OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me personally, I wouldn't put a Sherman in my acro tank. They are known to be prolific splitters and anytime I've had a nem split on me, one of them would walk the tank in a path if destruction. Plus, they can grow over 14" across!

I think you made the right decision.

So what's the difference really with traditional bubble tips? Many, including you, have managed to work one into your display (lol - not that yours is a run of the mill regular bubble tip - :D ). I had thought they are not always with their tentacles inflated and can spread out as well. Is it just the Sherman that's a problem?

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what's the difference really with traditional bubble tips? Many, including you, have managed to work one into your display (lol - not that yours is a run of the mill regular bubble tip - :D ). I had thought they are not always with their tentacles inflated and can spread out as well. Is it just the Sherman that's a problem?
Its just the Sherman for your scenario. They just split like crazy and can get giant!

Even getting a nice rainbow BTA would be more recommended then putting the Sherman back in your tank. Just account for full growth size on the anemone and glue colonies out of their reach and expect once every year or two, that it might split so capture the split as soon as you can and remove it and sell it off.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Build. Excellent, Tidy, well use of space. Wish I noticed your thread when I started my 110 In-Wall. Too late it's just finished, but I see room for improvement on some of your tidy setup touches.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Build. Excellent, Tidy, well use of space. Wish I noticed your thread when I started my 110 In-Wall. Too late it's just finished, but I see room for improvement on some of your tidy setup touches.

I appreciate the comment. I actually was reading your thread the other day. The transformation of the before and after pics of your fish room was amazing and I especially like how you did the control boards throughout the room. I have no clue how you get a darn thing done with the tank right next to your desk. . . I would not have the focus required to keep from wanting to watch the tank! :)

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the comment. I actually was reading your thread the other day. The transformation of the before and after pics of your fish room was amazing and I especially like how you did the control boards throughout the room. I have no clue how you get a darn thing done with the tank right next to your desk. . . I would not have the focus required to keep from wanting to watch the tank! :)

Well if you want to know the nitty gritty details, I documented every step of the Tear Down, and re-build in these two threads.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2662587 (Tear Down)
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2669007 (Build up)

I love the FRONT/TOP Hinged Front Flap you did. Wish I could do that (I wanted). I can't, since the wires are there (on front of tank)
So to feed fish, I have to walk about 40 feet to sump room. (back side of tank)

But Might want something like that for side of tank(Over it). (What kind of hinge is that. (must be strong to hold up that large flap) Send link or where you got it)

I do have a mini side door, so I can get my glass cleaning magnet Tunzie Strong around the whole tank (between two rooms) without out removing it.

I really want one of these Water containers you got ( Brute Can). Are they translucent? I want to see water line on the one that doesn't Auto Top up.
Want one for my Auto Water changer (mix salt water), but need to know when it's empty without raising Garbage Can lid.
Where do you get those? I'm looking for relatively cheap ones. Maybe a wine making store, not sure.

Funny how we both started our builds with Masking Tape. You guys were more creative (with the fish added :) LOL ).

You are a little bit ahead of me, and I'll be tailing along on your thread.

Learning from others and sharing is a good thing that can save someone some grief or rework.
Great work!! Looks great. Congrats.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm..... Reading more..... That mixing tank is interesting. Those Pipe holes you did with the water flowing, is that for fill up, and/or siphon break, or does it somehow continue to re-circulate-flow to mix up the water? (How do you mix in that Salt Water Tank).

Sorry if I'm going back in time. That was March 2017.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I'm peppering you with question....Hope you don't mind.
Just wondering, since this is still a future option for me.

How quiet is all that Hard Plumbing. I had stiff plumbing for a section of sump hookup, years ago. But it would hum....Resonate vibration from pumps (drove me nuts, and nothing would get rid of sound....even pads under return pump, skimmer, sump didn't help).
Since then I've always used soft tubing for noise and flexibility. And new tank purrs quietly, I only hear water trickles.
but hard plumbing looks great, and better for Conrol Valves.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But Might want something like that for side of tank(Over it). (What kind of hinge is that. (must be strong to hold up that large flap) Send link or where you got it)

I really want one of these Water containers you got ( Brute Can). Are they translucent? I want to see water line on the one that doesn't Auto Top up.
Want one for my Auto Water changer (mix salt water), but need to know when it's empty without raising Garbage Can lid.
Where do you get those? I'm looking for relatively cheap ones. Maybe a wine making store, not sure.

Great questions. I've been pleased with the hinges and make use of that door often. It is a type of swing up hinge. There are a number of different types on the market. Here's a link to the manufacturer site but I can't locate where I actually bought them: https://www.hafele.com/us/en/product/swing-up-fitting-free-flap-1.7-set/000000840000f1d400020023/

The salt water RODI/Mixing station containers are 25 gallon roto molded storage containers that come with a built in bulkhead. I bought them here: https://www.ntotank.com/25gallon-no...WdH6R4M09OAVDwVqFYp2D1ML4WJQYNhxoCYDAQAvD_BwE
Shipping costs are normally ridiculous from all vendors on storage tanks but I was able to pick them up myself passing through Memphis on a trip.

Those pipes and valves do several things:
  • Allow me to gravity feed RODI water to the saltwater mixing tank
  • Gravity feed RODI to my 7 gallon water top off tank
  • The top one is an emergency overflow in case my RODI fill valve malfunctions
  • Circulate water in the saltwater tank to mix the salt
  • Move old water out of the sump to the drain for water changes
  • Move new water into the sump for water changes
  • Use a filling hose for RODI water needs
  • Use a filler hose for either fresh saltwater mix or tank water (which I use to do water changes in my quarantine tank)
No buckets, no manual mixing, no pouring down drains. . . just turning switches and valves like I'm Willy Wonka in the candy factory. Also - I used the same pump to run the mixing station as my main return pump. . . that way I have an exact back up that I can use immediately if I have an issue with the display tank return pump.

Overall I have little to no noise. Noisiest part is if I'm mixing new saltwater with the pump on high speed.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice on the Plumbing design for the Water Management.

And thank for the Parts tips.

I'm still reading through your thread in Spare time (which is very little right now)....Tuning water, Lights to throw in first frags into DT. Plus I got 3 QT's going for the Final (very Final Fish).

Keep up the good work, I'll be tagging along.

justin.k.nelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks about the Sherman man. My own Sherman and clowns I had to relocate in my sump to avoid the nem walking around the tank. Since my new 2016 apex controller is too fat for my current equipment cabinet, I'm planning on building a new one that is a little bit wider and deeper. On top of that, I plan to make an acrylic tank that is plumbed to my dt via my manifold to house my nem and clowns. That way I can enjoy them and keep my nem from walking around my tank

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received this frag from BattleCorals and there was some discrepancy about what it was. Now I know it is a Sniper's Blueberry Yum Yum and I wish the camera would really do justice to the color. Very dark blue with a green base. I really like this one and can't wait for it to grow out:

a0uPr49h.jpg

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's cookin' in the QT: Swallowtail Angel, 2 green banded gobies, and 4 Black Axil Chromis. . . which of course one already shows signs of having uronema. :( Pics to follow.

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's cookin' in the QT: Swallowtail Angel, 2 green banded gobies, and 4 Black Axil Chromis. . . which of course one already shows signs of having uronema. :( Pics to follow.
How do you run your QT?

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you run your QT?

I have two 20g longs and a 10g, the 20's are in separate rooms. Typically it's acclimate, feed/rest for a day, two rounds of Prazi, Chloroquine Phosphate for 30 days, observe for another week or two, put in DT.

I put myself in a jam this time, however, because I bought the swallowtail and gobies and put them in one 20g and was planning to put the Black Axil chromis in the other. However I was notified that the bimac anthias I've been waiting on for over a month are finally coming next week. That forced me to put the chromis in with the swallowtail as the anthias can't do CP. Since one of the chromis (from Live Aquaria) appears it may have uronema (which I didn't catch when I got them today) now my swallowtail is at risk. CP does wonders, though, so we'll see what happens.

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. . . and I no sooner typed that and went over to look and one of the chromis has already severed its mortal coil. I really am not a fan of chromis, but the Black Axil is one my wife likes and it's been hard to get her interested. We accidently got one with a group of regular blue-green chromis and they look so much nicer she asked me to get a few more. Oh well. Hopefully the other three pull through, but I won't hold my breath.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back