Single big aiptasia in bad spot - what to do?

dbr1206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I have seen baby aiptasia pop up in my tank very infrequently, I usually spot about 1-2 a week (if any at all) and I’m a person with really good eyesight. These baby aiptasia have always been on a rock or frag that I was able to pull out and treat out of water, however in this case, I have discovered a noticeably larger aiptasia on a rock that I am unable to take out of the water and treat, so I am looking for a non-predator option that I can hit that one polyp with to make it disappear without spreading spores everywhere and giving me an infestation. I don’t have a full infestation yet but I don’t want to provoke one.

I say non-predator because my tank is a nano (15g) so I have no room for a filefish or CBB, and peppermint shrimp are something I just find too risky to my corals to get me to try one.

Berghia are not a cost-effective option for me right now. I don’t have access to unlimited money and there really aren’t that many aiptasia in my system and they don’t spread too fast. Also, I’m worried about the berghia getting eaten by my livestock. I would get berghia if I had more aiptasia for them to eat.
7382571F-4E7F-4903-96BD-264BE32A9C14.jpeg

Sorry if the picture is bad.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you can reach it, hit it with a good amount of superglue!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dbr1206

dbr1206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix up a nice glob of reefscaping epoxy and just smother it with it. Can't release spores from under it.
I like this idea, I smother aiptasia with superglue already but only when I can get them out of water. Any specific brand to use? I’ve never used epoxy before. Can I just take a big glob with my hand and stick it on the aiptasia underwater?

Upvote 0

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. That is what it is made for. Two Little Fishy and others make the epoxy. You can even get it in purple to match the rock.

Upvote 0

Mathew0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I found some in my tank i mixed up some super strong lye and used a titration tip syringe to hit it right in the mouth area. It melted them nearly instantly. The only side effect is a small increase in PH, as long as you get the good pure stuff. However, I have 125. A small nano might actually see a big PH swing from a little bit of lye. I've heard citric acid works in much the same way, or even lemon/lime juice

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back