Simon's 450

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, probably so. Quartet of MP60 certainly are not sand ‘friendly’. Have a couple of tubs of sand that cane out of my shut down refugium. Been fermenting ever since. Will be fun mixing those around .... phew eeeeee

A little Vick's Vapo-Rub in each nostril... ;)

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although in politics changing your position on something seems tantamount to career suicide, fortunately reefing is less intolerant (and much less petty). What AM I talking about you may well ask. Well I’ve long resisted the idea of automating dosing based on measurements, but now that I’ve lived with trident for almost eight months I’ve had a change of heart. Flip flopper, liar ..... toady!

I’ve just ordered a second DOS with the intention of supplementing my CaRx based on trident readings. Latter will still carry the majority of the load but dosing (mostly alk) will allow me to gain a bit of levels stability. I’ve recently added a sulfur reactor to my system, and while it has destroyed nitrate levels, it has also done a job on my alkalinity. Boosting the CaRx has resulted in calcium levels that are too high, which can further depress alk. Need to get this better controlled before my work travel ramps back up in February.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had been toying with getting a reefbot, but with the lack of cogent reviews I think I shall wait a while to see how, or whether, it stands the test of time. I also suspect that further automated testing kit from Neptune is almost inevitable.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see ….

Tangs - Naso Brevirostris, Naso Liturgis, Regal/Hippo, Gem, Longnose Black, Yellow, Purple, Desjardini sailfin, Chevron, Polyzona and Convict.
Angels - Emperor, Red Sea Regal, Rock Beauty, Flame (2), Potters, LemonPeel and Eibli.
Wrasses - orange back, labouts, meleagris leopard (2), ornate leopard, Bipartitus leopard, Jewelled leopard, Potters leopard, black leopard, dusky margined and a bluestreak cleaner
Pseudoanthis - Bartlett (5) and Bimac (4)
Butterfly - pyramid (4) and zoster (3)
Cardinals - PJ (3), bangaii (2), ochre striped (3) and a yellow striped.
Too many damsels to count - Rolland (3), Talbot (4), azure (4), ambon (2) and a bunch of yellow tails.
Misc. - Green chromis, pair of clowns, zebra eel, red hawkfish

Probably missed a few, but nominally around 100.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see ….

Tangs - Naso Brevirostris, Naso Liturgis, Regal/Hippo, Gem, Longnose Black, Yellow, Purple, Desjardini sailfin, Chevron, Polyzona and Convict.
Angels - Emperor, Red Sea Regal, Rock Beauty, Flame (2), Potters, LemonPeel and Eibli.
Wrasses - orange back, labouts, meleagris leopard (2), ornate leopard, Bipartitus leopard, Jewelled leopard, Potters leopard, black leopard, dusky margined and a bluestreak cleaner
Too many damsels to count - Rolland (3), Talbot (4), azure (4), ambon (2) and a bunch of yellow tails.

That’s amazing list. How do you find your damsels? Everything that I read is that they’re feisty and attack everyone

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the damsels. Dascyullus genus most definitely should be avoided. Chrysiptera are generally fine, particularly in larger groups in a big tank. I have no issues with them. Now, all those zebrasoma tangs ... watch the proverbial fur fly.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see ….

I took a screen shot for inspiration!

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the damsels. Dascyullus genus most definitely should be avoided. Chrysiptera are generally fine, particularly in larger groups in a big tank. I have no issues with them. Now, all those zebrasoma tangs ... watch the proverbial fur fly.
What damsels would you recommend for a 205 gallon display? I want some anthias and wrasse. I like your selection on both

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What damsels would you recommend for a 205 gallon display? I want some anthias and wrasse. I like your selection on both
Bruce, I put 6 azure damsels, & 1 yellow tail in my 188. I would do it again but I think I should have added them last. They are turds but I love them.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bruce, I put 6 azure damsels, & 1 yellow tail in my 188. I would do it again but I think I should have added them last. They are turds but I love them.
Thank you very much for your response and info. What would they do as turds? I like the idea of having some schoals of colourful fish amongst my wrasse, angels and tangs that I also want to get

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for your response and info. What would they do as turds? I like the idea of having some schoals of colourful fish amongst my wrasse, angels and tangs that I also want to get
Damsels are not really a shoaling fish. They will group together a bit but mostly they bicker and squabble harmlessly amongst themselves - Each staking out a small section if the rockwork for themselves. But with any new addition the most dominate one nips and occasionally tears fins of a singly added new fish. And they kinda take turns chasing the new guy. I am going to add 4 fish at once to the DT this time to see if it helps. As I said I think adding them last would have been smarter on my part.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels are not really a shoaling fish. They will group together a bit but mostly they bicker and squabble harmlessly amongst themselves - Each staking out a small section if the rockwork for themselves. But with any new addition the most dominate one nips and occasionally tears fins of a singly added new fish. And they kinda take turns chasing the new guy. I am going to add 4 fish at once to the DT this time to see if it helps. As I said I think adding them last would have been smarter on my part.
Oh ok. Could you let me know how it goes by adding 4 fish at the same time please? What fish are you adding?

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Yup this is exactly how it is with the 20-30 I have in my 180g. If you have a good amount of SPS colonies they will be perfectly fine.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup this is exactly how it is with the 20-30 I have in my 180g. If you have a good amount of SPS colonies they will be perfectly fine.
I don’t have any real corals. I have fake rock and coral and my decorations. A big wall with caves, tunnels and overhangs

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very large green slimmer colony and the damsels live in and amongst the branches. There’s a picture of that somewhere in this thread. I don’t have any aggression issues other than a bit of bickering amongst the yellow tails. Always found them to be a pretty meek fish actually. I do think though, given the right conditions, any fish can be a bully.

The other smaller fish that I like a lot is the chalk basslet. Don’t have any in my tank at the moment but I may add a few once my QT tanks becomes available again.

Last edited:

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very large green slimmer colony and the damsels live in and amongst the branches. There’s a picture of that somewhere in this thread. I don’t have any aggression issues other than a bit of bickering amongst the yellow tails. Always found them to be a pretty meek fish actually. I do think though, given the right conditions, any fish can be a bully.

The other smaller fish that I like a lot is the chalk basslet. Don’t have any in my tank at the moment but I may add a few once my QT tanks becomes available again.
Would you out a group of them in the tank?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back