Skimmer Q&A Thread

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inherited this BM Curve 5 from someone shutting down their tank, and I looked up a setup guide but it looks like it's missing a tube between these two parts that I've drawn a blue line on. What is this tube supposed to be for/can I use the skimmer without it, or how do I go about getting a new part? I live in Canada so a Canadian company that sells the part would be appreciated if anyone has any suggestions. Also from the picture, does it look like it's missing anything else?

1647376275327.png
get it wet, break it down and get some citric acid then dilute 1 to 4 parts water and let all parts soak at least 24hrs.

careful with the nylon screws as they tend to swell and can snap off if they are too tight.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump is wide open I just have some old filter floss and bio balls from my old tank in there ; I used them to seed new tank
thanks

that skimmer is magnet mounted, correct?

if so you can place it anywhere off the wall of that sump. I would mount it off the back wall facing forward so i could see the level of water at the weirs. The problem i see is that even with an ATO sensor in that sump, you will get probably 1/4 inch or more of water level fluctuation (drop) before your ATO kicks in for top off.

The 9002 and 9004 are pretty sensitive to water level fluctuations and the skimmer may not perform at it's best. I've had both 9002 and the AC version of the 9004. I get a 1/4 inch drop before my Tunze ATO kicks in but the sensor is in the return chamber and my skimmer chamber stays constant. Run it off the back wall for now and have the water level half way up the weir, then see how it performs.

I would save my pennies for a new sump in the future. A 20 or 22 gal cube sump would work great for that space.

I run this one, It has a 7 diameter sock and works nice with mesh (trigger syst-tideline 20). there are cheaper ones out there though that have dedicated/adjustable skimmer compartments. got mine on sale at fragtastic reef.
1647472297581.jpeg

Rick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer opinions for a Red Sea 300xl?
currently running my ATB 840v2 but it has a bubble blaster 2000 on it and the pump is noisy and under preforms.
ATB wants $300+ for a replacement (I don’t really want a Jecod product either and the dc sicce is stupid money)

the psk1000 that I have found don’t come with volute

FEC263B7-4C2F-4BFB-B5B0-75DE2D1E53F5.jpeg

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer opinions for a Red Sea 300xl?
currently running my ATB 840v2 but it has a bubble blaster 2000 on it and the pump is noisy and under preforms.
ATB wants $300+ for a replacement (I don’t really want a Jecod product either and the dc sicce is stupid money)

the psk1000 that I have found don’t come with volute

FEC263B7-4C2F-4BFB-B5B0-75DE2D1E53F5.jpeg
darn! The 840 is a good skimmer too. do you have the ATB volute from the original air star pump?

you could possibly PU a laguna pump (askol block), drill the flange and attach the OG volute.

**Just a positive note on my Jecod for my ATB; It has given me zero problems in 2 years, but i understand the hesitance. Silent and no noticible heat transfer.

what's your budget for a new skimmer?

Rick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure on replacement had contemplated going BK mini or deltec (also always wanted to try the KZ revolution M but tough to find used) but not sure any would be a better option I’ve been running atb skimmers since 2013 and they have been great. I did clean the bubble blaster and run the air intake outside and it seems better still vibration of the pump is loudest component of the tank
*Old volute is missing
image.jpg

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that ATB skimmer body design is tried and true. you could always contemplate throwing a varios S2 on there. i think they are like 270 and i'll bet the skimmer would be near silent. I've had a BK mini 160 and it was a great skimmer, but nowhere silent. Not sure if the issue was the red dragon NW magnet or the vibration dampening on the skimmer just wasn't up to snuff. I sold it a few years back. If you really want a performer and you are willing to spend "not quite BK bucks" look at the Ultra Reef Akulas. their typhoons are DC and the akulas are AC, but they skim and skim well. Not loud either. Built better than BK IMO. My wish list for a skimmer would be their typhoon series, but then i would have to buy my dream tank and that isn't in the cards for a loong while.

Rick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Ultra reef look nice, I oddly miss the old reef octopus space saver cones mine used to crush it on my old 120

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Ultra reef look nice, I oddly miss the old reef octopus space saver cones mine used to crush it on my old 120
Have you looked at the elegance 150 skimmer offers at atb usa. Think they are under 400. Sicce blocks. They are the new press fit base and bb plate designs. No screws. Bb plate is held in by the intake venturi for quick disassembly. Some people love it some not so much. My nano one has it and i like it.

Last edited:

jafoca11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Bubble Magus Z8 skimmer for my Red Sea Reefer XL200. I went with this skimmer because I modified my sump with a divider to add a refugium across the front of the sump, and so the 'space saving design' was very nice for fitting the skimmer in place.

Anyway - I am having issues getting the skimmer tuned. It seems like it either overflows or does nothing. I modded the skimmer with an air valve to control air volume, and I think it helps a little bit, but I am still not able to get a reliable skim rate.

I'm guessing it could be one of three things causing my problem:

1. Skimmer is oversized for tank- this skimmer is rated for 75 gallons with heavy bioload, the XL200 is only 54 gallons with sump
2. Skimmer is oversized for bioload - my tank currently has only 2 clowns, an orchid dottyback, and a highfin goby - my tank parameters seem to stay on the low side, but I am not sure if that has to do with ongoing GHA issue
3. Skimmer just isn't great / is hard to adjust because of it's 'unique' design

Anyway - just wondering what everyone might think is most likely. I could probably downgrade to the Z6 version if that makes more sense, but that is only rated for 40gal with heavy bioload, so that is why I didn't get it to begin with. Unfortunately the one thing missing from this skimmer, now, is control over the DC motor, so I can't use that as an adjustment parameter.

Jedi_Master

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Waterbox Marine X 90.3 is going to be delivered next week. Main display is 60 gallons with a 25 gallon sump. My eventual plan is move slowly, to have a mixed reef, and pack it with fish and coral. To take this into account, while researching I was under the understanding that one should buy a skimmer to handle a reef that you’ll have in a year from now instead of what you have now. So I went out and bought a Reef Octopus Elite 150INT. Skimmer is rated at 100 gallons heavy bioload.

1. Did I buy a skimmer that’s too big and therefore the wrong one?

2. what RO/DI system would one recommend? I’d like something decent that without a ton of wastewater (1:1.5 or 1:2, or am I really over thinking this).

Thanks.

Geoology

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading my set up to a IM 100 ext with a trigger platinum 26 sump. Looking at 3 different skimmers the regal 150sss, elite 150sss or the mini bubble king 160. Don't really want to spend to much money so I like the regal. But if the other 2 are that much better then I don't mind the other 2. Any real world advice on which will work well in the system would be much apprciated.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Waterbox Marine X 90.3 is going to be delivered next week. Main display is 60 gallons with a 25 gallon sump. My eventual plan is move slowly, to have a mixed reef, and pack it with fish and coral. To take this into account, while researching I was under the understanding that one should buy a skimmer to handle a reef that you’ll have in a year from now instead of what you have now. So I went out and bought a Reef Octopus Elite 150INT. Skimmer is rated at 100 gallons heavy bioload.

1. Did I buy a skimmer that’s too big and therefore the wrong one?

2. what RO/DI system would one recommend? I’d like something decent that without a ton of wastewater (1:1.5 or 1:2, or am I really over thinking this).

Thanks.
i run 6 inch >700 lph skimmers on my 60 and they skim just fine. the 150INT is variable so you have a lot more tuneability than an AC pump. They are rated at 75 heavy load up to 180 light.

you'll be fine

RO/DI? dont go cheap

i have a 6 stage BRS and i love it.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back