Skimmer Q&A Thread

ebeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question. I sold my RSK600 to a gentleman and he is not happy with the noise level of the skimmer. He measured the noise with his phone and shows a 52.7 DB level with the sump door open and a foot or two away from the unit. Cabinet doors closed it measures around 42 DB. Now this is not taking into account any other noise in the room or from the other equipment in the tank. I have now have a Nyos 220 and the noise levels are almost identical. I have told him to return the skimmer to me as I am confident on what I sold him. My question is do these noise levels seem high to anyone? Or are his expectations too high?

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a week Coralbox D500+ create a strong rattling sound at max speed. Waterline is 8 inches.

It's normal? Any suggestions? Do I need to run it at maximum speed?

Thanks

ebeez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a week Coralbox D500+ create a strong rattling sound at max speed. Waterline is 8 inches.

It's normal? Any suggestions? Do I need to run it at maximum speed?

Thanks
Rattling sound is usually the impeller.. and should not be rattling this early in use. Is it only making the sound on max speed?

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 90g salt tank, stand, Current Loop 48" led light, sump, return pump, and skimmer fell into my lap, and I collected it tonight. As I go through things and formulate a cleanup plan, I cannot find any branding on the protein skimmer. It's large at 24" high and 9" wide base.
Could someone ID this thing so I have some starting point for what Im dealing with?

20200210_211122.jpg

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today impeller was blocked by... Cerith snail.
Somebody use a sponde for the water intanke as prefilter to keep algues and snails aways from the impeller?

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following up on own thread...
Looks like it may be a Coralife Cone 300g ? as seen here from Amazon compared to a photo of mine with a few more pieces attached now that i'm sorting them out. Seems like a 300 gallon skimmer would be potential overkill for a 90g mixed reef wouldn't it?
71q62YGpF8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
20200210_223334.jpg

Mike T IL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you clean a lid that has a float switch attached without having to disconnect the switch from the controller? I currently have to wipe if clean while it is in the sump area but would like to be able to take it to my sink to clean.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question here... I'm going to be making 800 gallons worth of display. My sump and fuge is going to be absolutely huge, at least matching the display volume. I plan to have a huge diy gha reactor, a chamber for detritus to settle, and a ton of live rock. Additionally I'll be doing small automated water changes almost every day (mainly for micro nutrients).

With that said, should I not even worry about getting a skimmer? Or maybe a smaller one rated for 200-300 gallons just to assist? Or should i get a huge skimmer to take care of the bio load

Sirspeedy77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m running an octo 110 INT - the manual was garbage, assembly instructions non existent and I’m not sure how to even break this thing in or confident I’ve even got it set up right. Currently skimmer cup drain is plugged, valve wide open, cup is filling full of water and overflowing. Very minor amount of bubbles coming out of lid vents. I’m getting really frustrated. For 200+$ it should put be this hard to figure out. Anyone running same? Tips?

image.jpg

BurgerFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea of how to dial skimmer (Coralbox D500+) to produce dark skimmate?

Now I run the pump at 100% and water gate open at 2/3.

Also, how to you keep smails and algues away from impeller?

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m running an octo 110 INT - the manual was garbage, assembly instructions non existent and I’m not sure how to even break this thing in or confident I’ve even got it set up right. Currently skimmer cup drain is plugged, valve wide open, cup is filling full of water and overflowing. Very minor amount of bubbles coming out of lid vents. I’m getting really frustrated. For 200+$ it should put be this hard to figure out. Anyone running same? Tips?

image.jpg
How long has the skimmer been running? It’s normal for skimmers to go crazy in the beginning. Open the valve up all the way and let the thing run for a bit.
Also, make sure the skimmer is sitting at the correct depth. If it’s too deep you will have overflow issues.

Alternatively, if you have used prime or similar water conditioners it can make skimmers go nuts. Water changes and tons of carbon are what worked for me in the past in this situations.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a octo regal 150 a large enough skimmer for a sca 120 and 40b for a sump, or should I go bigger?
it will work but as the tank matures and your load increases you may want to go bigger down the road.

a good rule of thumb for me is to choose a skimmer that will handle at least double the display volume. a properly sized skimmer will have idle moments and will pull organics as the load fluctuates during the day. If you have an undersized skimmer it may pull organics constantly and while you think it may be working well, it may not be keeping up with what's actually being produced in the system. this is not unusual when a reefer may have had and older skimmer that was working well, but then upgraded to a newer, larger design and they notice a big initial increase in skimmate before the skimmer completely settles in.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the official R2R Skimmer Q&A Thread where the answers to your questions are as concentrated as skimmate!

We will do our best as a community to answer questions you have concerning protein skimmers so ask away!

Thank you!
I have a custom one-off GEO skimmer that I bought used. The original pump was inop. so the seller bought a Sedra KSP 15000 and hooked it up as the old one was, but did not have the Venturi. I know so little, so i am looking for advice as to whether I can get this operational. When I get it the Venturi it will be attached to the vertical below the pump, (intake). Does this look like it is an internal or external skimmer? There is a hose attached to the side of the body that probably fits on the venturi indicating that it is possibly a submerged pump. Would that mean that only one of the uniseals should be attached from the pump to the body? Or, could it be using the other small hose fitting (black plastic, above the level of the pump) for the skimmer inlet? Geosreef said it was an old unit that was not production so no records of instructions or set up. So I come to the mountain seeking wisdom. thanks, David
IMG_1173.jpeg
IMG_1174.jpeg
IMG_1176.jpeg
David
This is the official R2R Skimmer Q&A Thread where the answers to your questions are as concentrated as skimmate!

We will do our best as a community to answer questions you have concerning protein skimmers so ask away!

Thank you!

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a custom one-off GEO skimmer that I bought used. The original pump was inop. so the seller bought a Sedra KSP 15000 and hooked it up as the old one was, but did not have the Venturi. I know so little, so i am looking for advice as to whether I can get this operational. When I get it the Venturi it will be attached to the vertical below the pump, (intake). Does this look like it is an internal or external skimmer? There is a hose attached to the side of the body that probably fits on the venturi indicating that it is possibly a submerged pump. Would that mean that only one of the uniseals should be attached from the pump to the body? Or, could it be using the other small hose fitting (black plastic, above the level of the pump) for the skimmer inlet? Geosreef said it was an old unit that was not production so no records of instructions or set up. So I come to the mountain seeking wisdom. thanks, David
IMG_1173.jpeg
IMG_1174.jpeg
IMG_1176.jpeg
David
so i posted it in a new thread, sorry that i thought it would go here.

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have a HOB skimmer that was working well and producing great skimmate for months but has recently started producing very tiny wet bubbles .

I read it could be due to a build of salt/calcium in side so I took all motor and intakes off and soaked it in vinegar - gave it a decent clean .

However I still am unable to get the big dry bubbles I was previously getting

Any help appreciated

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I have a HOB skimmer that was working well and producing great skimmate for months but has recently started producing very tiny wet bubbles .

I read it could be due to a build of salt/calcium in side so I took all motor and intakes off and soaked it in vinegar - gave it a decent clean .

However I still am unable to get the big dry bubbles I was previously getting

Any help appreciated
what model HOB is it?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back