OP
OP
P

president89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 volts dc is usually a controll voltage. 40 volts dc is almost in heard of. 12 volts ac/dc and 24 volts dc is most common.
heaters, pumps, etc are aquarium ready and not DIY. Putting a homemade circuit near water carrying 120 volts just seems like a risk that doesn't need to be taken if you can do with DC. I'm not saying its always dangerous, but something bad could happen.

OP
OP
P

president89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. If you are just looking for the easiest way, then you've found your answer for the skimmate locker.
For forgetting to turn your pump off, you could simply get a 120v bathroom fan timer switch....the kind you spin the knob to 10, 20, 30 min etc.

That being said, by time you buy an ato just for the control, and bathroom timers, etc...there will always be something else, and as you mentioned....it would probably be cheaper and more practical in the long run to just get an aquarium controller that will handle any automation/failsafe stuff you want to do in the near and long run
Timer isn't exact but it's an option.
I am considering the RKL. However I may want to build this just for fun.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timer isn't exact but it's an option.
I am considering the RKL. However I may want to build this just for fun.

FYI: You may need to get the SL1 or the SL2 with the RKL. It was so long ago that I had mine that I forget if you can use the float switch without a system lab module.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back