Skimmer Q&A Thread

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on the bubble magus nac 9 skimmer? I have Plans to run it on my 120 gallon disp with eshopps 200 sump.
BM skimmer is fine. they perform well but excel in deeper water. only issue may be the longevity of the Rock pump. DSP4000 and SP4000. I've run an NAC6 and the rock pump lasted 8 months. it performed well though and many have had much better luck than i did with the pumps.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here goes...

I have the bubble magus curve 5 and it ran like a champ on my 55g. It was set at 9” of water level and Had the dial set on “max” or number 3 I believe... was foaming nice and pulled some nasty gunk. Fast forward after months of use... I have a new tank about 3 weeks old with fish already. Tank is fully cycled with only two small fish.

My issue I’m having is the foam... I have the water level set to exactly 9” like my last tank, but the foam is overflowing the skimmer cup on the same setting.

Does it matter that it’s a new tank? Water quality effect the skimmer to foam more or less? Does it need to break in again?? I am using the same exact water height and level as I did on my 55 but it won’t stop overflowing. It’s been about 15 hours no change

Thanks
did you deep clean the skimmer body, intake venturi and pump before the swap?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon reef tank. Building a 29 gal sump. Looking at skimmers for around $200. Reef octopus? Bubble magus? Something else? Assume they all have pros and cons. Quiet will be a big factor. What do y’all say?
check out the ice cap K1- 130. pump has a 2 year warranty. the RO classic 110 is a proven performer. Also, the bubble magus all skim well.
I just dont trust the RO aquatrance pumps and the BM rock pumps. Other may chime in. I would recommend the reef dynamics INS80S overstock at aquarium source, but they are not the most silent. GREAT performer though

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90g tank And I’ll be using an external filter probably a 600 and link it with a UV
sorry for the late reply. does your new tank have an overflow? i assume it doesn't since you're asking about whether a sump is needed. i would suggest either going with a ready to hang CPR CS100 or 102 overflow, or drill the tank for a ghost overflow. A sump is SOOOO much easier

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I didn’t clean anything really. Just unplugged it, took it out of my 55g and put it right in my 42g
check the intake venturi then. if it wasn't cleaned then some carbonate/salt build up may be happening in the volutes intake venturi where the air line attaches. that can create a higher internal water level since the skimmer will pull more water because the air is being choked. If you dont want to take the skimmer out, you can use the blunt end of a drill bit and gently ream out any solids build up. that works for me when mine acts up.

when i write ream out, i mean to use the bit inside the small nipple that the air line attaches to. it should slide into the nipple fairly easy if theres not a lot of build up but if there is, you'll feel it. make sure NOT to use the cutting end of a bit becasue you dont want to scar the inside of that nipple. if it's scarred then build up will happen faster.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check the intake venturi then. if it wasn't cleaned then some carbonate/salt build up may be happening in the volutes intake venturi where the air line attaches. that can create a higher internal water level since the skimmer will pull more water because the air is being choked. If you dont want to take the skimmer out, you can use the blunt end of a drill bit and gently ream out any solids build up. that works for me when mine acts up.

when i write ream out, i mean to use the bit inside the small nipple that the air line attaches to. it should slide into the nipple fairly easy if theres not a lot of build up but if there is, you'll feel it. make sure NOT to use the cutting end of a bit becasue you dont want to scar the inside of that nipple. if it's scarred then build up will happen faster.

I appreciate your help man. It looked like it was getting used to the water.... it's skimming perfectly now. I am convinced that the water has a lot to do with it "breaking in". If it's new water, it'll have another break in period. I thought this only applied to a skimmer being new fresh out the box

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your help man. It looked like it was getting used to the water.... it's skimming perfectly now. I am convinced that the water has a lot to do with it "breaking in". If it's new water, it'll have another break in period. I thought this only applied to a skimmer being new fresh out the box
glad it has stabilized now. What salt mix do you use? maybe the salt has some extra conditioners or probiotics. those can make skimmer go nuts for a while ;-)

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to interrupt you guys but I figured I would ask my question about my skimmer situation. I just picked up a simplicity 320dc and ran it for a while in a vinegar solution and then rinsed it. The dropped it in my sump to start breaking it in. I already have a reef octopus 150sss in there but am curious to see how it stands up to the simplicity. I am pretty happy with the 150sss but feel like I could do better. It seems to be slow for a day or two then pulls skimmate like crazy for a day or two and then on day 4 or 5 gunk's up real bad with nasty thick skimmate. I would like to see a little more consistency. So, back to the simplicity, is it normal for the skimmer to go through what to me seems like a pulse sequence every so often? After about an hour if it running, it stops the motor, and all foam drops, then it sounds like it trys to restart a couple times, sounds like a pulsing squealing sound, then eventually gets going again. Is this normal? I pulled it back apart to make sure the impeller wasnt damaged, blocked, or sticky, all checked out. And also, no matter how I adjust it, I can't get it to overflow, which seems odd to me. I'd be surprised if this is due to not being broke in, but maybe it is? Any info would be appreciated. :) Thanks guys and gals

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's normal for a skimmer's performance to follow the trends of your tank....it's not normal to have 100% skimming 24/7/365.

Your new skimmer sounds broken to me.

Cjud7982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response, and input on the skimming trends. I thought it would be more consistent.
However I was just playing with the simplicity skimmer again and got her overflowing, I had the air adjustment wide open and was prevent a good head of foam. Well Well see if it decides to do any pulsing now. Thanks again :D

Yumarattler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone. I am starting a 120 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump. Can you guys recommend me a skimmer? I like most are trying to keep it as inexpensive as possible but I also don’t want something I am going to want to change later. Aside from a setup I bought las week I have no experience with skimmers. The one in that setup is a bubble Magnus 3.5. Thanks for any information you can provide.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone. I am starting a 120 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump. Can you guys recommend me a skimmer? I like most are trying to keep it as inexpensive as possible but I also don’t want something I am going to want to change later. Aside from a setup I bought las week I have no experience with skimmers. The one in that setup is a bubble Magnus 3.5. Thanks for any information you can provide.
what's your budget?

if you can go over 3 bills i would go for the aquamaxx coneS Q-2 or the RO elite Curve 7. Both have sicce pumps

Yumarattler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not that a necessarily have a budget limit but the more it is the longer it will take to get setup. I will look at those you recommended.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not that a necessarily have a budget limit but the more it is the longer it will take to get setup. I will look at those you recommended.
there are cheaper but these have a solid design, good reviews
what's your budget?

if you can go over 3 bills i would go for the aquamaxx coneS Q-2 or the RO elite Curve 7. Both have sicce pumps

edit. sorry i meant the bubble magus elite curve 7. had reef octopus on the brain

MiZuboov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hallo!
What should be the depth of immersion of the skimmer in the SAMP? What should be the water level in the skimmer before it is turned on?
My skimmer is a Elos, but I'd like to know it about most popular models. I would like to know in principle, not in particular

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hallo!
What should be the depth of immersion of the skimmer in the SAMP? What should be the water level in the skimmer before it is turned on?
My skimmer is a Elos, but I'd like to know it about most popular models. I would like to know in principle, not in particular
sump and skimmer internal water level are the same if the skimmer isn't turned on. Can't tell you much on the Elos skimmers since I've never run one.
popular skimmers are all over the place with running depth. they can range from 6 inch sump water level to 10 or even 11 inch water depth. When an in-sump skimmer is turned on, the internal skimmer water level will be higher than the sump water level.

hope that helps

MiZuboov

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sump and skimmer internal water level are the same if the skimmer isn't turned on.
Yes, of course.
But I can do any water level in the sump (of course higher return pump + ~3 inch for normal working pump). Chamber of skimmer (body of skimmer. Here i mean part of skimmer below cup) can be filled by 50% - 100%. My sump lets me do that. I'm trying to understand what water level for skimmer is the best)) 1cm, 2cm etc below the cup...I know there are many different models of skimmers, but I'm sure there is a certain rule of right water level in the skimmer's chamber. -)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back