Skimmer Q&A Thread

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you pulled the impeller and checked the magnet and needlewheel?

how old is the skimmer? magnet may have swelled or the internal magnet housing itself may have been scarred. That happened to me with a resun pump and it got really loud.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have and it looks new like it should because it’s a new skimmer
was it always loud from day one?

you may want to try a silicone trivet mat under the skimmer to absorb some of the resonant vibration. They help a lot.

amazon sells them for like 7 bucks and you can just cut them to dimension.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a new tank, been running about 5 weeks. Everything has gone swimmingly until today. My skimmer is aerating the sump which is filling my display tank with micro bubbles. Also, it’s not foaming up to the top any more rendering it ineffective. Found a couple threads where this question was asked, but no clear answer. Posting a couple pics so you can see exactly what I’m dealing with. Any ideas?

Keep in mind, I don’t know what I’m doing...

9DEB7831-893D-43F8-B274-B30C477B467B.jpeg
88897575-7E1D-4275-9950-FE45388E2C34.jpeg
AF618E8C-4558-4A4A-9E6B-257232DE4337.jpeg

Last edited:

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has the skimmer been running 5 weeks?

i would suggest using a pipette and pulling a little of the skimmate that's in the cup right now, then squirt a little down the neck of the skimmer and see what it does.

looks like it just needs to develop a slime coat. let us know what happens when you put a little skimmate down the neck. what should happen is the skimmer will quickly stabilize and the bubbles will push upward more uniformly as if the skimmer is broken in. this wont last for long but it will indicate that the skimmer is working properly and just needs to settle in.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has the skimmer been running 5 weeks?

i would suggest using a pipette and pulling a little of the skimmate that's in the cup right now, then squirt a little down the neck of the skimmer and see what it does.

looks like it just needs to develop a slime coat. let us know what happens when you put a little skimmate down the neck. what should happen is the skimmer will quickly stabilize and the bubbles will push upward more uniformly as if the skimmer is broken in. this wont last for long but it will indicate that the skimmer is working properly and just needs to settle in.
It hasn’t been running for 5 weeks. I introduced some inverts to the tank after a couple of weeks and started running it periodically at that point. Then I added some fish about a week ago and started running it full time. It worked perfectly from then until today when it suddenly stopped skimming and started aerating. Today my ammonia level started to creep up for the first time so I’m trying to get it back up and running ASAP.

As for your suggestion, I can’t. When I noticed it wasn’t working I pulled it out to check it over and make sure everything was tight. I dumped it out before doing that.

Last edited:

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer will have little to no effect on ammonia. So if it's rising your system is still cycling. If you put live rock in your new system, a new skimmer will skim the die off from from the live rock, then settle back down until it breaks in. How much live rock do you have in the system? You could do a couple 10% water changes and add some microbacter to try and jump start the nitrogen cycle, or add some amquel to neutralize any toxic ammonia if the fish start acting poorly. As far as the skimmer, I'd just leave it alone and run it 24/7 until it gets coated which can take anywhere from days to weeks depending on bioload

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer will have little to no effect on ammonia. So if it's rising your system is still cycling. If you put live rock in your new system, a new skimmer will skim the die off from from the live rock, then settle back down until it breaks in. How much live rock do you have in the system? You could do a couple 10% water changes and add some microbacter to try and jump start the nitrogen cycle, or add some amquel to neutralize any toxic ammonia if the fish start acting poorly. As far as the skimmer, I'd just leave it alone and run it 24/7 until it gets coated which can take anywhere from days to weeks depending on bioload
So it’s normal for the skimmer to aerate the the water like that until it’s broken in? It’s ok to run it like that? I’m a little confused, why hasn’t it done that over the past several weeks if it’s normal?

As far as the ammonia goes, it wasn’t too bad, but I did add some prime, it was all I had on hand. And I added some bacteria.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal for a skimmer to put out copious amounts of micro bubbles while it's breaking in. There's no way that skimmer is broken in yet if it's only been running intermittently the last five weeks. As to it performing well when it's was running earlier, most likely it's because when you add live rock, there is always natural die off on the rock from the transition, or if you put in live sand, same thing. The skimmer most likely was pushing out the die off. Now that the rock and sand die off has started stabilizing, the skimmer is slowing down and idling until it develops a more consistent slime coat while it breaks in.
Hands in tank, frag glue, new equipment, filter socks, certain foods, etc.., etc.. can all contribute to knocking down foam heads on skimmers and generate micros.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal for a skimmer to put out copious amounts of micro bubbles while it's breaking in. There's no way that skimmer is broken in yet if it's only been running intermittently the last five weeks. As to it performing well when it's was running earlier, most likely it's because when you add live rock, there is always natural die off on the rock from the transition, or if you put in live sand, same thing. The skimmer most likely was pushing out the die off. Now that the rock and sand die off has started stabilizing, the skimmer is slowing down and idling until it develops a more consistent slime coat while it breaks in.
Hands in tank, frag glue, new equipment, filter socks, certain foods, etc.., etc.. can all contribute to knocking down foam heads on skimmers and generate micros.
Good info. Thank you. I started the tank with about 130lbs dry rock and 100lbs Fiji pink sand. Then started wishing I had used live rock and added in about 10lbs, so what you’re saying makes sense. I did start learning how to adjust the skimmer, which I haven’t had to do thus far and it helped some. I’ll just let it run and see what happens.

sprakinhyt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I have a bubble magus c3.5 skimmer. It has a sp1000 pump which has died today. They only have the sp2000 pump locally, will this pump work on the c3.5? I have searched and can't find answers.

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Skimmer qa
My lfs sold me a octo classic 1k for my 37 gallon. I’m wondering if this is to much for my size tank? I’m also having trouble figuring out a sweet spot for the skimmate cup. Place it too high the bio-load stays in the neck, lower it slightly it fills up within a couple days.
How can I fine tune this to start working correctly? The instructions that come with this skimmer are some of the worst instructions I ever read.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the HOB right?

how long has it been running?

if it has only been a few days, i would leave the cup high and dont worry about the neck getting gunked up. just keep cleaning it periodically until the skimmer breaks in. once it's fully broken in it should produce more and solids wont collect in the neck as much. HOBs are more finicky than in sumps or externals because they have to pull water.

ChadmRoman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the HOB right?

how long has it been running?

if it has only been a few days, i would leave the cup high and dont worry about the neck getting gunked up. just keep cleaning it periodically until the skimmer breaks in. once it's fully broken in it should produce more and solids wont collect in the neck as much. HOBs are more finicky than in sumps or externals because they have to pull water.
It’s four weeks old and yes job. I tried this leaving it high. Now I’m thinking it’s broken in bc I’m getting very little micro bubbles in the return. Im now starting low and raising as I see water entering the skimmate. Hopefully this works.

Sean Rostrup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a problem where the skimate bubbles are not breaking in the colection cup. Insted they are staying intact and coming out of the air holes in the top. I have to clean it every 24 hrs. What could be causing this because the daily maintence is getting out of hand.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back