Skimmer Q&A Thread

MiZuboov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the real example. I've filled of water my aquarium with sump.In the sump established water level on 30cm. Maybe i will do it higher on 10cm. For the experiment I've install two skimmers: royal exclusive and elos. And..Elos skimmer is working, but royal exclusive doesnt. In chamber the royal exclusive skimmer is established too low level of water and therefore a foam kept too low too.It is below the cup approx 7cm. On this basis can speak about existing rules installation of different models skimmers.

MiZuboov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the real example. I've filled of water my aquarium with sump.In the sump established water level on 30cm. Maybe i will do it higher on 10cm. For the experiment I've install two skimmers: royal exclusive and elos. And..Elos skimmer is working, but royal exclusive doesnt. In chamber the royal exclusive skimmer is established too low level of water and therefore a foam kept too low too.It is below the cup approx 7cm. On this basis can speak about existing rules installation of different models skimmers.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you are asking, sorry. the bubble king, vertex and somatic skimmers are notorious for best running at low internal sump levels, but
every system is different. the best way i've found to adjust a skimmer is to first run the air fully open and open the standpipe or gate valve fully. Then, wait for a solid foam head to form (hours to maybe a full day), then SLOWLY close the wedge pipe or gate valve in small increments, the monitor for at least an hour between adjustments. keep doing this until the foam head is high enough to produce the desired skimmate (wet or dry)

again, all systems are different.

the resistance to constantly tinker wit a skimmer is the key to successfully tuning one.

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A6E77F8E-AB06-489C-81B7-4CAC2072CE18.jpeg
A8C8F3DD-13A0-40E8-B04B-25BBC69DC940.jpeg
CCD27829-45B0-41A5-B25D-2D0D7F16B437.jpeg
Why my skimmer is creating less and lesser bubbles ? I have clean the skimmer cup, the neck, and even check the air inlet with the venturi to see if they are clogged, but all of them are fine. What’s the problem ?

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a stupid question but I am currently running a Red Sea Berlin Airlift on my 32 biocube. It originally had a wooden air stone but that broke so I put a standard air stone that you can buy anywhere. Is there any benefit to using a wooden air stone over a blue air stone that you can buy anywhere?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A6E77F8E-AB06-489C-81B7-4CAC2072CE18.jpeg
A8C8F3DD-13A0-40E8-B04B-25BBC69DC940.jpeg
CCD27829-45B0-41A5-B25D-2D0D7F16B437.jpeg
Why my skimmer is creating less and lesser bubbles ? I have clean the skimmer cup, the neck, and even check the air inlet with the venturi to see if they are clogged, but all of them are fine. What’s the problem ?
is it pushing a lot of water through the effluent (output)?

it's one of 4 things;

1) bad pump

2) split in airline below water level, or clog

3) the intake nipple at the volute is clogged with carbonates/salts

4) the silencer has some blockage

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for giggles, pull the air hose off the nipple where it connects to the air intake on the pump. Then find a drill bit that fits inside the intake nipple and use the BLUNT END, NOT THE CUTTING END, then push it through the nipple to see if it binds against any build up.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do the tunze 9012 DC skimmers perform? I am possibly picking up an Innovative marine SR-80 in the near future, and want to run the largest skimmer that will fit (seems to be the above tunze) Will it perform up to par on an ~80 gallon tank?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Comline® DOC Skimmer 9012 is designed to be compact enough to take up only a tiny amount of space in the display.

Maybe consider a regular tank so you don't have to lose the whole back area like with the SR-80?

Tunze makes the Reefpack 500 for just such a purpose. Skimmer, filter and ATO all in two small chambers.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(No need for the DC model on that small a tank, BTW....but if you just want it, then you would just order the 3168 filter and 3155 Osmolator along with the DC skimmer.....voila: Reefpack 500DC. :))

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Comline® DOC Skimmer 9012 is designed to be compact enough to take up only a tiny amount of space in the display.

Maybe consider a regular tank so you don't have to lose the whole back area like with the SR-80?

Tunze makes the Reefpack 500 for just such a purpose. Skimmer, filter and ATO all in two small chambers.

Trust me, I would love a regular tank so I can use my sump and everything. But, the one i ordered from SCA came broken, twice. So now im just buying something locally. Plus the deal is so dang good on this tank, stand and all the equipment its hard to pass up.

From there, This tank will likely be used for 1 year or so and be upgraded to the custom size I really want. That or If i like the dimensions of this one enough (I love how shallow it is for maitenence since im a short person) I can rip out the AIO portion and drill the back for the sump (already asked IM if its drillable and they confirmed it is!)

Not to mention, my RSM c130 i have right now for my tank doesnt have a skimmer at all so i figure anything has gotta work better than nothing.

As for the reef pack, I already have the ATO, and a resevior and the IM sr80 has the media rack in it so really all i would need is the skimmer.

Thanks for the advice!

Joe De Leo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone added mp40’s wave-markers and the performance on the skimmer is pulling out less skimmate. Was getting a cup every few days before I installed the wave markers now I’m getting less then that

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone added mp40’s wave-markers and the performance on the skimmer is pulling out less skimmate. Was getting a cup every few days before I installed the wave markers now I’m getting less then that

it's most likely just the production residues on the new MP's that are causing the skimmer to keep the foam head knocked down a bit. Thats common. It will subside.

Joe De Leo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, from the mp40 it’s pushing more water into the overflow and it’s throwing the skimmer off, but the water level in my sump it’s still the level , the level is not going up and down it’s set on 9 inches

CurtnStac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a skimmer question....
I run chaeto and a tunze skimmer on my 80g. The skimmer takes 3 days to fill the cup, and it's running wet, and my chaeto is not growing at all. Would it be ok to run the skimmer without the cup for awhile?
I only have lps and softies and zero algae.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run chaeto and a tunze skimmer on my 80g. The skimmer takes 3 days to fill the cup, and it's running wet, and my chaeto is not growing at all. Would it be ok to run the skimmer without the cup for awhile?

Your tank is nutrient limited more than likely. Removing the chaeto or dosing nutrient fertilizers are the quick answers.

How old is this tank? Do you have a tank thread where we can talk? PM me or post it here. :)

Joe De Leo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back