OP
ae87

ae87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 45 gallon tank NO TANG is suitable. You might be able to do a Pygmy Angel in there if you are looking for that similar sort of shape with some color.

Glad I went ahead and mentioned it! && I will look into the Angels, thank you for the suggestion :)

OP
OP
ae87

ae87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooo... I went to our regular fish store to get some more live rock upon pondering all the information you guys fed me on the Wrasse. “SHE” :) loves it. More places for her to swim under, probably feels safer.

I brought up the “red line Wrasse” and the guy was very confused. Said “I think you mean the six line, I don’t think there is such thing as a red line...” That being said, they totally sold me a red line as a six line not knowing. That part doesn’t bother me or anything, but I would like to bring it to their attention about the red line... any suggestions on how to bring it up without coming off rude? They really are a great place and I don’t want to come off offensive.

I saw some actual six line they had in the store and was able to see the difference in person. Really love the red line and her “peacock” spots [emoji7]

7d9945071f4ed66a087562c1c53dc9da.jpg

5caf9ccf324c9cb8a68457cf3bf1f2e5.jpg

I was able to get a couple more of her. She just doesn’t stay still for very long... unless she’s under the sand [emoji1] My husband got to witness her coming up out of the sand this morning! He said it was really neat :)

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tank size would you guys recommend for the red line? that is one beautiful fish:p

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also curious... do female wrasses stay smaller than the males? I noticed on live aquaria that they sell the females and juveniles at the same size (normally small)

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LFS may be nice, but you will need to go in there doing the homework before, while in the store, or afterwards. It's hard enough buying a known fish and it working out in your tank, let alone someone selling you the wrong one. 6 line, red line may not seem like a big deal, but it can be. I would educate myself before, in or afterwards. Make sure you know what you are getting. Use the liveaquaria site while in the store for research if you feel you must make a purchase. Correcting them, it may or may not be received well. Bottom line, just stay educated on it and verify what they say just to be safe :) We're here for you :)

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! What about the difference in size between male and female?
I think you'd find this worth your time: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.28/
About Protogynous Hermaphroditism & Sexual Dichromatism

Wrasses are protogynous hermaphrodites. Settled as a juvenile, they all start as female. Females then transition to male in the wild as the environment (harem conditions and space) require. Females can/may transition to male in a closed system as well, which often occurs if kept in the presence of other males of a different or same species.
Females don't usually stay female.

OP
OP
ae87

ae87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LFS may be nice, but you will need to go in there doing the homework before, while in the store, or afterwards. It's hard enough buying a known fish and it working out in your tank, let alone someone selling you the wrong one. 6 line, red line may not seem like a big deal, but it can be. I would educate myself before, in or afterwards. Make sure you know what you are getting. Use the liveaquaria site while in the store for research if you feel you must make a purchase. Correcting them, it may or may not be received well. Bottom line, just stay educated on it and verify what they say just to be safe :) We're here for you :)

Good advice :) [emoji1360]

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I've done when stumped on the for sure ID of a wrasse is take a pic with my cell phone and post it here. TJ and Hunter are around a lot of the time it helped me avoid a bad choice or two when I was starting out.

We have some good LFS around here but they always use common names which can be confusing and usually just go with what ever the supplier says the fish is.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 29.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back