Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BM one is similar but has a larger foot print in the sump. I also can’t find a lot of information on it. If anyone uses one (on a Red Sea for this thread only) please share a review/pics

e298ac996296068c5e9d49d34a07c23c.png

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BM one is similar but has a larger foot print in the sump. I also can’t find a lot of information on it. If anyone uses one (on a Red Sea for this thread only) please share a review/pics

e298ac996296068c5e9d49d34a07c23c.png

I've never seen this one before. I know the klir is (maybe) coming out soon and will fit right into the filter sock compartments of the red sea tanks (with their red sea bracket).

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not advertised much. I really want the Klir which is supposed to be out this Summer. My second option is the ClariSea Gen2. I’m glad you told me the Theiling roll fits the ClariSea filter.

Trey302

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more pics on how you mounted it?

Don't have any pictures of when I mounted it but I just took these. Basically it's just a couple screws that hold the bracket to the stand and then the power strip bolts to it.

IMG_20180610_115449.jpg

IMG_20180610_115431.jpg

Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e9ccda26f13899a7047343ee159b3a6a.jpg
0731a834327a78bc7b98d331ad1fa73d.jpg
be837f71899f78f75297814b999d8b95.jpg
8df53c6350073cc639ae496ed65fcfa8.jpg
8d54ebb4d447bb9bede8cca97f4b80db.jpg
5d7a992b642ceaabad13dfe2ccd141c7.jpg

I mounted all mine with aluminum L track and Velcro straps. ATO revisor, and mounted all my controls 4 MP40, 2 L1 pumps, 3 FMM, apex, skimmer controller and slimz algae reactor, to yellow plexiglass, with a black plexiglass cover. There are 100 ways you can do it. Hope that gives you some ideas.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...more progress. Everything had to be re-done! :( The PVC Glue was jelly like last week and I used it anywayo_O . The more I thought about it the more worried I became. Started fresh with the bad manifold as a model. Made cutting and fitting things in a much easier task.

The plumbing is done (based on @Reefer525XL)- just waiting for a couple 45 degree 3/4 inch fixtures to make the emergency drain. Next up I'll start organizing all the cables and electrical and get back to the panels (ala @Broadfield's original setup) I started back in the fall.
IMG_8408.JPG

Last edited:

Hulley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...more progress. Everything had to be re-done! :( The PVC Glue was jelly like last week and I used it anywayo_O . The more I thought about it the more worried I became. Started fresh with the bad manifold as a model. Made cutting and fitting things in a much easier task. The plumbing is done- just waiting for a couple 45 degree 3/4 inch fixtures to make the emergency drain. Next up I'll start organizing all the cables and electrical and get back to the panels (ala Broafield's original setup) I started back in the fall.
IMG_8408.JPG

Great looking sump! I'm picking up my Reefer 350 tomorrow and this is pretty much exactly what I want to do.

Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks really nice! Where did you get the acrylic sheets? Did they cut them for you?

e-plastics since that was the same acrylic triggers used for my sump! No I got full sheets that I cut to size and did all my own routing! (Had to buy a router) but came out professional!

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking sump! I'm picking up my Reefer 350 tomorrow and this is pretty much exactly what I want to do.
Thanks! Its a little tight in there compared to all the 525XL's out there but with a little planning its possible to keep things from getting cluttered in these 425xl/350 sumps.

nero0762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A question for fellow Reefer owners...
We just bought our second Red Sea Reefer. This one is a Nano (the other is a 425XL). I'm in the process of setting it up, and I'm leak testing it. The good news is that the display isn't leaking.... to the outside of the tank. Unfortunately, there does seem to be a tiny leak between the main compartment in the display and the overflow box. As I filled up the display, just before the water level got to the "comb" at the top of the overflow, I heard water trickling into the overflow. I stopped adding water to the display, and let it run to see how far down the leak was. The water stopped "draining" into the overflow about 1/2 an inch below the combs (see below).
Looking inside the overflow, it was hard to see the water coming in, but it looked like it was coming through the corner just to the left of the return.
So, my question is this... do I do anything about it?
At first I thought it didn't matter, since only an extra 1/2" will drain into the sump. But some quick math indicates that this 1/2" equates to just over half a gallon. That means when I shut off the return pump, an extra half gallon end up in the sump.
I'm never going to put so much water in the sump that an extra half gallon would cause an overflow. Is there any other reason to care/worry about this?
Thanks in advance...
2018-06-11 20.20.53.jpg

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm in the process of setting up my 425xL and I am currently working on both the drain and return plumbing. I've seen the awesome mod of installing the Spears gate valve and new drainpipe (thanks @Broadfield) and followed the instructions posted here. I ordered the return barb connector from Red Sea as instructed so I was a bit surprised to find something a little different than I expected

https://www.shop-meeresaquaristik.d...20-25mm-RF-450-XL425-XL525-R42222::19822.html

So, what is that middle part and why is it there? Is that a different thread pattern? I connected the Sch 80 3/4" male x slip (ordered through pvcfittingsonline.com) to both the return connector the tank came with and the newly shipped one and I am not sure I can tell a difference. Any thoughts/ideas? Or is this just what they have always sent? It is hard to figure it out online.

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm in the process of setting up my 425xL and I am currently working on both the drain and return plumbing. I've seen the awesome mod of installing the Spears gate valve and new drainpipe (thanks @Broadfield) and followed the instructions posted here. I ordered the return barb connector from Red Sea as instructed so I was a bit surprised to find something a little different than I expected

https://www.shop-meeresaquaristik.d...20-25mm-RF-450-XL425-XL525-R42222::19822.html

So, what is that middle part and why is it there? Is that a different thread pattern? I connected the Sch 80 3/4" male x slip (ordered through pvcfittingsonline.com) to both the return connector the tank came with and the newly shipped one and I am not sure I can tell a difference. Any thoughts/ideas? Or is this just what they have always sent? It is hard to figure it out online.
Was lazy - here is the connector in question (hmmm...can't edit posts on this forum!). I'm not sure I get what this middle part is or why they included it and maybe it doesn't matter. Makes me curious though!

Comparison shot:
Red Sea Return compare.jpg

Modeldoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new V3 reefers are shipping. I ordered a 250 from saltwateraquarium on 6/3. Tank arrived today and I set up part of the stand. There were 3 clips for piping that were odd and I took a deeper look at the sump.
Red Sea hit a home run with this one. Ships with a Refugium wall, adjustable height skimmer chamber, and plastic cup for media. Looks like it will be refugium first and then skimmer based on the chamber size but I am very surprised and excited. I put the stand together late but will get measurements for everyone tomorrow.
The big problem for me is that I had my sump design completely planned out and will probably need to change a few things. Glad I got extra fittings and unions.
View media item 2940View media item 2941

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! I'm envious! I just got a Red Sea Reefer 450 the other day off of Craigslist never used for an outstanding deal. Trying to get the parts sorted and came here to find some information on plumbing compatibility. It appears by your build that schedule 80 plumbing parts will work with the Red Sea series. Is this correct? Thanks in advance and my build start is located in this THREAD if you have a chance to take a look any advice is appreciated.

Modeldoctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both schedule 80 and sch 40 parts work for the Red Sea tanks. Most people use sch 40 pipe and sch 80 fittings because the fittings are grey and not white. The advantage to sch 40 is that if you need an extra piece, you can usually just go to the local hardware store and buy it. Make sure you get the 1” to 3/4” mpt adapter if you are hard plumbing your return and using 1” pipe from the pump.

incloud design

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plastic cup you are referring to in the sump. Does it look like these? The 450 I picked up has cups in the sock holders and filters also. I found that pretty cool but didn't think they would support media.
Sock holders.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 86 71.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back