OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved my pair of greenbanded gobies from QT to the display. I have a feeling I'm not going to see them much. . . they are so small they were hard to find sometimes in an empty 20-gallon tank. But they are cool little dudes.

GEqBhSgh.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved my pair of greenbanded gobies from QT to the display. I have a feeling I'm not going to see them much. . . they are so small they were hard to find sometimes in an empty 20-gallon tank. But they are cool little dudes.

GEqBhSgh.jpg
I love small fish. They can be so colourful.
But I also like the bigger tanks.... so it is one or the other.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started dosing nitrates today in the form of a sodium nitrate solution. Up until March my nitrates held around 4 ppm using a Red Sea Pro test, but since then they have been barely detectable and I bought new reagents to make sure it wasn't the test kit. I've increased fish load and feeding with no effect except increased phosphates. I'll see if I can get them slowly back up to hold at 4 ppm over the next week.

HyAsSYBh.png

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a swallowtail angel to the DT and to my surprise, brought the chromis back out into the water column. My purple tang has had them cowarding in the rocks most of the day but the angel has injected them with newly found bravado. Looking forward to adding my bimacs.

O6Qd80Ih.jpg

fMZweMPh.jpg

uH5Bih2h.jpg

justin.k.nelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good man. Where did you get that Sodium Nitrate from? I just bought a salifert test kit after my Redsea stuff expired. With my tank now growing well, I'm worried about NO3 levels are too low.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good man. Where did you get that Sodium Nitrate from? I just bought a salifert test kit after my Redsea stuff expired. With my tank now growing well, I'm worried about NO3 levels are too low.

https://www.amazon.com/Sodium-Nitrate-Reagent-Grade-chemically/dp/B0190TOJUS

You want food or reagent grade. Make sure you do not buy sodium nitrite. Use this calculator and choose potassium nitrate to get your dosage, then multiply the dosage by .84 (It takes less NaNO3 than KNO3 to provide the same amount of nitrate ppm) : http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/calculator.htm

I made a solution in a half gallon of RODI at a strength that will add 2 ppm for every 10ml I add to my 120 gallon. I'm testing daily now to get an idea of what the tank uses. I'll probably just dose manually going forward and not worry about dialing in another dosing pump. I usually test on Wed and Sat and once I figure out how my solution works I'll just bring it back to 4ppm the days I test.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And my daughter wanted to make sure I included a pic of the procelain crab, which apparently now goes by the name "Bob"...
Cute..Hey I just seen your thread and had to say "it is one of the best built and thought out builds on here" following

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

A side effect on adding the swallowtail angel: Even though she is of the Genicanthus genus of angels, which are planktivores and one of the few "reef safe" angels, I noticed that within a week of putting her in there I've had a large reduction in my polyp extension during the day. I watch her and have never seen her pick at any of the corals. It's as if the tank knows that there is some type of angel present.

Some frags I picked up from @FarmerTy the last time I was over admiring his tank. Top to bottom: Farmer Ty Eternal Flame shortcake (colors dulled a bit in my system - wating for the pink to come back), Farmer Ty Ectoplasm (this one is going to be nice) and a Farmer Ty Blue Lemonade. Very nice frags.

PWjpb4lh.jpg

A couple more to share:

Top left is a frag from a wild acro I received from @BoomCorals. Top right is an unknown I picked up at an LFS that looked like it would color up nicely.

IpcL8IPh.jpg

Fraghouse Corals Purple Bonsai which looks more amazing every week:

eGWvPnSh.jpg

And I couldn't help myself - I bought a male Ruby Red Dragonette and have him in QT. I put a ball of chaeto in with him to supply some food and am also feeding him tisbee pods. I'm not overly concerned about getting him to eat frozen because my display tank is loaded with pods when he's finally introduced.

YTFll3vh.jpg

Finally, I guess out of all those cerith snail eggs a few make it. Seen this little guy this morning:

V4jtTWsh.jpg

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll never be without them.
A good sand sitter will clear it in no time.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 152 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back