mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth going RSR 250 over 170 for a first tank? The RSR is obviously more expensive, mainly due to an additional LED, upgraded powerheads, more rock and sand, etc.

But the setup (tank, stand, sump) itself is comparable when comparing the prices by my local vendor. RSR 170 is $850 and I would buy a custom ATO reservoir for $165 to fit in the small stand. Total would be $1015. RSR 250 is $1110.

Another concern is moving the tank since I tend to move every 2 years so size matters but the 250 may not be too big?
Had the 250 as my second tank and loved it. Definitely more space (sump and DT) than the 170, but I still outgrew it within 2 years.

kevo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new nano reefer, still need to tidy things up once I get a controller. Still need a counter top for the ikea cabinets.
7FE2F336-4AD4-4E82-810D-286E86194F84.jpeg
FE8A313B-AF5C-4B8D-9060-2B6F2E5C9F7F.jpeg
15658D3A-B7D8-4E96-9011-9D9C1F12CA97.jpeg

kevo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool idea to have matching cabinets next to the tank.
Thanks, 15” deep ikea kitchen cabinets. They are almost the exact same colour. The doors line up on bottom and with a 1 1/2 counter top it will be flush to top of Red Sea cabinet. It’s nice having more room to put stuff and keeps my wife happy that everything is hidden.

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone with the XXL 750 with Ecotech lights? If so which did you go with, the XR15 or XR30? And how many?

Trying to price a build together after a bit out of the hobby, not sure how soon I'll be back in depending but I want to do it right from the start and go as big as I want instead of going smaller then upgrading.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MannyDel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mp10s are too much for me right now.

How's the Jebao Rw4 for a Reefer 170 and Reefer 250? Would 2 pumps be enough for both of these tanks?

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How's the Jebao Rw4 for a Reefer 170 and Reefer 250? Would 2 pumps be enough for both of these tanks?
Everyone's recommended flow varies. Also will highly depend on if you plan to keep corals or not. I've seen people with 4 powerheads in those size tanks. Others with just 2 or even 1. I used the RW-8's in my 250 (2 of them) with great success.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Everyone's recommended flow varies. Also will highly depend on if you plan to keep corals or not. I've seen people with 4 powerheads in those size tanks. Others with just 2 or even 1. I used the RW-8's in my 250 (2 of them) with great success.

@mjlash22 is correct! I am running two of the Gyre 230's on my Reefer 250!

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS of my RSR 525xl with 3X Orphek V4 compacts. Trigger Systems Sump and Broadfield-inspired control section. Apex controlled with other toys and only 5 months old with mixed reef ultimate goal.
Screenshot_20180322-202006.jpg
20180322_220952.jpg
20180204_204312.jpg

Very nice! I need to take some tips on wire/power management for my 525!

XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone

Sorry for the long write up ahead of time!

New to R2R and and my only experience is a 60 gal FW tank I had about 15 years ago. Fell in love with corals and SW fish when I started scuba diving on our honeymoon 3 years ago. We have a 2 your old boy who’s obsessed with fish and sea life and a 2nd baby on the way May 8. So lots happening in our lives and I’m looking to add more to it. I live in Toronto Canada so having a piece of the sea at home will make the 9 months of crappy weather more bearable.

I’ve been reading lots and the more I read the information overload is getting a bit intimidating. I’m a dreamer so I know I want the Reefer 750 but having seen some of your incredible setups and even more elaborate water making systems I now know I’m nowhere ready for that challenge. Mostly due to lack of experience and the big jump in pricing.

I started by looking at a BioCube, then feel in love with RSR system and said then let’s look at a 170, then I saw the 250 and it wasn’t big price difference (until I realized I need two lights and lighting prices) then by the time I was into the 250 the 350 was only a short hop over and would let my wife have a small tang without committing to a bigger tank in the near future.

So I’m stuck now. The 750 is in the future and I don’t know if the 350 and 750 together at that point will be a lot of work and expensive to keep simultaneously. I also don’t know if being a beginner the challenge of dealing with a bigger tank is what I should get into.

So I need a reality check. If the advice is get a 170 or 250 and just save up for a 750 down the road I’m prepared for that.

I am no big rush. I am a patient person most of the time. I want to cycle for 6-8weeks or longer given that we have a baby coming in May and then add inverts then add some fish and don’t think I’ll be into corals for at least 1-2 years. And I’ll be happy with simpler LPS being my ultimate goal with the smaller tang and think about SPS for the 750 in the future.

My local retailer of course is trying to sell me the biggest setup they can and justifying that the larger system is more stable and easier to mange. I know theoretically it’s true. I don’t know about reality. I’m willing to go into a bigger system if I could break down the costs over a few months as opposed to a big wad of cash upfront.

I need help with my setup. The biggest decision being SIZE the following are the other items

1. Return pump (I want DC pump that’s quiet and reliable) willing to upgrade down the road if that’s what it takes to go to a larger tank)
2. Lighting. (The more I read the more I get confused. Some of you have really complex setups. I assume for SPS growth. I’m not going there but the store was trying to sell me Radion XR30 but after realizing I’m not going to blow the bank they suggested AI Primes that are on sale for about $185USD $249CDN
3. Wavemaker. (I know they are easy to add or change later, they are trying to an MP40 to me that’s quite pricy but the sales rep is racing that it’s his go to on his 250g reef at home.
4. Installation. I’m pretty handy but new to all this. They are telling me I should have them install it. I’m not adding livestock for a long time so I don’t know what I would mess up in install
5. Water. I have a water softener for my whole house and have RO drinking water system that makes 25g per day according to the rep that sold it to me but I have a mineralizer adding calcium and magnesium after the RO because I don’t like the taste of straight RO water.
6. Skimmer (they talking about a reef Octo 110)
7. Extra goodies (reactors/controllers etc I don’t know anything about but I assume that’s all advanced stuff for later)

Help!?! Lol

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the club (almost)! haha

Sounds like you have an amazing growing family, congratulations on the new addition soon!

I have the Reefer 250, if I had to do it over again I would have went with the 350. But like you that extra foot potentially adds another light. The good thing is depending on the light you go with you can start with fewer and add as you go. I can't answer the question 350 or spring for the 750, if you are ready to tackle the larger tank then by all means!

1. Return pump (I want DC pump that’s quiet and reliable) willing to upgrade down the road if that’s what it takes to go to a larger tank)
The good thing about DC pumps, they can work on smaller tanks or larger tanks since you can dial them up or down.
2. Lighting. (The more I read the more I get confused. Some of you have really complex setups. I assume for SPS growth. I’m not going there but the store was trying to sell me Radion XR30 but after realizing I’m not going to blow the bank they suggested AI Primes that are on sale for about $185USD $249CDN
You can use what is referred to as budget LED's or spring for a higher end light. You gain functionality with higher end lights which isn't always a good thing.
3. Wavemaker. (I know they are easy to add or change later, they are trying to an MP40 to me that’s quite pricy but the sales rep is racing that it’s his go to on his 250g reef at home.
I run two Gyre 230's for multiple reasons. 1 - I can put them high up in the tank and don't have to worry so much about my small kids grabbing the dry magnet. 2 - I can run 2 pumps off the advanced controller
4. Installation. I’m pretty handy but new to all this. They are telling me I should have them install it. I’m not adding livestock for a long time so I don’t know what I would mess up in install
Installation is actually simple, the stand takes the most time. The instructions that come with it are great. I've also included a video I did of the plumbing, which will be pretty much the same for all Reefer Series tanks.
5. Water. I have a water softener for my whole house and have RO drinking water system that makes 25g per day according to the rep that sold it to me but I have a mineralizer adding calcium and magnesium after the RO because I don’t like the taste of straight RO water.
I can't help much with this. I run a SpectraPure 90gpd RODI. I use two 40 gallon containers to store RODI water, they last me months before I have to fill them up again. This will depend on tank size.
Personal preference and what you can afford. ReefOctopus has been around a long time so I don't think you can go wrong there!
7. Extra goodies (reactors/controllers etc I don’t know anything about but I assume that’s all advanced stuff for later)
You'll need test kits for sure, and a refractometer. Controllers and reactors can be added down the road as needed. You will need timers for lights, unless you purchase lights that have timers built in or an app that controls them. I would suggest running two heaters and at minimum a heater controller. A heater controller will dictate your tank temp and is a good fail safe. You can either use the supplied ATO setup or add one to the system. The issue I have with the ATO for the smaller tanks is the water needs to be added more often than I like. My tank came with an ATO container that held +-2 gallons. Evaporation varies and I am not willing to fill that container up ever 2-3 days. Again an ATO and bigger container is something you can address later down the road.

You've come to the right place, we're lucky that we have this forum and thread as a reference and for questions! I urge you to use the search feature, it works great! Hopefully I've supplied some beneficial information, but take this with a grain of salt. We all do things differently and there are no correct answers! I am still learning and my tank has its good weeks and bad weeks!

Last be on the lookout for used equipment, but still do your research! You can find great deals and get quality equipment! If you have any local groups in your area it may be worth your while to join them, they'll be helpful with tank setup, care and equipment needs!

Last edited:

XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the club (almost)! haha

Sounds like you have an amazing growing family, congratulations on the new addition soon!

I have the Reefer 250, if I had to do it over again I would have went with the 350. But like you that extra foot potentially adds another light. The good thing is depending on the light you go with you can start with fewer and add as you go. I can't answer the question 350 or spring for the 750, if you are ready to tackle the larger tank then by all means!

The good thing about DC pumps, they can work on smaller tanks or larger tanks since you can dial them up or down.
You can use what is referred to as budget LED's or spring for a higher end light. You gain functionality with higher end lights which isn't always a good thing.
I run two Gyre 230's for multiple reasons. 1 - I can put them high up in the tank and don't have to worry so much about my small kids grabbing the dry magnet. 2 - I can run 2 pumps off the advanced controller
Installation is actually simple, the stand takes the most time. The instructions that come with it are great. I've also included a video I did of the plumbing, which will be pretty much the same for all Reefer Series tanks.
I can't help much with this. I run a SpectraPure 90gpd RODI. I use two 40 gallon containers to store RODI water, they last me months before I have to fill them up again. This will depend on tank size.
Personal preference and what you can afford. ReefOctopus has been around a long time so I don't think you can go wrong there!
You'll need test kits for sure, and a refractometer. Controllers and reactors can be added down the road as needed. You will need timers for lights, unless you purchase lights that have timers built in or an app that controls them. I would suggest running two heaters and at minimum a heater controller. A heater controller will dictate your tank temp and is a good fail safe. You can either use the supplied ATO setup or add one to the system. The issue I have with the ATO for the smaller tanks is the water needs to be added more often than I like. My tank came with an ATO container that held +-2 gallons. Evaporation varies and I am not willing to fill that container up ever 2-3 days. Again an ATO and bigger container is something you can address later down the road.

You've come to the right place, we're lucky that we have this forum and thread as a reference and for questions! I urge you to use the search feature, it works great! Hopefully I've supplied some beneficial information, but take this with a grain of salt. We all do things differently and there are no correct answers! I am still learning and my tank has its good weeks and bad weeks!

Last be on the lookout for used equipment, but still do your research! You can find great deals and get quality equipment! If you have any local groups in your area it may be worth your while to join them, they'll be helpful with tank setup, care and equipment needs!

Wow thank you! The video set my mind at ease with the install. And been watching your other videos. What pump did you finally decide to keep? And would you choose something different now if you had the choice?

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thank you! The video set my mind at ease with the install. And been watching your other videos. What pump did you finally decide to keep? And would you choose something different now if you had the choice?

I stuck with the Neptune COR20. The pump works great, its silent and can be ran with or without the apex.

Papermonkeys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

New to R2R but I've been lurking around for a while. I was mostly using RC before. Eventually (when I got some free time) I'll start up a build thread on here. I currently have a RSR250 and love it. Display still needs a lot of love but it's getting there.

I mostly just wanted to post here to show the Oceans by Design/Crystal Reef Aquatics Stealth sump. I like others love their Reefer tanks, but I felt the sump could use a little love (only true I think for the smaller size reefers). I originally was going to do that drilled ATO for mini fuge that I saw a bunch of people do. But then I saw, through a fellow Washington reefer that a semi local company was making "Drop in" replacement Sumps for the 250, and it looked like it had everything I wanted: larger refugium section, adjustable height skimmer chamber, and overall more water capacity. I got it on Friday and had to make a small adjustment to get to go smoothly, as I think I was the first one to get the "fully drop in" version which didn't need hard lines to be made for the returns. I know they will revise it for future orders.

I when I took off the main return line and went to reconnect it, as soon as I would tighten it all the way it would start leaking out of the bulkhead section, which a quick search seemed to be a fairly common problem. I ended up getting a new o-ring for the upper return pipe (even though the one on there didn't look damaged) from orielly auto parts that fit nice and snug and surprisingly fixed the small leak.

Anyways, so far after getting it setup I'm loving it. I got their matching ATO container to help clean up under my tank. I'm currently waiting on some chaeto, excited to try that out to help with nutrient export. Looks like I'll most likely need to pick up some small powerhead for the sump to help the chaeto tumble, I'm unsure if the natural flow will be enough but again probably gotta wait till it comes in to know for sure. I love the fittings they included for dosing/ATO even though I'm currently only using 1 for my ATO, I eventually want to switch to a dosing pump. They seem to be a type of pushlock fitting, and work great! I order a pair of replacement foams for the stock 250 sump and one about in half and it fit pretty nicely in the media rack of the sump. Other thoughts and these will probably depend on the user, but the sump is a little louder than the pretty silent original sump. I mostly attribute this to keeping the skimmer chamber pretty low (almost as low as possible) as I was running at about 7 inches IIRC in the old sump, so the water falls quite a bit. I'll probably experiment with different levels as I try to dial my skimmer in again. The only other complaint is the display is a little cloudier which I attribute to both my diamond goby and probably the lack of filter bags as I used to run the stock Reefer ones. As mentioned above I'm currently running the foam from the original sump but I could experiment with other things in the media rack to help out with this.

I got more rock to add to the sump that I'd like to eventually move to the main display but I need to pick up more eggcrate as I don't want to scratch up the sump too bad. The current eggcrate I have is almost the exact same size as collection chamber so it makes a weird illusion that makes it looks theres another chamber hah.

Anyways heres a before and after shot, the before was a little embarrassing, but I knew I was getting a new sump and slowly just let it get real messy under there.

old.jpg

neew.jpg

full.jpg

Quinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys a little help needed. What did yall' use for your lighting inside the sump are and the electrical area? Looked on amazon a bit at some under counter cabinet lighting and it looks like it would work. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys

mjlash22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys a little help needed. What did yall' use for your lighting inside the sump are and the electrical area? Looked on amazon a bit at some under counter cabinet lighting and it looks like it would work. Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys

I used these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HWKDQ60

I have a Reefer 425 XL. This light system has 3 modules, so I put one in the control cabinet side and the other two in the sump cabinet side. I drilled a 1/4" hole through the divider wall between the two cabinet sections to connect the light segments and plugged in the power adapter on the control cabinet side. It provides just the right amount of light in my opinion.

The lights are motion-activated, so when I open the cabinet door I just wave my hand under the sensor and the lights turn on or off. I prefer this model over the battery-operated units since I have a power strip in the cabinet to keep them permanently plugged in.

IMG_2673.jpg

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.9%

Back