AMEE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if the new Skimz macro algae reactor would fit in the sump with the skimmer. BRS recently advertised the Skimz.

Yea I was interested until I saw the price lol. I'm looking for something a lot cheaper, I'm not having any nutrient issues at the moment but I'm feeding more specially not that I have a Sea fan so I want to stay on top of things. I was thinking maybe doing a refugium or algae scrubber with the ato container.

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Hydra52 mounted on a HMS bracket arm

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/s...ICeCEwGUYmvmEXdnrFJ2_SCMdOJBVEasmXGgKLw_D_BwE

I want to add a second to my Reefer250. I want to know opinions on whether anyone else thinks that my Reefer250 can handle having 2 of these clamped to the glass without impacting the integrity.
I don't see an issue with it, though I'm not a structural engineer either lol. I have two clamped to my 350 and haven't had an issue, but they've only been up there for 6 months. Great light BTW.

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought you guys may be interested in this I have fitted to my 525 with no mods to the sump. No more filter socks, no more floss no more bubble trap and more time to look at the tank. It used an infra red sensor, has 100 metres of media the electrics detach from the filter assembly and the whole top section can adjust from side to side,

X FILTER 2.jpg
Who makes this?

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sick and tired of adjusting my overflow couple times a week. I am able to dial the water level to where I want it, but then after a day or two, its either starts gurgling or overflowing to the emergency drain. Its messing up my ATO/salinity. Ugh!

This is probably asked a thousand times, and I dont want to bother Broadfield, but anyone have specific name/sizes for these labeled parts for my reefer 250? What parts do I need to connect B to A (or B to C?)

I tried reading the thread looking for specific answers, but honestly, I'm confused. LOL

If anyone can point me to the right direction, specific parts name, sizes, schedules of pipes, adapters, gate valves, unions (if any), etc.., I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

I found this picture on google, and I just added the arrows and labels. (probably Broadsfiled's)

30744505792_2b6e569e20_c_zpscupvpmw2.jpg

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I'm working on a Red Sea reefer 170 build and was wondering what everyone is using for skimmers? I don't want to spend a ton of money was thinking $200 or less. Also I'm not looking for a skimmer that will take up the whole skimmer section as I will be running a smaller pump also for a cheto reactor I built thanks!

Ishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I'm working on a Red Sea reefer 170 build and was wondering what everyone is using for skimmers? I don't want to spend a ton of money was thinking $200 or less. Also I'm not looking for a skimmer that will take up the whole skimmer section as I will be running a smaller pump also for a cheto reactor I built thanks!
We've been using a Skimz SN 123 in our Nano and now in our 250 with no complaints. Pumps are easy to get hold of too.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sick and tired of adjusting my overflow couple times a week. I am able to dial the water level to where I want it, but then after a day or two, its either starts gurgling or overflowing to the emergency drain. Its messing up my ATO/salinity. Ugh!

This is probably asked a thousand times, and I dont want to bother Broadfield, but anyone have specific name/sizes for these labeled parts for my reefer 250? What parts do I need to connect B to A (or B to C?)

I tried reading the thread looking for specific answers, but honestly, I'm confused. LOL

If anyone can point me to the right direction, specific parts name, sizes, schedules of pipes, adapters, gate valves, unions (if any), etc.., I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

I found this picture on google, and I just added the arrows and labels. (probably Broadsfiled's)

30744505792_2b6e569e20_c_zpscupvpmw2.jpg

Bother away;)

• A and B are one part... Red Sea barbed return fitting assembly. You will need to order this from Red Sea USA out of Texas. It is the same assembly that is currently on your return. The barbed fitting is simply unthreaded from the assembly and replaced with part C. NOTE: You will need about 15 wraps of Teflon tape on the threaded section of the adapter, part C, as the Red Sea fittings are metric.
  • C. 3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP adapter. Note: SLIP can also be referred to as "SOCKET": http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/3-4-x-1-sch-80-pvc-reducing-male-adapter-mpt-x-socket-836-102.html As mentioned above, use around 15 wraps of Teflon tape to get a good seal. Keep in mind that the seal is accomplished by the tape, not how tight you tighten the adapter into the Red Sea return assembly. The adapter should bottom out against the Red Sea assembly, but you do not need to over tighten... just nice and snug once it bottoms out.
  • D. 1" Gate valve SLIP x SLIP: http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/1-pvc-socket-gate-valve-spears-2022-010.html
  • E. 1" PVC

Schedule 40 and schedule 80 are interchangeable FWIW.

Last edited:

sithrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bother away;)
With the gate value do you adjust it less than with the OEM value? I have everything to make the change just haven't done it because it's not bothering me yet..... If it does help though I will change it this weekend.

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the gate value do you adjust it less than with the OEM value? I have everything to make the change just haven't done it because it's not bothering me yet..... If it does help though I will change it this weekend.

I never adjust it... ever! But I never really adjusted the Red Sea one either.

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bother away;)

• A and B are one part... Red Sea barbed return fitting assembly. You will need to order this from Red Sea USA out of Texas. It is the same assembly that is currently on your return. The barbed fitting is simply unthreaded from the assembly and replaced with part C. NOTE: You will need about 15 wraps of Teflon tape on the threaded section of the adapter, part C, as the Red Sea fittings are metric.
  • C. 3/4" MPT x 1" SLIP adapter. Note: SLIP can also be referred to as "SOCKET": http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/3-4-x-1-sch-80-pvc-reducing-male-adapter-mpt-x-socket-836-102.html As mentioned above, use around 15 wraps of Teflon tape to get a good seal. Keep in mind that the seal is accomplished by the tape, not how tight you tighten the adapter into the Red Sea return assembly. The adapter should bottom out against the Red Sea assembly, but you do not need to over tighten... just nice and snug once it bottoms out.
  • D. 1" Gate valve SLIP x SLIP: http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/1-pvc-socket-gate-valve-spears-2022-010.html
  • E. 1" PVC

Schedule 40 and schedule 80 are interchangeable FWIW.

Oh sweet! Thanks so much! Finally, I can replace my plumbings.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've got a similar setup with a gate valve on my 525, and I set it one time and havent messed with it since. I didnt realize how much I used to mess with the Red Sea knob until swapping it over. Its one of those sneaky but slick upgrades.

bizacon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is worth it and an easy mod. I haven't really touch mine after switching over to the gate valve. Set it and forget it!

svogun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have one plumbed into their basement. I have a basement filtrattion system for a 93 cube and am looking to upgrade to the 525xl. Just want to make sure its not a PITA to change out the return line tubing for pvc. Runnning a vectra M1

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh BTW, while I'm at it. I am going to replace the emergency drain and return. I'm assuming I would be needing same parts, except for a smaller sizes correct?

Zachhll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Reefer nano cycling right now and will be ordering a peninsula 650 soon as it is on BRS. My question is has anyone seen any information on plumbing for the new larger tanks? I am going to be doing a basement fish room and would like to start getting things plumbed.

Dawsokj1988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a video on their site that shows the sump for the new models. I actually emailed Red Sea to try and get a schematic or something similar for the new cabinet, but they couldn't release it yet.

(EDIT SP, dang phone)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back