Go ahead and twist/slide it back in... done.
  6. Lastly, snap on the Y fitting and your selection of Loc-Line segments and nozzles.

Our very own @pelphrey recently put together a nice instructional video on this also.

good

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Reefer XL 425 finally arrived. Question for those of you with black cabinet reefers: Is it normal to have one white piece and all the rest are black? I'm hoping it's just the rear base board and it won't show.
IMG_2540.JPG
This is normal, my white came with a front black and white. They used to ship everything color coded back in the day, but I'm guessing to save some money, they made a universal cabinet kit and then your side panel and door come color coded.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back