bombero11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Scotland so maybe they haven’t hit the US yet. Here is a pic with the ATO on top. I’m thinking it might be slightly larger than the last version?

E8B8B585-3D88-461F-AD7F-FE71954C9E88.jpeg

A7A96C4C-4CBC-4DE9-BB88-C444614ADD96.jpeg

Water reaching the skimmer section before the refugium?

offtropic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Scotland so maybe they haven’t hit the US yet. Here is a pic with the ATO on top. I’m thinking it might be slightly larger than the last version?

E8B8B585-3D88-461F-AD7F-FE71954C9E88.jpeg

A7A96C4C-4CBC-4DE9-BB88-C444614ADD96.jpeg
Visually looks a bit bigger. Does it list a volume on any of the material you received? It also looks to run full depth of the cabinet so have to take that into account if trying to run anything off the return pump (which now looks to be a straight shot back into the tank).

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that certainly is different. I just ordered a 425XL so wondering if I should expect the same/similar layout. There have been reports of new sumps outside of the US already but I haven't seen any detail like you just posted...where do you live?

Also, I'm a bit confused by the diagram with regard to the position of the ATO reservoir. Does it sit over next to the plumbing? If so, does it completely block any way of running a manifold off the return pump?

I got a xl425 about a month ago and it was the old style.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but how, and how often do you guys clean your overflow/plumbing? I have had my 350 up and running over 2 years and have never cleaned any of the plumbing :( That green return pipe is full of sludge, I have a ton of vermetid snails in my overflow, and there is some sort of sponge I think that comes out of the return every time I turn my return pump back on.

Hulley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the stock ato and feed valve be ok temporarily? Looking to get a 425xl and I'm trying to keep this in budget, I can always add a proper ato system later.

jwt1603

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the stock ato and feed valve be ok temporarily? Looking to get a 425xl and I'm trying to keep this in budget, I can always add a proper ato system later.

The stock ATO setup worked fine on my 525 for several months while I got things settled. I replaced it because I needed more volume due to work travel and I also incorporated an auto water change which meant I needed control over the ATO water supply.

Side note, the LFS I bought the 525 from suggested using a drill bit to manually enlarge the diameter of the flow through hole in the ATO valve slightly. They said it could clog. I didn't wait to find out if it would. Took about 5 minutes to do including taking the valve apart and putting it back together. Not sure if it really helped but it didn't seem like it hurt.

SeaCreature

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need advice regarding overflow. Just realize that my overflow was not tuned properly after reading some other threads. The water was flowing over the top of both drains. It was silent so I thought everything was correct. rrI adjusted the return pump (varios 6) and the valve so that water level is below grey drain pipe but there is still water in the overflow drain. Is this correct. If not how do I correct?

IMG_0152.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG
r

bombero11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need advice regarding overflow. Just realize that my overflow was not tuned properly after reading some other threads. The water was flowing over the top of both drains. It was silent so I thought everything was correct. rrI adjusted the return pump (varios 6) and the valve so that water level is below grey drain pipe but there is still water in the overflow drain. Is this correct. If not how do I correct?

IMG_0152.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG
r

You are correct, the middle is your emergency overflow and water should be about 1/2inch below the top of it

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anybody had any issues with the pipework snapping at the thread? I've seen a couple of YT vids where this has happened, but it could be down to user error (over tightening etc) rather than poor quality plastic.
I'm just wondering if it is worth buying a spare pipes, just in case.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it overtightening, but plan to order a set of spares a few months before we move. I have seen them go on backorder and having to wait a month, or whatever, would not go over well at my house.

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over tightening is my best guess; the folks that are used to wrench down metal fittings have a hard time adjusting to ‘finger tighten’.... what I can use my hands or my strong arms ;)

XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I setup my cor 15 I used the 1 1/4 union, reduced and 3/4 ID barb then used 1” ID vinyl tubing to connect to my return line barb on the Red Sea 525 assuming not using the two 90s would give me better flow. I’m running the pump 100% (tried with stock return output but now using vivid aquatics and flow splitter) no tangible flow difference as I didn’t have to adjust my drain valve)

The 1% feed mode still flows water to display and wanted a true stop of flow without shutting pump off. Searched and found a thread here suggesting a T and valve to have small flow from manifold into sump so at 1% the flow there would stop flow into display.

So I decided build manifold off the pump and continue with soft tubing. Quickly realized the height means I have to use a 90 elbow barb to make it work. AND now I need a new union as the other is useless.

So 2 questions.

1.Should I just go hard plumb to just below the return barb and use 4” soft tubing to mate them and also prevent vibration

If I used the provided 3/4 slip and use all 3/4 fittings. Am I making a difference in flow? How much am I losing?

I was trying to go as far as I could with 1 1/4 before reducing to the 3/4 going into the display tank to maximize flow. I don’t understand fluid dynamic well enough to know if that’s the right theory.

Thank you!!

Pics:

b59400e4f13fec5b329d523bde8af63f.jpg

8bc796323d25c535ac855457e4f94cd5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ourcoralreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I setup my cor 15 I used the 1 1/4 union, reduced and 3/4 ID barb then used 1” ID vinyl tubing to connect to my return line barb on the Red Sea 525 assuming not using the two 90s would give me better flow. I’m running the pump 100% (tried with stock return output but now using vivid aquatics and flow splitter) no tangible flow difference as I didn’t have to adjust my drain valve)

The 1% feed mode still flows water to display and wanted a true stop of flow without shutting pump off. Searched and found a thread here suggesting a T and valve to have small flow from manifold into sump so at 1% the flow there would stop flow into display.

So I decided build manifold off the pump and continue with soft tubing. Quickly realized the height means I have to use a 90 elbow barb to make it work. AND now I need a new union as the other is useless.

So 2 questions.

1.Should I just go hard plumb to just below the return barb and use 4” soft tubing to mate them and also prevent vibration

If I used the provided 3/4 slip and use all 3/4 fittings. Am I making a difference in flow? How much am I losing?

I was trying to go as far as I could with 1 1/4 before reducing to the 3/4 going into the display tank to maximize flow. I don’t understand fluid dynamic well enough to know if that’s the right theory.

Thank you!!

Pics:

b59400e4f13fec5b329d523bde8af63f.jpg

8bc796323d25c535ac855457e4f94cd5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should divide your chato and marine pure blocks as the light will grow algea on the blocks clogging it up and turning it green

miniChou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer 250, and I would like to add a redundant return pump in case the primary fails. I was considering using the one return line to tee off both pumps with a check valve to the second pump to prevent back flow. However, BRS said that this would cause back pressure to the primary pump, so the preferred method would be to run a second return line. Any suggestions?

How have others added a secondary, back-up return pump to their Reefers?

XLOR8T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should divide your chato and marine pure blocks as the light will grow algea on the blocks clogging it up and turning it green

I was thinking of putting a couple of CUC friends down there if that happened.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 83 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back