Skimmer Q&A Thread

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope!

i leave it wide open. the pump is matched perfectly.
yea its doing well after 16 or so hours, in a temporary sump rn, had to modify my diy sump. as you can see its huge

Attachments

• 20211206_200944.jpg
    20211206_200944.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 91

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reeftivo- it’s good to hear that ATB Nano skimmer pump is still plugging away.
Hola friend. Been a while since we chatted!!! you've been busy and are rocking the new build i see. awsome!!

Yep, Nano One still plugging away. most silent skimmer i've ever owned and still skims great. I guess mine is a testament to the concerns about the Jaebo pumps longevity when these first came out. no regrets with purchase.

have a great Holiday season, merry Christmas and happy reefing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tivo

TastyScrants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I reduce the efficiency of my skimmer by restricting air intake?

I have a 170L tank with 9 small fish, i feed 3x frozen mysis and pellets each day. I feed my corals reef energy AB+.

I currently have the RedSea RSK300 which is rated for mixed reefs up to 600L with air intake of 500L/h

I’ve had to turn it off because my nitrate and phosphate have been at 0ppm for weeks. I think it’s due to the skimmer pulling all the waste from the water column before it can break down into nutrients.

I like the idea of using a skimmer, but this is doing more harm than good. If I can restrict the air flow to say 250L/h would the skimmer still work? I would have though air intake is calculated to its dimensions as the skimmer comes with no option to control air intake.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I reduce the efficiency of my skimmer by restricting air intake?

I have a 170L tank with 9 small fish, i feed 3x frozen mysis and pellets each day. I feed my corals reef energy AB+.

I currently have the RedSea RSK300 which is rated for mixed reefs up to 600L with air intake of 500L/h

I’ve had to turn it off because my nitrate and phosphate have been at 0ppm for weeks. I think it’s due to the skimmer pulling all the waste from the water column before it can break down into nutrients.

I like the idea of using a skimmer, but this is doing more harm than good. If I can restrict the air flow to say 250L/h would the skimmer still work? I would have though air intake is calculated to its dimensions as the skimmer comes with no option to control air intake.
if you have an apex set it to run after lights out and off an hour or so after light on.

if no controller then just get an egg timer or smart plug. smart plug is the best option IMO if no controller

run at night so you increase O2 and help with diurnal pH drop

TastyScrants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have an apex set it to run after lights out and off an hour or so after light on.

if no controller then just get an egg timer or smart plug. smart plug is the best option IMO if no controller

run at night so you increase O2 and help with diurnal pH drop
I tried running it on and off for a period each day via a timer. It was causing salinity swings due to water level fluctuations from the water volume in the skimmer body making my ATO dump RO into the tank.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya, i guess it may be slightly significant given the size of the tank. what kind of swing were you getting?

that skimmer doesn't have an air adjustment off the silencer, does it?

if the timer off the skimmer concerns you given the pH swings, then you have two options that i can think of off the bat.

1 is to skim super dry and 2 would be choking the air with a pinch valve. if you skim dry you will leave more in the tank, but get a concentrated skim that will gunk up the neck heavier. it works though.

the pinch valve will choke the air but raise the level in the body of the skimmer and push more water through the skimmer. if you tune the air down do it slowly and give the skimmer plenty of time to adjust.
1639500154859.png

TastyScrants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ya, i guess it may be slightly significant given the size of the tank. what kind of swing were you getting?

that skimmer doesn't have an air adjustment off the silencer, does it?

if the timer off the skimmer concerns you given the pH swings, then you have two options that i can think of off the bat.

1 is to skim super dry and 2 would be choking the air with a pinch valve. if you skim dry you will leave more in the tank, but get a concentrated skim that will gunk up the neck heavier. it works though.

the pinch valve will choke the air but raise the level in the body of the skimmer and push more water through the skimmer. if you tune the air down do it slowly and give the skimmer plenty of time to adjust.
1639500154859.png
0.4ppt which I feel is significant enough. The drop is rapid due to water level correction but then gradual resolution as water evaporates. Maybe the swing would have got better over several days as evaporation rates change with climate.

I’ll add some tubes to the air intakes and get some valves. Right now I’m running with it off until I get closer to my desired nutrient levels then I’ll try experimenting.

I had a great deal on the RSK300 second hand so rushed into it I think. Perhaps a refugium may be better for this size tank and my heavy bioload until I get to adding more SPS in the future.

Thanks for the advice!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting i havent seen that pinch valve before, i was thinking of adding a standard ball valve to my akula if this started happening. Right now i started lowering the water level slowly every day and right now im getting this (pictured below) lol. Monitoring levels to see what type of skim is the best for me, kind of similar to your rsk 300 so you may be able to do this as well before the air valves can get in (covid + winter holiday shipping sucks)
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/micro-airline-control-ball-valves-6-two-little-fishies.html

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is on a lower water height than before as well, idk think imma keep going lower

Attachments

• 20211216_193200.jpg
    20211216_193200.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 72

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any lower and you'll get powdered skimmate LOLOL. With it set that dry, you'll eventually start to push skimmate froth out of the lid vent holes.

Depends on what you want to accomplish. drier skim removes more concentrated DOCs and leaves more beneficial elements in the water than wet skimming. Wet skimming pulls more elements in addition to less concentrated DOCs from the column, so a happy median is usually preferred. i feel wet for heavy fish load, medium for mixed reef and dry for SPS dominant and few fish.
You can knock that foam down before it starts pushing out the vents by putting a little silicone grease on a finger tip and running it around the outer edge of the molded foam deflector in the lid. you'll still have concentrated skim, but the grease will prematurely pop the bubbles as they go downward into the cup and the concentrated liquid will collect.

Last edited:

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is on a lower water height than before as well, idk think imma keep going lower

this is about as dry as i have set mine. you can see that i had a burst of froth up and out the lid vents. Stunk up my Living room pretty good. Wife was not pleased when we got home from work LOL, (pic in old homemade sump)
1639753305159.jpeg

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hola friend. Been a while since we chatted!!! you've been busy and are rocking the new build i see. awsome!!

Yep, Nano One still plugging away. most silent skimmer i've ever owned and still skims great. I guess mine is a testament to the concerns about the Jaebo pumps longevity when these first came out. no regrets with purchase.

have a great Holiday season, merry Christmas and happy reefing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tivo
That’s great to hear - I’m still using the ATB v2 with the original pump. I’ve been kicking around the idea of a backup pump for a few weeks though, just in case.

I also setup a Solana, believe it or not. And added an Aquamaxx HOB skimmer. It’s working great. Will recommend it to anyone with a 30 gallon or smaller tank. It’s better than the Tunze 9001 and 9004, and performs better than the in-tank version of the Aquamaxx skimmer.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great to hear - I’m still using the ATB v2 with the original pump. I’ve been kicking around the idea of a backup pump for a few weeks though, just in case.

I also setup a Solana, believe it or not. And added an Aquamaxx HOB skimmer. It’s working great. Will recommend it to anyone with a 30 gallon or smaller tank. It’s better than the Tunze 9001 and 9004, and performs better than the in-tank version of the Aquamaxx skimmer.
Awesome i loved the look of that tank, hope you are running the MH as well. Add in a reefbrite or other led strip and that would be the #1 best lighting I would ever recommend. MH are beasts, we need more manufactures working on COB or dense matrix's like kessil but with added true uv leds if we ever hope to replicate what MH did for the hobby

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can take a look at what I have on hand tonight. I know I have pill bottles and floss. Just need some tubing.

Yasmar01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think a Akula 160 would be appropriate for a heavily stocked Red Sea 350? Or would I need to step it up to a 180 or 200?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back