Six Line Wrasse

ae87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Backstory:

We have a 42 g tank with about 15 lbs live rock growing sponge, mushroom looking coral, added a long tentacle anemone, an Lyretail Anthias, Blenny, Shark Nose Goby, File Fish, starfish and various cleaners-all doing great, all been with the wrasse.

The Wrasse has been “hiding” for a bout three days. He typically comes out in the morning to feed, and by lunch he’s back in the sand. Doesn’t normally stay gone for days.

In the past week, we have added 2 damsels (that we had to isolate at first) and these plastic plants.

How I feed my fish is with a turkey baster. Always have. This way I can ensure it gets to everyone/thing. (Sometimes they can’t wait and take it right from the baster lol) He finally poked up today after being gone the three days and I went along and fed them as usual, but this time the turkey baster scared him back under the sand-gah!

Anyone know anything more on damsels? Could it be the fake plants? These really are the only two differences...oh, we also went through the awesome process of installing a new filter(2 to be precise, had to take initial one back-bubbles everywhere)

Think he’s just stressed?

How can I help him?

OP
OP
ae87

ae87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pseudocheilinus do not bury. Do you have a photo?
He’s quite shy, but here’s a quick shot of him from recent- poking his head out :)

BD1E8D4B-1ABB-43EE-BE09-1593B27D0691.jpeg

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s quite shy, but here’s a quick shot of him from recent- poking his head out :)

BD1E8D4B-1ABB-43EE-BE09-1593B27D0691.jpeg
That is a Halichoeres biocellatus; the "Red lined" wrasse.
Being forced into the sand with this genus is a sign of being bullied. Considering the damsels were the recent change, it seems they will not be compatible together.

OP
OP
ae87

ae87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a Halichoeres biocellatus; the "Red lined" wrasse.
Being forced into the sand with this genus is a sign of being bullied. Considering the damsels were the recent change, it seems they will not be compatible together.

Oooh boy. Thank you very much for the clarification, as well as the scientific name. I initially looked up “red lined wrasse” and got no results, so that in itself was a big help. I will be looking out for him and monitoring everyone’s behavior to see if I can observe what you’re saying. Makes sense-A part of me at this point is just hoping maybe it’s been all the movement in general so I don’t have to rid the tank of them...but the damsels are some that will swim to the baster and could’ve scared him. Arg. *fingers crossed* thanks again!

OP
OP
ae87

ae87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just judging from the front half I'd say he's a "she".:D

WHAT?! Awe. I’ve been calling my target/spotted mandarin a he and I’m also thinking “he” may be a “she” as well. My poor, confused fishies and their confused owners. LOL

Thank you, I’m going to look further into these now. :)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw 6 line and hiding and I was scratching my head trying to figure out what was wrong with this picture. Then I saw Damsels and Red Lined Wrasse and it all makes sense now. :D

OP
OP
ae87

ae87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw 6 line and hiding and I was scratching my head trying to figure out what was wrong with this picture. Then I saw Damsels and Red Lined Wrasse and it all makes sense now. [emoji1]

Do they generally not integrate very well? I’m observing them from a distance as I type. One larger damsel is rubbing against a rock and chasing the other slightly smaller damsel. Also just saw my timid file fish take a charge at it. Darted and then went to the side to do the up and down daily routine lol

Do damsels host or get territorial? I just saw the larger one whipping back and forth against a rock again much like a clown we had once would do...

This same one jumps from time to time at the Anthias, but she bucks back. Couldn’t tell if they were playing, but their fins stand up when this happens...and her fins are always nice and relaxed, even when she comes to tell me “hi” everyday.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As my H. biocellatus has transitioned from female to terminal phase male he has become much more assertive. He pesters my flame female and my flasher wrasses a little. Not enough to be a problem but he is not what I would call demur. :D

This was him/her in QT a little over a year ago.

And this is what HE looks like now. (pardon the bad picture...just happy to get all 3 of those wrasses lined up)
Wrasse trio2 (1 of 1).jpg

OP
OP
ae87

ae87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As my H. biocellatus has transitioned from female to terminal phase male he has become much more assertive. He pesters my flame female and my flasher wrasses a little. Not enough to be a problem but he is not what I would call demur. :D

This was him/her in QT a little over a year ago.

And this is what HE looks like now. (pardon the bad picture...just happy to get all 3 of those wrasses lined up)
Wrasse trio2 (1 of 1).jpg

Oh my goodness. So beefy and beautiful! I have officially“grounded” our potential trouble maker Damsel.
7f3f039d2375fc21dbaaa49c27177a19.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some damsel species are relatively peaceful, others are holy terrors. The species you have is one of the more aggressive damsel species.

OP
OP
ae87

ae87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some damsel species are relatively peaceful, others are holy terrors. The species you have is one of the more aggressive damsel species.

Oh nice. Very misleading name...and fish store. The other damsel I left free swimming seems to be doing alright with the other so far...it’s been overnight, so I’m still keeping a lookout. Our Anthias is super happy the one is locked up. She’ll go buck up at the seclusion box “think about what you did” lololol

U

User1

View Badges
If you have enough rock for hiding places or places for them to call home, or a mature tank with a lot of coral of various types Damsels will work wonderfully. Usually you are looking for something in the Chrysiptera line such as Azures, Talbots, etc. Others, while pretty, are typically more aggressive and territorial.

OP
OP
ae87

ae87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have enough rock for hiding places or places for them to call home, or a mature tank with a lot of coral of various types Damsels will work wonderfully. Usually you are looking for something in the Chrysiptera line such as Azures, Talbots, etc. Others, while pretty, are typically more aggressive and territorial.

ab2f1ad0180237e976564e4261cedfb2.jpg

Out and about today!!! Our Anthias is still a little iffy about the Damsel that’s left free. She seems to be our protector of the tank. Looks like I may be getting rid of both Damsels. It’s a good think our actual fish store is have a Cinco De Mayo event today lol I’ll haul em up there and see if there’s any takers! :)

I’m just so happy to see the Wrasse out! :) :)

Random question. My husband had picked out these Damsels. He had really been wanting something like a Tang, but is afraid they’d be too aggressive with the ones we have now. I know it’s a fish by fish basis, but are there any Tangs that are more timid?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they generally not integrate very well? I’m observing them from a distance as I type. One larger damsel is rubbing against a rock and chasing the other slightly smaller damsel. Also just saw my timid file fish take a charge at it. Darted and then went to the side to do the up and down daily routine lol

Do damsels host or get territorial? I just saw the larger one whipping back and forth against a rock again much like a clown we had once would do...

This same one jumps from time to time at the Anthias, but she bucks back. Couldn’t tell if they were playing, but their fins stand up when this happens...and her fins are always nice and relaxed, even when she comes to tell me “hi” everyday.

Damsels are known for being jerks and unfriendly to new additions. Red Lined Wrasses are generally pretty peaceful and docile and hence they can be bullied by more assertive fish. Just me but Damsels and Dottybacks (other than maybe an Orchid) are banned from my tanks. I won't touch them for the reasons you mentioned. As for Tangs, what size tank do you have? A few of the Tang species can do okay in 4 foot long tanks but most need 6-8 feet long tanks.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some damsels are well behaved. Chrysiptera genus readily comes to mind with some highly recommended species.

OP
OP
ae87

ae87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels are known for being jerks and unfriendly to new additions. Red Lined Wrasses are generally pretty peaceful and docile and hence they can be bullied by more assertive fish. Just me but Damsels and Dottybacks (other than maybe an Orchid) are banned from my tanks. I won't touch them for the reasons you mentioned. As for Tangs, what size tank do you have? A few of the Tang species can do okay in 4 foot long tanks but most need 6-8 feet long tanks.

45 gallon. Sounds like they ALL get pretty big!

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
45 gallon. Sounds like they ALL get pretty big!

For a 45 gallon tank NO TANG is suitable. You might be able to do a Pygmy Angel in there if you are looking for that similar sort of shape with some color.

Back