Skimmer Q&A Thread

Wolters_88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
airline in body of skimmer may have not have been connected. i had a 9001 that came shipped that way.

i'd contact Roger (rvitko) on the Tunze forum first before you try taking the skimmer apart. Good luck and sorry for the PIA. I know how you feel
I went ahead and took it apart and guess what... not connected. Thank for the help.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great news!

start off with the bubbles popping about a 1/4 up the neck and just leave it alone for a couple days. those are good little skimmers but very finicky to any adjustments. so try and resist the urge to keep adjusting if you don't see what you want.

tankzombi3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an reef octopus regal 200ext skimmer. Does it matter where it sits outside the sump as far as height above/below water level?

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have an Aqua C EV240 on a 150 gal and loved it. Is the company out of business?

I’m looking for an in-sump recirculating skimmer for a 280 gal. Anybody have one to recommend? Wondering about the Reef Octopus 250?

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this much bubble leakage normal for a brand new tank and slimmer? It’s a nyos 160 on a brand new 170 total volume tank had water in it one week my issue is the baffle has water level at10” but the bubbles clog the foam that catches excess bubbles which then raises the water 1-2” then it spits out more bubbles cuz the water height lol will this resolve as it breaks in?

Attachments

• 59924225401__E35C0D75-CDA7-4EEF-AEC3-38586E9BB424.MOV
    753 KB

Artimusclyde1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this much bubble leakage normal for a brand new tank and slimmer? It’s a nyos 160 on a brand new 170 total volume tank had water in it one week my issue is the baffle has water level at10” but the bubbles clog the foam that catches excess bubbles which then raises the water 1-2” then it spits out more bubbles cuz the water height lol will this resolve as it breaks in?

image.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post this here and see if i get any responce. If not I will post it in the general equipment thread.
Now posted in equipment thread also
My Bubble Blaster 10000 Pump for my skimmer froze up yesterday. I took the impeller out and cleaned it. After placing it back in, it spun like normal without water. Add water and it freezes up again. It trys to spin but gets jittery then stops. The motor just hums loudly.
The magnet on the impeller does not look distorted.
While holding the magnet part of the impeller you can turn the bubble making part using some force.

Any clues on how I can make this work or what im looking for?

Last edited:

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just setup my new Reef Octo Regal 150sss. It didn’t really come with good instructions. I watched an old video that said leave it “open” for 2-3 weeks, at it’s at the lowest water level, to break it in. Does anyone have experience with this skimmer? How long did you leave it open? It looks like it’s already foaming, just very low. I have it in a RSR 425xl, 7 inches of water (on a stand). Thanks!
1837F581-03E4-4CB0-90B2-ED0B7F3C4372.jpeg

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just setup my new Reef Octo Regal 150sss. It didn’t really come with good instructions. I watched an old video that said leave it “open” for 2-3 weeks, at it’s at the lowest water level, to break it in. Does anyone have experience with this skimmer? How long did you leave it open? It looks like it’s already foaming, just very low. I have it in a RSR 425xl, 7 inches of water (on a stand). Thanks!
1837F581-03E4-4CB0-90B2-ED0B7F3C4372.jpeg
i would raise it a couple inches so that line where the smaller/turbulent bubbles transition to larger bubbles.

that looks pretty clean to be running 2-3 weeks. When was that pic taken? if recent, you should have some solids on the neck transition.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry. actually read you post now (duh!) it's new and you read the recommended info. Raise the internal water line a couple inches and leave it alone for a couple days. then report back. Good skimmer so you'll be fine. Just let it settle in and resist fiddling.

bdeppen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using an old RO skimmer that is way over sized for my little 30gallon softie tank. It seems to be working as I’m getting a good dark skim, however the thing sounds like a truck vs everything else in the system is dead quiet. I’m considering removing it and using something like the new AI fuge light with chaeto for nutrient export. Looking for pros and cons to replacing the skimmer with a well let fuge. ** The sump is a 20 long and only has a small bubble trap, filter sock, skimmer and return pump so I tons of room for the best solution. Ultimately I’m looking for easy low maintenance with as little equipment as possible.
AAD9AB18-0726-4F5D-B46D-22504D325D2C.jpeg

markysgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a really dumb question, but here goes.
I have a Vertex Omega 130 skimmer in my sump.
It's been sitting in there since I filled the tank and sump with water mid January.
When I plug the skimmer in and turn it on, nothing happens.
I've scoured You Tube, the internet, and this site for detailed instructions on operating the skimmer but I feel like there is some secret skimmer club I haven't been invited to.
My next idea is to remove it completely from the sump and see if the pump is even working, then put it back in to see if maybe it has too much water in it?
The water level in my sump is fixed at 9 inches.
Any help you can give regarding this mystery would be much appreciated.

bdeppen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a really dumb question, but here goes.
I have a Vertex Omega 130 skimmer in my sump.
It's been sitting in there since I filled the tank and sump with water mid January.
When I plug the skimmer in and turn it on, nothing happens.
I've scoured You Tube, the internet, and this site for detailed instructions on operating the skimmer but I feel like there is some secret skimmer club I haven't been invited to.
My next idea is to remove it completely from the sump and see if the pump is even working, then put it back in to see if maybe it has too much water in it?
The water level in my sump is fixed at 9 inches.
Any help you can give regarding this mystery would be much appreciated.
When you say nothing happens, do you mean like the pump doesn’t even turn on, or it doesn’t bubble? If literally nothing happens I would assume the pump isn’t getting power. If the pump is on, then it might be something like adjusting the standpipe.
A few more details and possibly a video or pics of it running(if it turns on) to get a better idea of what is going on.

msduarte99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a (not much) small skimmer.

My total system is 36g (tank 28 + sump 8).

The first chamber of my (underneath and small) sump is 16x14cm (-6x5”).

After some research I finally came up to 2 models:

- Coralife Super 65
- Sera Marin PS-200

Does anyone here have one of these models or other one else with the same characteristics?

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

markysgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say nothing happens, do you mean like the pump doesn’t even turn on, or it doesn’t bubble? If literally nothing happens I would assume the pump isn’t getting power. If the pump is on, then it might be something like adjusting the standpipe.
A few more details and possibly a video or pics of it running(if it turns on) to get a better idea of what is going on.
I think I have it figured out. I just messed with stuff until it started going.
The instructions that are available for skimmers is abysmal.

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General question - what is the “new hotness” in skimmers? I haven’t looked at skimmers seriously in the last few years and feel out of the loop.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back