Last edited:

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks

that sump water level will constantly fluctuate (not good for good skimming). Only way to get a skimmer to work well on that set up is to get some acrylic, cut it to size and glue in an "over wier" about an inch or so after the sponge area at the bottom. that would allow you to get rid of the bio balls and open up that wet dry area for the skimmer and live rubble or a media reactor. then you would just keep the return pump in the chamber on the right and set up your ATO sensor in the return chamber. this mod would keep the skimmer chamber water level constant. It's not a difficult mod but i still would recommend a new sump and skimmer down the road.
Screenshot_20220728-165313_Gallery.jpg

Caliyep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, I am using a Fluval PS1 skimmer on my Fluval Sea Flex 32.5G AIO. I've never had this type of skimmer before where there is a rubber band (O-Ring) that you adjust as well as an air valve (Air valve is normal, O-Ring thing is not). But I have 2 questions for anyone who knows.

1) Am I supposed to be cleaning the funnel trap on the bottom of the cup? (It seems like when I do clean that it takes days to start working again, not sure if this is normal)

2) No matter what I do for adjustments when it's working, I either get no skimmate, or very wet skimmate (that is light tan in color, not dark) which causes me to have to empty the cup constantly (sometimes two to three times a day, but more often than not at least daily).
Hi there did you solve your issue with the skimmer? I just got one and have the same issue, was wondering how did you go about it

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there did you solve your issue with the skimmer? I just got one and have the same issue, was wondering how did you go about it
I solved it by getting an IceCap K1-Nano. The PS-1 skimmer is terrible...

If you can't get a K1-Nano where you're at, the Tunze Comline DOC 9001 DC version (Non-DC as well but it's not as good) fits perfectly as well (Just need to relocate the magnet from the back to the side).

Other than that, I've got nothin'.

jsammon96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience upgrading reef octopus AC pumps to DC pumps, or with tuning air injection using valves on the silencer? considering one or the other currently after watching some BRS videos on the relative performance of a slower air injection rate causing less rapid bursting of bubbles formed and an overall dryer skimmate. Currently using an older reef octopus I got second hand with an AQ1000s AC pump (unsure of model but I believe it is a 110 or 150 internal.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would start with a valve. choking off the air a bit creates a finer bubble which can help a bit with tuning.

if you go with a pump the varios DC is plug and play but is pushing 300 bucks.

coral vue has the The Coral Box DCA2,000, 3,000 and 4,000 series which would take a little finagling to mount but are half the price of the Varios.

I would suggest starting with a valve and report back

WeberKettleGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a couple to consider:
simplicity 120DC
aquamaxx FC 80
What’s your opinion on the aquamaxx FC 80 vs the aquamaxx coneS co-1? I’m looking to build the same setup as the previous poster, 40g breeder with either a 20g long sump, or a 29 g sump if I need a deeper sump. I’ve not found many reviews on either of these skimmers. Thanks!

jsammon96

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would start with a valve. choking off the air a bit creates a finer bubble which can help a bit with tuning.

if you go with a pump the varios DC is plug and play but is pushing 300 bucks.

coral vue has the The Coral Box DCA2,000, 3,000 and 4,000 series which would take a little finagling to mount but are half the price of the Varios.

I would suggest starting with a valve and report back
Thank you, that's what I'm likely going to go with at first. Plenty of room to play with in sump depth so should be able to get a decent result with just restricting air. I'm not super heavily stocked or anything yet but want it to be skimming as dry as possible so when it is running its dialed in well.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your opinion on the aquamaxx FC 80 vs the aquamaxx coneS co-1? I’m looking to build the same setup as the previous poster, 40g breeder with either a 20g long sump, or a 29 g sump if I need a deeper sump. I’ve not found many reviews on either of these skimmers. Thanks!
Dang! forgot all about the CO1

I had a CO1 several years back and it skimmed really well. Things i didn't like were the cup (not a lot of volume), the fact that i had to run it pretty deep for best results on my system (every system is different) and the Looooong nylon screws that hold down the bubble plate. Skimmed like a little monster though and pretty quiet too.

One of the LFS in my area runs the FC-80 on a small frag tank separate from their main system and it chugs along well for them. I think the design has an edge over the CO1, but the CO1 is a good little skimmer. Just get some extra nylon screws for that bubble plate and base. Nylon screws swell and can snap off easily. Easy fix though.

WeberKettleGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang! forgot all about the CO1

I had a CO1 several years back and it skimmed really well. Things i didn't like were the cup (not a lot of volume), the fact that i had to run it pretty deep for best results on my system (every system is different) and the Looooong nylon screws that hold down the bubble plate. Skimmed like a little monster though and pretty quiet too.

One of the LFS in my area runs the FC-80 on a small frag tank separate from their main system and it chugs along well for them. I think the design has an edge over the CO1, but the CO1 is a good little skimmer. Just get some extra nylon screws for that bubble plate and base. Nylon screws swell and can snap off easily. Easy fix though.
Thanks for the input! I’m leaning towards the FC 80, as it’s a little cheaper too!

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Bought a new tank back in June from my LFS - AquaVim 155 corner. Well, it came with an eshopps RS-200 sump and a S-200 skimmer. Skimmer works well, but wondering if I can do better. Anyone ever try swapping the stock pump for a DC pump? Seems like it would be that much more awesome if you could. Also, i noticed the cup has a little drain plug on it, but the skimmer did not come with the tubing to drain it. I've been trying to find a replacement and have come up empty. I may just rig something up with some clear tubing and a zip tie.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer pump crapped out on me. Does anyone know if a Varios 4 or 6 will fit on this?

Attachments

• FED0A8A2-7F46-4D04-BE65-5A3F9AEA227B.jpeg
    FED0A8A2-7F46-4D04-BE65-5A3F9AEA227B.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 39

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer pump crapped out on me. Does anyone know if a Varios 4 or 6 will fit on this?
not sure the varios would fit that NW-200. the input is so low on those. It might though. i've read several threads where the bubble blaster 3000y hooks right up to that but it's a AC pump and they are notoriously loud pumps so DC would be the way to go. Hopefully someone else will chime in that has experience with that skimmer model. I'll poke around a bit for you and see what i can find.

try contacting RO directly and ask them

surlytx

Reefing Smarter, Not Harder (For Retirement)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact skimming: From what I have read, contact skimming will not affect plankton. I would like to add a contact skimmer to my tank. My tank is a IM Fusion 40. The only skimmer with a reference as contact skimming is the Tunze 9004 - which is okay as it would fit in the tank.

My questions are:
1. Am I correctly understanding contact skimming?
2. What other skimmers are contact skimming capable?

Thanks.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I come here to ask the great and powerful Mojo skimmer advice. I am setting up a 50g tank with a probable total water volume 12g sump. I am looking for an under $300 dc skimmer. Any suggestions? Is the aquamaxx dfc-80 a good value? I remember years ago they had great hob skimmers but have been out of the hobby for a decade and am essentially new to equipment anymore.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I come here to ask the great and powerful Mojo skimmer advice. I am setting up a 50g tank with a probable total water volume 12g sump. I am looking for an under $300 dc skimmer. Any suggestions? Is the aquamaxx dfc-80 a good value? I remember years ago they had great hob skimmers but have been out of the hobby for a decade and am essentially new to equipment anymore.
the AM would probably work fine, but there's no info on that motion pump

the simplicity 120 DC would be another option and has reviews

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on the best skimmer for a 60 breeder? Will be mostly a softie tank. Using an Ice Cap 30 sump. Right now leaning towards a Reef Octopus 110 INT or an Aquamaxx DFC80.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on the best skimmer for a 60 breeder? Will be mostly a softie tank. Using an Ice Cap 30 sump. Right now leaning towards a Reef Octopus 110 INT or an Aquamaxx DFC80.
i'll throw in a vote for the ATB nano one. Mine skimmed my previous 60 cube very very well. And silent too

only issue for some is it is a very short skimmer at 19 inches and setting up a skim locker isn't very doable unless you drill the cup and raise it or over drill one of the lid holes and hook up an aqualifter pump on a timer. DANG good performing skimmer though

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.3%
Back