Skimmer Q&A Thread

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure more reefers will add to the list, but if you go with the Aquamaxx, then invest in some small bottle brushes/pipe cleaner brushes for those extended cones. Mine used to clean up nice but the cones took a bit more time.

it may be a little out of your budget, but ATB USA is selling their elegance 150 RS for a real good price too. I've had a couple ATBs (840/nano one) and they skim very well. http://www.atb-usa.com/product-p/20002.htm

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Octopus Essence S-130 on my 2 month old 75g. It has been working well since the beginning. I've had plenty of instances of it temporarily going crazy due to things added to the tank (e.g. epoxy, etc.) and a few instances where it has seemingly gone dead production-wise for a brief period, usually hours, but nothing that has persisted.

Two days ago, I did 2 things simultaneously to my tank in response to what I feared might have been early signs of ich in my tank. I added a UV sterilizer and I soaked some freeze dried mysis in 1-2 dropperfuls of Selcon for 5 min, added some tank water and dumped it in. I just happened to get them both delivered at the same time so I did them together otherwise there was no connection.

Shortly thereafter, and for 2 solid days since, my skimmer has completely stopped producing foam and is just "boiling" but it's also putting out massive amounts of microbubbles such that it looks like the returns in my tank are dry ice machines pumping out fog. I assumed it would clear up in a matter of hours like these things tend to do, but 2 full days later it's still doing it. Last night I swapped out my carbon hoping that it would pull anything out of the water overnight and settle it down but it seems to be about the same this morning. I've looked at threads on Selcon and it doesn't seem like this is a normal occurrence and I don't know how the UV could have done this minutes after adding it unless it was coated in something (it was brand new and seemed squeaky clean). All of my normal water params have maintained steady state other than ORP has been climbing since I added the carbon yesterday, probably due to cleaning up the water but the skimmer is still behaving the same.

So, in short, my skimmer is producing massive amounts of microbubbles and not producing any foam and my tank is clouded full of bubbles. Any thoughts on what might be doing this and if I am missing anything else? Is there any part of the skimmer that could have gotten clogged or something to create this condition?

Thanks!
Zach

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reef Octopus Essence S-130 on my 2 month old 75g. It has been working well since the beginning. I've had plenty of instances of it temporarily going crazy due to things added to the tank (e.g. epoxy, etc.) and a few instances where it has seemingly gone dead production-wise for a brief period, usually hours, but nothing that has persisted.

Two days ago, I did 2 things simultaneously to my tank in response to what I feared might have been early signs of ich in my tank. I added a UV sterilizer and I soaked some freeze dried mysis in 1-2 dropperfuls of Selcon for 5 min, added some tank water and dumped it in. I just happened to get them both delivered at the same time so I did them together otherwise there was no connection.

Shortly thereafter, and for 2 solid days since, my skimmer has completely stopped producing foam and is just "boiling" but it's also putting out massive amounts of microbubbles such that it looks like the returns in my tank are dry ice machines pumping out fog. I assumed it would clear up in a matter of hours like these things tend to do, but 2 full days later it's still doing it. Last night I swapped out my carbon hoping that it would pull anything out of the water overnight and settle it down but it seems to be about the same this morning. I've looked at threads on Selcon and it doesn't seem like this is a normal occurrence and I don't know how the UV could have done this minutes after adding it unless it was coated in something (it was brand new and seemed squeaky clean). All of my normal water params have maintained steady state other than ORP has been climbing since I added the carbon yesterday, probably due to cleaning up the water but the skimmer is still behaving the same.

So, in short, my skimmer is producing massive amounts of microbubbles and not producing any foam and my tank is clouded full of bubbles. Any thoughts on what might be doing this and if I am missing anything else? Is there any part of the skimmer that could have gotten clogged or something to create this condition?

Thanks!
Zach
probably just excess production residues coming off the new UV unit. It's common for skimmers to stop producing and throw micros when new equipment is added. Doubt it's the selcon or freeze dried mysis, but it could have had a little bit of a hand in keeping the skimmer from bouncing back. i would just shut off the skimmer for a day and aggressively run a good carbon for 24 hrs. Then fire up skimmer and let it settle back in. Don't stress, it will start producing again.

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably just excess production residues coming off the new UV unit. It's common for skimmers to stop producing and throw micros when new equipment is added. Doubt it's the selcon or freeze dried mysis, but it could have had a little bit of a hand in keeping the skimmer from bouncing back. i would just shut off the skimmer for a day and aggressively run a good carbon for 24 hrs. Then fire up skimmer and let it settle back in. Don't stress, it will start producing again.

Appreciate the insight! I assumed as much but it was taking longer than I expected. I did change out the carbon last night and I've noticed as the day goes on that the microbubble storm does indeed seem to be calming down a bit.

NYreefNOOB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you clen the uv before putting into use ? selcon will cause temporary loss of skimmate, also would make sure no blockage on airline to the skimmer, i usually once a month syphon hot water through air line

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the market for a protein skimmer and I'm wondering what'd be recommended for a 125 gallon reef tank with a 20 gallon sump. I'm not sure how large or small the bioload would be considered but my planned fish list is...
-Some Goby
-Royal Gramma
-Firefish
-Clownfish Pair
-Filefish Pair
-Melanurus Wrasse
-Blenny
-Blue-Throat Trigger
-Copperband
-Yellow Tang

And a variety of corals. Not planning on going up to acropora or anything but considering stuff like BTA's or even easy SPS like birdsnest.

This is one I'm eyeing but I'm wondering how effective it would be with my bioload. Seems cost-effective and is rated as above my tank size which I think I might need. Any experience with this one?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the market for a protein skimmer and I'm wondering what'd be recommended for a 125 gallon reef tank with a 20 gallon sump. I'm not sure how large or small the bioload would be considered but my planned fish list is...
-Some Goby
-Royal Gramma
-Firefish
-Clownfish Pair
-Filefish Pair
-Melanurus Wrasse
-Blenny
-Blue-Throat Trigger
-Copperband
-Yellow Tang

And a variety of corals. Not planning on going up to acropora or anything but considering stuff like BTA's or even easy SPS like birdsnest.

This is one I'm eyeing but I'm wondering how effective it would be with my bioload. Seems cost-effective and is rated as above my tank size which I think I might need. Any experience with this one?

looks like the Classic 150INT. should work okay but i think those are rated at 150 gal light load. others may have more info.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you haven't pulled the trigger yet make sure to take a look at the elegance 150 RS skimmer from ATB.
pretty sure it's a press fit body into the base, similar to the nano one but a better pump and more LPH air than the RO classic.

my nano one is a great skimmer, but uses their jecod DC pump w/airstar volute. a bit different but the elegance line from ATB has always had good reviews. around 60 more than the 150, so may not be in your budget. just wanted to give you another option to look at.

Mike H2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve gone and purchased my first skimmer. Tunze comline 9004 DC….not enough research on this apparently. Lol. Is there anyway to fit this into a reefer 250 v3 sump ? It will fit into the drain area but is that that too much flow for it ?

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inherited this BM Curve 5 from someone shutting down their tank, and I looked up a setup guide but it looks like it's missing a tube between these two parts that I've drawn a blue line on. What is this tube supposed to be for/can I use the skimmer without it, or how do I go about getting a new part? I live in Canada so a Canadian company that sells the part would be appreciated if anyone has any suggestions. Also from the picture, does it look like it's missing anything else?

1647376275327.png

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I inherited this BM Curve 5 from someone shutting down their tank, and I looked up a setup guide but it looks like it's missing a tube between these two parts that I've drawn a blue line on. What is this tube supposed to be for/can I use the skimmer without it, or how do I go about getting a new part? I live in Canada so a Canadian company that sells the part would be appreciated if anyone has any suggestions. Also from the picture, does it look like it's missing anything else?

1647376275327.png
lots of tubing available on amazon

that's the airline from the silencer to the intake venturi nipple. skimmer won't work without it

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve gone and purchased my first skimmer. Tunze comline 9004 DC….not enough research on this apparently. Lol. Is there anyway to fit this into a reefer 250 v3 sump ? It will fit into the drain area but is that that too much flow for it ?
would not be too much flow. just turbulent and if the overflow chamber fluctuates in water level it would be an issue.

post a pic of your sump

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back