Skimmer Q&A Thread

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrading my set up to a IM 100 ext with a trigger platinum 26 sump. Looking at 3 different skimmers the regal 150sss, elite 150sss or the mini bubble king 160. Don't really want to spend to much money so I like the regal. But if the other 2 are that much better then I don't mind the other 2. Any real world advice on which will work well in the system would be much apprciated.
either octo will work

i would lean toward the regal 150sss. i just like the larger mixing chamber better than wine glass ones. both are variable so their tuneability is always a big plus.

the 160's are great too, but if you have to replace a pump down the road you will be paying a boat load compared to the first two options.

Jedi_Master

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run 6 inch >700 lph skimmers on my 60 and they skim just fine. the 150INT is variable so you have a lot more tuneability than an AC pump. They are rated at 75 heavy load up to 180 light.

you'll be fine

RO/DI? dont go cheap

i have a 6 stage BRS and i love it.
Thanks!

skyeshoppe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a Bubble Magus Curve 7 Extreme. I don't have my tank yet but the skimmer was on sale so I pulled the trigger. I am going to set it up on a 90 gallon with a refugium and GFO. I hope to eventually have a heavy bioload. I'm wondering if I should have gone with the Curve 5. I'm reading that it's better to go undersize.

I haven't received it yet. But I can return it but I have to pay a restocking fee and shipping. It will work out to be a wash. So basically I will have paid for a 7 but will get a 5. I don't mind doing it now if that's the right equipment because right now I have the option. Once I open the box I only have one option.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a Bubble Magus Curve 7 Extreme. I don't have my tank yet but the skimmer was on sale so I pulled the trigger. I am going to set it up on a 90 gallon with a refugium and GFO. I hope to eventually have a heavy bioload. I'm wondering if I should have gone with the Curve 5. I'm reading that it's better to go undersize.

I haven't received it yet. But I can return it but I have to pay a restocking fee and shipping. It will work out to be a wash. So basically I will have paid for a 7 but will get a 5. I don't mind doing it now if that's the right equipment because right now I have the option. Once I open the box I only have one option.
900 lph air draw. you should be fine if you plan on stocking somewhat heavy down the road. think the neck is either 3.75 in or 4 inch. i had a 3.75 in neck/1000 lph skimmer on a 60 and now a 75 and it skims great

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for a recommendation for a heavily stocked 120 gallon with 55 gallon sump. I have anthias, tangs, and some baby fish that need to eat a lot.

I’m currently running an ATB 840 v2, and I’m happy with it, but feel it may be a bit undersized.

Thoughts?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for a recommendation for a heavily stocked 120 gallon with 55 gallon sump. I have anthias, tangs, and some baby fish that need to eat a lot.

I’m currently running an ATB 840 v2, and I’m happy with it, but feel it may be a bit undersized.

Thoughts?
Hi E.

if you like the ATB then why not go ATB again

ATB USA has those Sicce SDC wifi skimmers at some good prices. What's your budget?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take a look at their 8.5 deluxe. even has neck cleaner wSicce /SDC wifi for jusy over 700

not sure if the dimensions would work for you, or that budget though.

just a thought

edit: may or may not include the neck cleaner. the shop photo shows it with the neck cleaner however it is not listed in the features. Sorry for jumping the gun

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltines,

My tank is about 10 months young now (wow, time flies). It's a simple 5g AIO. The uglies are starting to fade away (yeah) but one thing I have noticed is a film on my glass. This starts about three to four days after a water change. A simple scraping gets rid of it but when I start getting into the sixth day it's almost like the film reforms within a few hours. When I was going through the uglies this film would be green when I scraped it (film algae I suppose). Now it's more clear. I don't notice much in the way of surface film until about the sixth day. I have one of my powerheads facing up but it doesn't do much at the point where the film is reforming within a few hours. I do water changes once a week but this is more because I have to get rid of this film.

Would this be coming from the dissolved organic compounds and would adding a small skimmer help with the film and thus help prolong the water changes or is this film inevitable regardless of a skimmer? I see they make tiny skimmers now that I can fit in my back chamber.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it's a milky film then it's most likely bacterial. if you are dosing microbacter or something like that then stop for a day or two and report back. if you are not dosing anything it should subside on it's own. what kind of salt do you use?

kylemg2011

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an aquamaxx cone s Q-1 and i cant seem to figure out where i need to have the water level or even get the air silencer adjusted right!!!!! anyone have any suggestions?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a day or two you should start getting a nice foam head that starts pushing up towards the cup. Don't worry if it's not collecting yet, that just a sign is ready to be slowly adjusted upward. Report back in a couple days

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I personally would have gone with the ELITE line. Same skimmer with a sicce pump instead of their own knockoff brand.

I have the 5 elite on an 80G, with 30G sump(85 total water volume), with a heavy bioload(14 fish). Skims like a champ. The 7 might be a little to large IMO.

Just don't go with their recommendations on water height. They run best in 7" to 8" of water, not the 11" they claim.

E.intheC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take a look at their 8.5 deluxe. even has neck cleaner wSicce /SDC wifi for jusy over 700

not sure if the dimensions would work for you, or that budget though.

just a thought

edit: may or may not include the neck cleaner. the shop photo shows it with the neck cleaner however it is not listed in the features. Sorry for jumping the gun
Hey thanks for the recommendation - I’ll take another look at the ATB line. I wasn’t sure if there were bigger and better things out there now

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for the recommendation - I’ll take another look at the ATB line. I wasn’t sure if there were bigger and better things out there n

Hey thanks for the recommendation - I’ll take another look at the ATB line. I wasn’t sure if there were bigger and better things out there now
ultra reef akula series too. best in class in my opinion. on par build wise with BK and flat out skims!

DownUnderAqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2C56CA48-6E79-4F6A-B253-E55D01CDEF01.jpeg

Hey all,

seeking advice here….

I’m getting more foam than collections. Should I raise the water level in skimmer so it takes less time for the foam to hit the top?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would try a little silicone grease rubbed around the deflector on the lid. it should cause the bubbles to prematurely pop as they are deflected downwards and hinder the excess foam. what skimmer is it and what DT size?
Screenshot_20220513-083328_Google.jpg

DownUnderAqua

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would try a little silicone grease rubbed around the deflector on the lid. it should cause the bubbles to prematurely pop as they are deflected downwards and hinder the excess foam. what skimmer is it and what DT size?
Screenshot_20220513-083328_Google.jpg
Cool! Thank you, I’ll give it a go :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back