Size tank help for clowns

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

so I’ve been looking at tanks for the two clownfish and nem I’m going to put into this 120Litre/32~ gallon tank.

I just want to seek advice regarding whether this will be of the right size for two clowns and a nem. I can’t really afford to go much bigger than this, and this would be much more suitable for the space I have in my study for it. I’d like to get some corals in the future, not anything massive, just some small ones, and just want to make sure my clowns will still be happy!

regards, yanni

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and yes that'll fit two clowns just fine. You can also add 1 or 2 more nano fish in the future if you'd like. As for the nem, I think a BTA is your best bet, though even that might still take over the tank.

One complaint I have for the MiniReef 120 is the sump. Its design is horrible. If I were you, I'd just remove the middle baffle, then flip it around and use the skimmer section for a return section and use the large area for a skimmer and other media.

On my tank, I downsized the sump, so as to accommodate an ATO in the stand.

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you give it 6 months before getting an anemone. They won't survive in a fresh tank

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I have the same tank and yes that'll fit two clowns just fine. You can also add 1 or 2 more nano fish in the future if you'd like. As for the nem, I think a BTA is your best bet, though even that might still take over the tank.

One complaint I have for the MiniReef 120 is the sump. Its design is horrible. If I were you, I'd just remove the middle baffle, then flip it around and use the skimmer section for a return section and use the large area for a skimmer and other media.

On my tank, I downsized the sump, so as to accommodate an ATO in the stand.
If it attempts to take over, what do I do? And would I be able to add any corals to the tank as well?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a nem that big is a good thing. Starting out just worry about keeping it alive.

s0mthinG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 30 Gallon is more than enough for a pair of clowns and a small nem as long as you are willing to suit just about everything to them and they will be your main consideration when choosing anything else for the tank. I currently have a juvenile pair of Darwin Clownfish ~1"-2" each in a 15 gallon (2'x1'x1') AIO with a young (2.5"-3") bubble tip. The bubble tip will get almost 1' across over time but I am planning for that in advance. I'd say 15 is the minimum, a 20 would do better! So a 120 liter is perfect :)

s0mthinG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

If it attempts to take over, what do I do? And would I be able to add any corals to the tank as well?
I've heard that you can cut them to forcibly split them if they are too big. You can also keep your light levels higher to try to avoid it wanting to stretch out. With high par, they like to sit a little tighter

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

Sorry for the late reply, didn't get the notification from R2R. If you don't want it to get very large, don't feed it, though clowns that are hosted will sometimes feed the nem. Then if it splits, sell the one of the clones.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh
I've heard that you can cut them to forcibly split them if they are too big. You can also keep your light levels higher to try to avoid it wanting to stretch out. With high par, they like to sit a little tighter
Ohhh okay I see, thank you

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has always been my drawback from adding a nem to my tank. I've seen how big they get, and suddenly your tank is anemone and clowns.

Make sure to protect the nems from your intake and powerheads. Don't want to wake up to shredded anemone

s0mthinG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That has always been my drawback from adding a nem to my tank. I've seen how big they get, and suddenly your tank is anemone and clowns.

Make sure to protect the nems from your intake and powerheads. Don't want to wake up to shredded anemone
+1

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They will grow very large with proper (a lot) of light. A lot of light won’t keep them from “stretching” for light. They grow. They’re alive.... they live off of the nutrients in the water table as well as the light. Cutting them to split them is basically just hacking off some and keeping a big enough piece to struggle to stay alive and heal, and do it all over again.

I had my anemone in a 20g and it never left the rock I got it on. It did split. If you give away the splits then you may be ok, but an anemone always presents a risk of walking around your tank and killing off your coral, so choose the tank-mates wisely...... stay away from the $300 frags of fancy acros...... no sense risking it.

My Anemone is STILL 2 years later on the rock it was attached to the day I bought it (because they couldn’t get it off) but has split several times, and it gets a LOT of light. (also I have never directly given it food in 2 years)

6A2A99BE-9B2E-41BA-9007-BA5AE6B204CC.jpeg
9234294B-5D32-4BAA-84E0-8AB74CDD8E38.jpeg
D0D6E89E-A36D-457D-A732-DF45C8BB97AB.jpeg

s0mthinG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will grow very large with proper (a lot) of light. A lot of light won’t keep them from “stretching” for light. They grow. They’re alive.... they live off of the nutrients in the water table as well as the light. Cutting them to split them is basically just hacking off some and keeping a big enough piece to struggle to stay alive and heal, and do it all over again.
They will "stretch" and span a lot larger of a distance than another nem of their size if they do not get the amount of light they want. Also, I believe OP was leaning to bubble tip nems which max out at around 12" diameter. It looks like you have either a Sebae or Ritteri which tend to get much larger. I also didn't vouch for the manual method of propagation as I have no personal experience with it. Was merely giving another lead OP could look into.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fh

I had my anemone in a 20g and it never left the rock I got it on. It did split. If you give away the splits then you may be ok, but an anemone always presents a risk of walking around your tank and killing off your coral, so choose the tank-mates wisely...... stay away from the $300 frags of fancy acros...... no sense risking it.

My Anemone is STILL 2 years later on the rock it was attached to the day I bought it (because they couldn’t get it off) but has split several times, and it gets a LOT of light. (also I have never directly given it food in 2 years)

6A2A99BE-9B2E-41BA-9007-BA5AE6B204CC.jpeg
9234294B-5D32-4BAA-84E0-8AB74CDD8E38.jpeg
D0D6E89E-A36D-457D-A732-DF45C8BB97AB.jpeg
That nem is massive holy

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will "stretch" and span a lot larger of a distance than another nem of their size if they do not get the amount of light they want. Also, I believe OP was leaning to bubble tip nems which max out at around 12" diameter. It looks like you have either a Sebae or Ritteri which tend to get much larger. I also didn't vouch for the manual method of propagation as I have no personal experience with it. Was merely giving another lead OP could look into.

That is a RBTA

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back