Show off your EELS!

Justsomedude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! No problems what so ever with any of the eels eating fish they are all in the same 220g reef tank. With predators you can stick to a very precise feeding schedule backed by heavy filtration and 20% water change every 7-14 days

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. I've been wanting to add a skeletor to my mostly wrasse tank but was afraid of it making a snack out of an expensive fish.

That's awesome you have so many eels in the same tank. That panther grouper is pretty too.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you feed your eels? I've had GDMs in the past and have another one now that will be getting it's own tank. I usually fed every 2-3 days as the eel responded when feeding the other fish.

Justsomedude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you feed your eels? I've had GDMs in the past and have another one now that will be getting it's own tank. I usually fed every 2-3 days as the eel responded when feeding the other fish.

For the eels I feed twice per week until they are full. If I don’t feed big momma fang she starts cruising which is extremely enjoyable to watch however she will displace other tank mates willingly in search for one of the cleaner shrimp to pick down her throat it’s so cool

Justsomedude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a skeletor, snowflake, fimbriated,white eye, and dragon moray as well as three sand sifter star fish and a starry night octopus. The truck is adding one at a time and slowly. Also in a communal predator enclosure everything comes down to feeding. I have had over 25 years dealing with communal setups from tropical frogs from all over the world to even a form of communal tarantulas. I decided when building this that I was going to try a predatory communal tank again with the addition of corals this time around. So long as your feeding schedule is on point they don’t get aggressive. So far I have had zero incidents in the 6 months it’s been up. The hardest part is dealing with protozoans. It’s impossible to try this and quarantine and not expect the parasites to find a way in through bottom dwelling predatory fish. So long as you don’t mix two of the same species and again monitor feeding and keep a schedule of what’s eating and when it’s really not that hard. I spend a lot of time with the system and have learned that you can in a way train them to an extent. They recognize you and you get to know their behaviors as well.

Justsomedude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give them all names because they are pets I care deeply for them and take the responsible amount of time dedicated to making sure they are safe and well taken care of.

soflmuddin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a skeletor, snowflake, fimbriated,white eye, and dragon moray as well as three sand sifter star fish and a starry night octopus. The truck is adding one at a time and slowly. Also in a communal predator enclosure everything comes down to feeding. I have had over 25 years dealing with communal setups from tropical frogs from all over the world to even a form of communal tarantulas. I decided when building this that I was going to try a predatory communal tank again with the addition of corals this time around. So long as your feeding schedule is on point they don’t get aggressive. So far I have had zero incidents in the 6 months it’s been up. The hardest part is dealing with protozoans. It’s impossible to try this and quarantine and not expect the parasites to find a way in through bottom dwelling predatory fish. So long as you don’t mix two of the same species and again monitor feeding and keep a schedule of what’s eating and when it’s really not that hard. I spend a lot of time with the system and have learned that you can in a way train them to an extent. They recognize you and you get to know their behaviors as well.
I never considered keeping an octopus in a community tank. I have one in it's own tank and there is little that she won't eat, cowry snail, sea urchin, algae. Pretty much everything else is on the menu. I might try this in a predator only tank I'm planning on setting up soon.

Justsomedude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never considered keeping an octopus in a community tank. I have one in it's own tank and there is little that she won't eat, cowry snail, sea urchin, algae. Pretty much everything else is on the menu. I might try this in a predator only tank I'm planning on setting up soon.

Go for it! Send pics and start a thread it’s not easy! I think the biggest component to being successful is heavy in heavy out tons of filtration and tons of feeding. As the current theme seems to be moving towards technology that allows us to have to do less and less work to maintain an ultra low maintenance aquarium. I absolutely love taking care of this thing and I think that’s what the hobby is all about. Don’t get me wrong I love the new technology and everything but I’m leaning more towards a remarkable community reef tank with predatory fish and it’s no simple task however extremely interactive and entertaining

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's have an official eel show off thread! Post up pics of your eels here! If we can get some pics going, I'll sticky this one so we can have easy access! :D
IMG_20180816_192157.jpg
best pic of him. He blends with the background. I only had him for around a year. I also have a ghost ribbon that he surprisingly sleeps with despite being thinner.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please keep us updated as 6 months is no time at all. Also the maturuty in some of the species play a part as well. I do wish you the best, I would say keep a very close eye. Ive seen many, and pretty much all set ups like this end rough. Early success happens many times, and it would be great to follow along as your tank matures.

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it! Send pics and start a thread it’s not easy! I think the biggest component to being successful is heavy in heavy out tons of filtration and tons of feeding. As the current theme seems to be moving towards technology that allows us to have to do less and less work to maintain an ultra low maintenance aquarium. I absolutely love taking care of this thing and I think that’s what the hobby is all about. Don’t get me wrong I love the new technology and everything but I’m leaning more towards a remarkable community reef tank with predatory fish and it’s no simple task however extremely interactive and entertaining

Do you have a build thread?

soflmuddin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my snowflake. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

863dc6ce3bab94cb4ba04e0fc71ef602.jpg
Still love the snowflake eels. I was trying to source one before my spotted eels got to big but all the ones a lfs were too small and now I think it might be to late. I might get lucky and find someone getting rid of a larger one but it would have to be soon as the spotted are growing fast.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back