Show off your EELS!

Bunnyspit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He usually stays hidden in this rock until dinner time :) my fiancee named him Meliodas

15500997040512277226936747430763.jpg

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all you guys with eels. PLEASE HELP, came home from work and eel tools dead. Jewel eel in 300 gal fish only. No signs of injury. Was lethargic yesterday and didn’t come out. Hasn’t eaten since last week but ate lots last week. History of not eating for a month at a time so I was t worried. It’s not moving or breathing. My husband took it out and put in bucket with our reef water to see if water would make a difference. Parameters
Sal 1.022
Temp 78
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0 nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Had used 30 days low copper 0.7 Hanna checker tonight. He tolerated the copper during treatment and ate the whole time. I know they don’t always do well with it so we were watching close.
Doing immediate 50 gal water change that’s all the water we have. Any other suggestions appreciated.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all you guys with eels. PLEASE HELP, came home from work and eel tools dead. Jewel eel in 300 gal fish only. No signs of injury. Was lethargic yesterday and didn’t come out. Hasn’t eaten since last week but ate lots last week. History of not eating for a month at a time so I was t worried. It’s not moving or breathing. My husband took it out and put in bucket with our reef water to see if water would make a difference. Parameters
Sal 1.022
Temp 78
Ph 8.0
Ammonia 0 nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
Had used 30 days low copper 0.7 Hanna checker tonight. He tolerated the copper during treatment and ate the whole time. I know they don’t always do well with it so we were watching close.
Doing immediate 50 gal water change that’s all the water we have. Any other suggestions appreciated.

Copper poisoning could be the culprit, some eels will tolerate copper treatment and even act as if unaffected at all. Then sometime after the treatment even more than a year, something seems to be off, then you find him dead. I had to treat a tank with a jewel eel, he did not seem affected at all. A little over a year later he seemed to go off and on eating. The weird thing was he relocated and appeared to be somewhat intimidated by nemesis, a niger trigger that in the past he would kick butt. Went on for a couple of weeks, then just dead one morning. I've seen similar scenario's from eels kept in low levels of copper for extended periods of time. It's likely organ failure of some sort.

soflmuddin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper poisoning could be the culprit, some eels will tolerate copper treatment and even act as if unaffected at all. Then sometime after the treatment even more than a year, something seems to be off, then you find him dead. I had to treat a tank with a jewel eel, he did not seem affected at all. A little over a year later he seemed to go off and on eating. The weird thing was he relocated and appeared to be somewhat intimidated by nemesis, a niger trigger that in the past he would kick butt. Went on for a couple of weeks, then just dead one morning. I've seen similar scenario's from eels kept in low levels of copper for extended periods of time. It's likely organ failure of some sort.
I agree.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you for your help. Was it good we took it out of tank? If it wasn’t already dead was on the verge completely limp. Was a beautiful eel. We did 30 days copper then removed. Then got really bad fin rot and started Rally once the copper was removed. Maybe too much for the eel. We took in two eels from a LFS shutting down and needed a home. They were free and I didn’t really want them but my husband did. Then we fell in love with the eels. Our lemon head jumped out one night.:( and we have had this jewel for three years. We did a tank transfer and moved from a 180 to 300 so they would have more room. Have nothing but awful and problems since move. He now have lost our harlequin tusk to fin rot, scopa tang to fin rot, red tail trigger gone same and now the eel. My emperor and Koran and Sohal have head and lateral line. We feed good frozen foods and use selcon. Just got the other vitals 4fordfamily suggested. We were trying to give them all a better home and killed them instead. So sad. Thank you for your help though. My puffer is very lethargic too and not sure if it will be ok or not. We did the water change and running carbon. Don’t know if we can do anything else. 5 power heads and 4 bubblers running. Also outside airline to skimmer for oxygen and ph. We have a stable 300 reef too. So don’t know what went wrong with his tank. Electricity undetected too. Thank you for your help.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mistake copper level was 0.07 by Hanna checker. Never over 0.35. Only did 30 days and have been removing with carbon and doing lots and lots of water changes.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you for your help. Was it good we took it out of tank? If it wasn’t already dead was on the verge completely limp. Was a beautiful eel. We did 30 days copper then removed. Then got really bad fin rot and started Rally once the copper was removed. Maybe too much for the eel. We took in two eels from a LFS shutting down and needed a home. They were free and I didn’t really want them but my husband did. Then we fell in love with the eels. Our lemon head jumped out one night.:( and we have had this jewel for three years. We did a tank transfer and moved from a 180 to 300 so they would have more room. Have nothing but awful and problems since move. He now have lost our harlequin tusk to fin rot, scopa tang to fin rot, red tail trigger gone same and now the eel. My emperor and Koran and Sohal have head and lateral line. We feed good frozen foods and use selcon. Just got the other vitals 4fordfamily suggested. We were trying to give them all a better home and killed them instead. So sad. Thank you for your help though. My puffer is very lethargic too and not sure if it will be ok or not. We did the water change and running carbon. Don’t know if we can do anything else. 5 power heads and 4 bubblers running. Also outside airline to skimmer for oxygen and ph. We have a stable 300 reef too. So don’t know what went wrong with his tank. Electricity undetected too. Thank you for your help.

Sounds like you got some sort of bacterial disease and water quality may be off, a bacterial disease and lateral line does indicate poor water quality. The Koean and Sohal likely needs more greens, I like feeding live fern caulerpa, Water changes and Seachem Paraguard may be worth a try.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you got some sort of bacterial disease and water quality may be off, a bacterial disease and lateral line does indicate poor water quality. The Koean and Sohal likely needs more greens, I like feeding live fern caulerpa, Water changes and Seachem Paraguard may be worth a try.
I’ll get the Paraguard ordered on Monday. We do Nori about four days a week when I’m home. But also, kril, mysis, brine/spironlina, clams, silversides, and rods reef predator blend and LRS chinky food. We mix the food and feed a variety of all these daily. This is a fish only predator tank. Triggers, puffers, eel, angels, tusk, and large Sohal. Now three fish gone and eel. :(
We have changed water almost every other day since dec 1. Had some ammonia and nitrite but immediate water changes and dr Tim’s added. Last two weeks both 0. Have been running carbon too with fresh ccarbon every 24-48 hours. We keep water ready daily for changes have done so many. I can’t figure out where we keep getting the bacteria from. Have had fin rot in all our tanks but reef seems to take care of it on their own. Had to medicate this tank after 3 fish deaths and all the fish with signs of fin rot. We don’t know how to fix water quality. Large skimmer. Bioballs filter socks. 5 power heads and air bubblers. Change filters on RO DI. Have uv but off for medications. Nitrate only 5. I didn’t check phos but last time was not very high.
Thank you for your help. Fourfordfamily has been helping me a lot too and humblefish tried too. We are lost.
In tank now is Koran angel 12+yrs, emperor adult, magnificent angel, sm juvenile queen angel, porcupine puffer large 12+years old, Sohal 12+ yrs old 10”, Caribbean blue and Niger and Picasso triggers.
Trying to keep them alive and healthy. Will do anything we need but only have 40gal quarantine tank.
Thank you very much for your help.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll get the Paraguard ordered on Monday. We do Nori about four days a week when I’m home. But also, kril, mysis, brine/spironlina, clams, silversides, and rods reef predator blend and LRS chinky food. We mix the food and feed a variety of all these daily. This is a fish only predator tank. Triggers, puffers, eel, angels, tusk, and large Sohal. Now three fish gone and eel. :(
We have changed water almost every other day since dec 1. Had some ammonia and nitrite but immediate water changes and dr Tim’s added. Last two weeks both 0. Have been running carbon too with fresh ccarbon every 24-48 hours. We keep water ready daily for changes have done so many. I can’t figure out where we keep getting the bacteria from. Have had fin rot in all our tanks but reef seems to take care of it on their own. Had to medicate this tank after 3 fish deaths and all the fish with signs of fin rot. We don’t know how to fix water quality. Large skimmer. Bioballs filter socks. 5 power heads and air bubblers. Change filters on RO DI. Have uv but off for medications. Nitrate only 5. I didn’t check phos but last time was not very high.
Thank you for your help. Fourfordfamily has been helping me a lot too and humblefish tried too. We are lost.
In tank now is Koran angel 12+yrs, emperor adult, magnificent angel, sm juvenile queen angel, porcupine puffer large 12+years old, Sohal 12+ yrs old 10”, Caribbean blue and Niger and Picasso triggers.
Trying to keep them alive and healthy. Will do anything we need but only have 40gal quarantine tank.
We also tried general cure in the food for Sohal.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not the expert that @4FordFamily and @Humblefish are but these are things that have worked for me. The fin rot is indicative of a bacterial disease, many times a healthy fish in good water quality, it takes care of itself. When I've gotten concerned, paraguard has worked for me. Nitrates being at 5, water quality seems to be in check. I would still try some live macro for the koran and sohal, My friends and I like the fern caulerpa, gracillia is also a good option.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not the expert that @4FordFamily and @Humblefish are but these are things that have worked for me. The fin rot is indicative of a bacterial disease, many times a healthy fish in good water quality, it takes care of itself. When I've gotten concerned, paraguard has worked for me. Nitrates being at 5, water quality seems to be in check. I would still try some live macro for the koran and sohal, My friends and I like the fern caulerpa, gracillia is also a good option.
Where am I order those macro from. My LFS doesn’t carry them.??? I will try anything. My Sohal will eat anything except broccoli I even tried that! And the Koran only eats krill and pellets and won’t eat anything else. Was only pellets when I got it and then started eating the krill that was for the puffer. We also feed some pellets daily. But I’m willing to try anything to help them.
I feel like I’m missing something. But all water tests normal now. Except the trace copper. Have been trying to remove copper for two weeks. Thought the fish only would be easy but it’s not. Reef is easier so much healthier. Same water source also.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where am I order those macro from. My LFS doesn’t carry them.??? I will try anything. My Sohal will eat anything except broccoli I even tried that! And the Koran only eats krill and pellets and won’t eat anything else. Was only pellets when I got it and then started eating the krill that was for the puffer. We also feed some pellets daily. But I’m willing to try anything to help them.
I feel like I’m missing something. But all water tests normal now. Except the trace copper. Have been trying to remove copper for two weeks. Thought the fish only would be easy but it’s not. Reef is easier so much healthier. Same water source also.
Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate it alot

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed an algae based pellet, like New Life Spectrum Algaemax. I get my macro locally and my online macro source moved and has been out of everything, Gulf Coast Ecosystems. If you get some live macro, just rubber band it to a rock and drop it in. Its alive so it wont foul the water at all, it's a much better alternative to nori, and much more nutritious. I've seen many cases of lateral line reversed with routine feeding of live macro.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed an algae based pellet, like New Life Spectrum Algaemax. I get my macro locally and my online macro source moved and has been out of everything, Gulf Coast Ecosystems. If you get some live macro, just rubber band it to a rock and drop it in. Its alive so it wont foul the water at all, it's a much better alternative to nori, and much more nutritious. I've seen many cases of lateral line reversed with routine feeding of live macro.
I don’t think the pellet we use is the same. We use new life spectrum but not the algaemax. We ordered some more pellets last week but the company was sold out and cancelled our order. I will look for the algaemax one and some macro on Monday. See what we can find. We upgraded to this 8’ tank just to help the Sohal and it has gotten worse and then all these other problems. In our 180 the Sohal only had a little bit of what looked like hole in head but then we added a dogface puffer when we moved the tank and I didn’t copper the puffer only observation in quarantine and we got ick really bad. Did t have enough quarantine space for all the large fish so had to copper the whole tank. Just such a bummer we were trying to help and now our poor fish and eel. Thank you very much will try to place some orders Monday I work 12 shifts all weekend. Thank you for your help. I don’t usually create threads and didn’t have time to try to do it last night. Sorry for taking over the eel thread.

B6BD03A0-AEAF-438D-B284-26604C23145B.jpeg

BFB5A429-B062-4CA8-92E7-3E97C015669E.jpeg

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome thread here and yall have some great pics!! and some massive eels!! WOAH!! ive kept eels for about 5+ years. they are my passion. I've always kept pebble tooth eels (with the exception of the golden dwarf) because of their compatibility with other fish... and because I dont want to get bitten with big teeth. lol. I've had a zebra moray, 2 snowflakes, a golden dwarf moray, and currently, my dream eel, the skeletor. After I got out of the hobby for about a year or two, I was so excited to see that skeletors were becoming more available in the market!
I'll post some pics later of all the eels ive had.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome thread here and yall have some great pics!! and some massive eels!! WOAH!! ive kept eels for about 5+ years. they are my passion. I've always kept pebble tooth eels (with the exception of the golden dwarf) because of their compatibility with other fish... and because I dont want to get bitten with big teeth. lol. I've had a zebra moray, 2 snowflakes, a golden dwarf moray, and currently, my dream eel, the skeletor. After I got out of the hobby for about a year or two, I was so excited to see that skeletors were becoming more available in the market!

I've had a few golden dwarves. I just moved my current one into my 90 reef because he got a little too mouthy at feeding time with the smaller fish. I'd LOVE to have a skeletor, but I can't mix one with my golden dwarf, and I'd fear for my wrasses.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skeletors are great

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back