Skimmer Q&A Thread

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have the room I would go for the akula 180, it is right at that minimum so it should be perfect. 160 would still function perfectly though, but the 180 would give it a larger reaction chamber and slightly more air/water going through

craiginphoenix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tunze 9004 AC that I bought as "Like New" from Amazon and first let me say, it was definitely not "like new" and was used in the past. Which I don't really mind that much. It has the newer air silencer so it can't be that old.

However, I don't see anything going into the cup....ever. Been running for 2 days now. I have the air silencer setting to wide open. I was sort of expecting when I turn it on (with the air completely open) to at least see it overflow like everybody reports but that never happens. I have the water line set to the lower half of the skimmer inflow area as I have seen people recommend.

Is this normal? Should I return it within the return window and get a new one?

I have only had my tank for a month so it is relatively new. Bought water from LFS who said I could use their Pacific ocean water to avoid having to wait for the cycle so there are 2 clowns and 2 hermits that have been in there for the whole time that are doing well.

Just added the skimmer on Thursday.

This is as far up as I can get the bubbles to go. Is this normal?

IMG_1250.jpg

Last edited:

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tunze 9004 AC that I bought as "Like New" from Amazon and first let me say, it was definitely not "like new" and was used in the past. Which I don't really mind that much. It has the newer air silencer so it can't be that old.

However, I don't see anything going into the cup....ever. Been running for 2 days now. I have the air silencer setting to wide open. I was sort of expecting when I turn it on (with the air completely open) to at least see it overflow like everybody reports but that never happens. I have the water line set to the lower half of the skimmer inflow area as I have seen people recommend.

Is this normal? Should I return it within the return window and get a new one?

I have only had my tank for a month so it is relatively new. Bought water from LFS who said I could use their Pacific ocean water to avoid having to wait for the cycle so there are 2 clowns and 2 hermits that have been in there for the whole time that are doing well.

Just added the skimmer on Thursday.

This is as far up as I can get the bubbles to go. Is this normal?

IMG_1250.jpg
just let it run. tank is still new and needs to fully cycle & build a bio load. do you have a clean up crew and a cycling fish or two?

hzy422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI all - would anyone happen to have any suggestions for an upgraded skimmer for a RSM C-250 AIO?

Thanks!

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else run their skimmate back into their sump? Been having a heck of a time trying to keep nitrates off zero, and thought it might be good to feed this stuff back into the system.

Running a filter-less (triton mode) system and a Reef Octopus 152-S in a 90 gallon (I realize it's pretty dang big for that volume...)

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else run their skimmate back into their sump? Been having a heck of a time trying to keep nitrates off zero, and thought it might be good to feed this stuff back into the system.

Running a filter-less (triton mode) system and a Reef Octopus 152-S in a 90 gallon (I realize it's pretty dang big for that volume...)
i would consider running the skimmer on a timer at night and not putting skimmate back into the system. If you just add a syringe of skimmate in the chamber of a broken in /seasoned skimmer, most skimmers will go bonkers. a good skimmer will pull a considerable amount of TOCs. Carbohydrates and biomass along with somef beneficial elements. so reintroducing them back into the system may cause some unwanted spikes.

here's a write up that may be interesting https://reefs.com/magazine/elementa...-skimmer-actually-remove-from-aquarium-water/

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would consider running the skimmer on a timer at night and not putting skimmate back into the system. If you just add a syringe of skimmate in the chamber of a broken in /seasoned skimmer, most skimmers will go bonkers. a good skimmer will pull a considerable amount of TOCs. Carbohydrates and biomass along with somef beneficial elements. so reintroducing them back into the system may cause some unwanted spikes.

here's a write up that may be interesting https://reefs.com/magazine/elementa...-skimmer-actually-remove-from-aquarium-water/
Well...that is a read way above my head. I already run it on a timer (20 on and 4 off) which doesn't seem to help. Its so efficient that it pulls the same amount out (presumably all of it) very quickly. I'll keep looking!

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefingIsMyTherapy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my Nyos Skimmer 160 3 days ago. I was assured it was dead silent, but it is not. I keep hearing a constant humming that I just can't figure out and have no idea how to get rid of. I totally understand that the skimmer needs to break in, but I'm starting to feel that the humming will not go away by itself.

I measured the noise level with the skimmer on and off and there's a ~20dB difference. Has anyone had a similar experience with this skimmer? If so, how did you fix it? My tank was dead silent before I turned the skimmer and this constant humming noise is driving me crazy.

Skimmer off
Screenshot_20220127-201116~2.png

Skimmer on
Screenshot_20220127-201313~2.png

I hope there's someone still checking this thread and can help. Thanks!

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my Nyos Skimmer 160 3 days ago. I was assured it was dead silent, but it is not. I keep hearing a constant humming that I just can't figure out and have no idea how to get rid of. I totally understand that the skimmer needs to break in, but I'm starting to feel that the humming will not go away by itself.

I measured the noise level with the skimmer on and off and there's a ~20dB difference. Has anyone had a similar experience with this skimmer? If so, how did you fix it? My tank was dead silent before I turned the skimmer and this constant humming noise is driving me crazy.

Skimmer off
Screenshot_20220127-201116~2.png

Skimmer on
Screenshot_20220127-201313~2.png

vibration resonance is pretty common with AC pumps. Check the shaft, magnet and bearings for any defects or binding at the bearings. sometimes the bearing cups at the ends of the impeller shaft can be tight at first until they get broken in, but sometimes that vibration never goes away. I would suggest breaking down the pump and look at the magnet and bearings for any defects, then make sure the impeller rotates smoothly in the bearings. If the magnet has the slightest defect it will increase the vibration resonance significantly. I have a few skimmers i don't run just for that reason. All are AC powered. The reasonably quiet AC powered skimmer i run from time to time is the Akula 160. The others i have are DC powered and are near silent.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had the same issue with a nyos 120, talking with people it just seems that the nyos skimmers have an annoying hum to them. A lot of owners tend to say they are the quietest skimmer but they are definitely not

ReefingIsMyTherapy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with a nyos 120, talking with people it just seems that the nyos skimmers have an annoying hum to them. A lot of owners tend to say they are the quietest skimmer but they are definitely not
I knew I wasn't crazy and the only one with this problem. I'll try what reeftivo recommends and see if that help.

Yasmar01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im still trying to decide what skimmer I should put in my Red Sea 350. Its between a Bubble King double cone 130, a Ultra Reef Akula 160, or a Reef Octopus Regal 150 INT 6". I cant make up my mind. I guess I just dont want to buy a skimmer based on price. I like the fact that the Octo has a DC controlable pump with feed mode as does the BK. The Ultra reef is an AC pump that from what I hear is set it and walk away. Ive heard so much about BK not being what it used to be. And that Ultra Reef is built like a Ferrari, but I dont care if its built pretty and is a tank. All I care about is how it works. What do you guys think?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im still trying to decide what skimmer I should put in my Red Sea 350. Its between a Bubble King double cone 130, a Ultra Reef Akula 160, or a Reef Octopus Regal 150 INT 6". I cant make up my mind. I guess I just dont want to buy a skimmer based on price. I like the fact that the Octo has a DC controlable pump with feed mode as does the BK. The Ultra reef is an AC pump that from what I hear is set it and walk away. Ive heard so much about BK not being what it used to be. And that Ultra Reef is built like a Ferrari, but I dont care if its built pretty and is a tank. All I care about is how it works. What do you guys think?
I have both. The double cone needs to run really shallow, but skims very well. Can't go wrong with either, but i give the edge to the akula. It bounces back much quicker after any disturbance (cup cleaning, hands in tank etc..), has a huge cup and should last for a loooong time with its build quality. Not too loud either being an AC pump but that all subject to users.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just an FYI. premium aquatics is having a 10% off ultrareef sale until the 18th.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to eventually pack the tank or upgrade in the future then the 180 would be better. Ultrareefs tank size ratings for the akula are pretty accurate compared to most. They don't overrate their suggested system volumes.

armandoarturo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
Im looking for some advice on what skimmer I should get.
Here are my aquarium specs:
- 62 Gallon display + 14 Gallon Sump = 76 G System
- Skimmer sump area = 7" wide x 15" long
- Im looking forward for a heavy stocked bioload (Mostly sps and lps with couple of tangs, 2 clowns, cleaner wrasse, bangai, and inverts).
- Im on a low budget, but I rather tight myself and get a good skimmer than getting a cheap one that will not do a good job. So I guess it could be an average cost - good skimmer.

(Ive been looking and this are the ones that seem to somehow fit my needs). - (Any other suggestion is very welcome).
- Reef Octopus Classic 110INT 4"
- ConeS Q-1 In-Sump Aquamaxx
- Curve 5 Elite Bubble Magus

Thanks so much for all your help and Advice.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back