1631882966866.png

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is correct.
i would forget about using the small dedicated skimmer chamber and put the skimmer in the larger center chamber. that's where you ATO sensor will be right? In the center?

the center will give you more options and if the ato sensor is there, then you will only have small level fluctuations.

check out the comline DC skimmers from Tunze

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question regarding gate valve skimmer mods.
Simple, can you use a ball valve in lieu of a gate valve to achieve the same effect.
I want to mod my skimmer, this is an easy mod and I happen to have a few spare ball valves.
Thanks-
Sure

as long as the pipe i.d. is the same.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the pump removed from an Aquamaxx ws-1 skimmer? Id like to perform periodic maintenance on it but can't seem to see an easy way to remove it from the skimmer.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the pump removed from an Aquamaxx ws-1 skimmer? Id like to perform periodic maintenance on it but can't seem to see an easy way to remove it from the skimmer.
Unless i'm mistaken, you should be able to twist and pull off the white venturi from the volute, then remove the cup and lift the pump up through the body. Also, check to see if that main long baffle (where the water goes under then up and out) can be slid and lifted out. i think it comes out to give you room the clean the entire body.

Last edited:

XNavyDiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless i'm mistaken, you should be able to twist and pull off the white venturi from the volute, then remove the cup and lift the pump up through the body. Also, check to see if that main long baffle (where the water goes under then up and out) can be slid and lifted out. i think it comes out to give you room the clean the entire body.
Nope. The pump is attach to a non removable (at least it seems) acrylic plate that is bonded to the inside housing of the skimmer. I know this seems strange, as from what i can tell, aquamaxx seems to have made this skimmer with a non removable pump. Which I know, sounds crazy. Would they do that?
I kept the owners manual of course, and there is no mention of pump removal for maintenance in it. Which is telling.

XNavyDiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally figured it out. Your hint about the long baffle was correct. It does slide out with the pump attached at the bottom. What was confusing me was that piece of acrylic was VERY hard to get to finally slide out. I had to grab and pull with channel locks. Jeez.

Thanks very much!

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally figured it out. Your hint about the long baffle was correct. It does slide out with the pump attached at the bottom. What was confusing me was that piece of acrylic was VERY hard to get to finally slide out. I had to grab and pull with channel locks. Jeez.

Thanks very much!
awsome

glad you got it all figured out. hopefully after prying that baffle out, it will be easier to remove down the road.

happy reefing

Tivo

xyzner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m torn between the Tunze DOC 9410 with DC pump and the Deltec 600i. System is ~85gallons and will be doing predominately SPS. Chamber in sump is 11.5 x 7.25”.

Any insight?

anthony1017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello hope someone can help me out, I just install a Simplicity 120DC skimmer in my WaterBox 90.3.

it been running for a month now and it’s skimming. But I have micro bubbles in both the sump and main display.

move already raised the skimmer to 7 inch. But still have micro bubbles. Should I raise it to 9 inches? Manual says between 7-9 but not sure if it’s still breaking in

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m torn between the Tunze DOC 9410 with DC pump and the Deltec 600i. System is ~85gallons and will be doing predominately SPS. Chamber in sump is 11.5 x 7.25”.

Any insight?
I've ran the AC version of the 9410 and it skims very well. My issue with it was only the noise. i had too much vibration from the pump. i purchased a second hydrofoamer pump and same issue. it wasn't awful, just too much for where the tank is situated in the living room. the new DC's are reported to be much more quiet and have pretty stellar reviews. I don't have any hands on experience though with the deltec 600i, but that gets some decent reviews too. They both have their own proprietary version of overflow protection which is nice. the Tunze effluent filter sock was nice for me because i was able to run an extra bag of chemipure inside of it which was kind of neat to have that option on a skimmer. Only draw back with that sock is that it's just another thing to clean. you could go with a shorty 100 micron mesh sock on the tunze which will still help with micros and not clog as fast. Hopefully someone else replies on their first hand experience with the 600i to aid in your decision.

good luck and happy reefing

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello hope someone can help me out, I just install a Simplicity 120DC skimmer in my WaterBox 90.3.

it been running for a month now and it’s skimming. But I have micro bubbles in both the sump and main display.

move already raised the skimmer to 7 inch. But still have micro bubbles. Should I raise it to 9 inches? Manual says between 7-9 but not sure if it’s still breaking in
run at 8 inches. what did you have the skimmer set at during break in?

Cassklar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I will be setting up a 300 gallon sps tank in January with a 60 gallon sump so wit rock displacement I’m thinking around 300 total water volume I am looking for a skimmer right it’s between a tune 9430 dc or a reef octopus’s regal 250 int I will have lots of fish and 4 tangs any advice would be appreciated thanks

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
both would work. more positives than negatives for each. The 250's pump would be easier to maintain since it has the threaded collar that can be spun off, as opposed to the tunze where you have to rotate the entire pump to thread it off. The 250 has the float overflow in the cup too which is a nice feature.
The Tunze design just plain skims though and the cup is the easiest in the industry to remove since it just lifts off. Only knocks on the 9430 are that you would have to drill the cup if you want to run an off the shelf skim locker or use their bulky foam extractor set up which is not very practical, but works. Also the tunze effluent sock works great, but you would need to take into account that it's another thing you will have to maintain in an already maintenance heavy hobby. Tunze own proprietary overfoam design does work well . i had their 9410 and it was a great skimmer but was loud mostly from the AC hydrofoamer pump vibrating. their DC's are a big improvement in that there is less vibration and hum.

edit: one more knock on the tunze is the black bubble collar that is pressed inside the body. it is a little bit of a pain to remove the first few times when doing a full cleaning, but gets easier after doing it a few times. Just thought I'd mention that.

you wouldn't be going wrong either way

good luck!

Last edited:

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, I am using a Fluval PS1 skimmer on my Fluval Sea Flex 32.5G AIO. I've never had this type of skimmer before where there is a rubber band (O-Ring) that you adjust as well as an air valve (Air valve is normal, O-Ring thing is not). But I have 2 questions for anyone who knows.

1) Am I supposed to be cleaning the funnel trap on the bottom of the cup? (It seems like when I do clean that it takes days to start working again, not sure if this is normal)

2) No matter what I do for adjustments when it's working, I either get no skimmate, or very wet skimmate (that is light tan in color, not dark) which causes me to have to empty the cup constantly (sometimes two to three times a day, but more often than not at least daily).

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someone has a suggestion. I have a RO INT skimmer. It looks like the current Elite model.

I've had this skimmer for about 3 years and has operated great. About 3 months ago I had to treat for a bacteria infection using Erythromycin. During course of treatment I needed to turn the skimmer off. After treatment was complete the skimmer goes crazy. Fills the cup up in seconds. I've tried water changes, I've tried letting the skimmer run for a couple weeks, I've tried pulling the skimmer, completely disassembling the skimmer and cleaning skimmer and pump. No luck. It is still absolutely foaming like crazy.

Any thoughts about how to get it back under control?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back