Skimmer Q&A Thread

DanSavesTheDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run my used Reef Octo 1000 INT for a few days with no collection cup I added the cup and am not really getting any bubbles "only have a super thin layer on top of the water column it's pretty much all tank water". It's a bit under 6 inches submerged in the sump "20 gallon sump" trying to keep it at the reccomended 5.5-5.75in submerged.

Any suggestions to get it skimming properly?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run my used Reef Octo 1000 INT for a few days with no collection cup I added the cup and am not really getting any bubbles "only have a super thin layer on top of the water column it's pretty much all tank water". It's a bit under 6 inches submerged in the sump "20 gallon sump" trying to keep it at the reccomended 5.5-5.75in submerged.

Any suggestions to get it skimming properly?
Hi

can you get some pics or a video posted?

Travv26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing a build the tank is 72Lx24Hx26D. Have almost everything picked out and planned to get. I was going with the Reef octopus classic 202-s but now I've come across the Eshopps x-220. I like the purple color but want quality, are they comparable enough to go for looks over the other or is one far better?

JFleur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking to upgrade my smimmer... i currently have an aqualife mini for my biocube 32 and would like to get a much better one but im not sure of a direction to go... any suggestions will help.

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the official R2R Skimmer Q&A Thread where the answers to your questions are as concentrated as skimmate!

We will do our best as a community to answer questions you have concerning protein skimmers so ask away!

Thank you!

I have been using many skimmers and neverrr have i ever been able to adjust the skimmer.. no matter the brand. I am currently using bubble magus and the skimmer started over flowing due to something being in the tank. So i lowered the bubbles wayy below the neck like in the body of the skimmer and guess what? The skimmer finally started skimming brilliantly..

Any way ive noticed sometimes with the skimmer if i turn it off for maintenence and leave it off for a few minutes and turn it back the skimmer doesnt seem to be skimming right. If i then turn the skimmer off and on again it skims perfectly why is that?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking to upgrade my smimmer... i currently have an aqualife mini for my biocube 32 and would like to get a much better one but im not sure of a direction to go... any suggestions will help.
check your dimension but the Nuvoskim DC controllable or the tunze comline 9004 DC skimmer would be my top two choices given they fit. Depends on your budget though.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using many skimmers and neverrr have i ever been able to adjust the skimmer.. no matter the brand. I am currently using bubble magus and the skimmer started over flowing due to something being in the tank. So i lowered the bubbles wayy below the neck like in the body of the skimmer and guess what? The skimmer finally started skimming brilliantly..

Any way ive noticed sometimes with the skimmer if i turn it off for maintenence and leave it off for a few minutes and turn it back the skimmer doesnt seem to be skimming right. If i then turn the skimmer off and on again it skims perfectly why is that?
some skimmers can react like that. No real data on that but my guess would be that if you let it sit off for any length of time, the upper portion of the slime coat in the upper body can slightly dry out. this can cause the skimmer to react slower when powered back on later.

once the upper portion of the body and neck get wet, and you shut it off and back on, the slime coat reacts more uniformly and better skimming resumes. A slime coat in the body of a skimmer is essential and is how skimmers break in. when they are disturbed (like cleaning) or they dry out in part, that changes the performance until it re-adjusts or re-coats.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing a build the tank is 72Lx24Hx26D. Have almost everything picked out and planned to get. I was going with the Reef octopus classic 202-s but now I've come across the Eshopps x-220. I like the purple color but want quality, are they comparable enough to go for looks over the other or is one far better?
tough call

the neck on the octo is bigger but they run an aquatrance pump and the sicce psk1000 on the eshopps is a proven, solid performer.

I haven't ran either but the reaction chamber looks small for it's size on the eshopps, while the wine glass body of the octo looks better to me. Maybe someone will chime in that has experience with either. Just based on reviews, i would lean towards the Octo but the reviews on the eshopps are pretty good too. Just not many of them.

Good luck with your decision

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question for anyone who is familiar with running an external skimmer. Running an older RO skimmer on a 300 gal. system,. Do you want the end of the return down in the sump some or just at the water surface or even a little above the surface?
Thanks, Jim

asmodyus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, question would have Red Sea Reefer 900 be to much for 180 mixed reed fully stock tank? I need a skimmer that can run in 9" of water and was also thinking about the Nyos 220

DanSavesTheDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

can you get some pics or a video posted?

I had to make my own silencer cup which seemed to work but even without it it's not really foaming up at all. I have it submerged in the recommended 5.5-5.75 inches of water and it is next to my filter sock. I am starting to wonder if the reason is that the filter sock is catching what would be skimmed. I change my filter socks weekly.

20190922_233625.jpg

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, question would have Red Sea Reefer 900 be to much for 180 mixed reed fully stock tank? I need a skimmer that can run in 9" of water and was also thinking about the Nyos 220
900lph is about right but i'm not sure of the neck size. How many fish do you have? If you
I had to make my own silencer cup which seemed to work but even without it it's not really foaming up at all. I have it submerged in the recommended 5.5-5.75 inches of water and it is next to my filter sock. I am starting to wonder if the reason is that the filter sock is catching what would be skimmed. I change my filter socks weekly.

20190922_233625.jpg
Sorry about your troubles! i feel your pain and have been there!

hard to tell from the pic but it doesn't look milked out like it should (could be wrong though). can you get better close up pics?

a short video would help a lot.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20190922_233625.jpg
dumb question but your filter sock isn't getting sucked into the intake on the skimmer pump, is it? I had a mesh sock drift out through the bottom of my overflow exit right into my intake once. I weight my socks now LOL

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 large Tangs
2 Medium tangs
1 small to medium tang
3 clowns
1 blenny
1 Anthias
2 damsels
2 Bellus Angels
would this be your primary source of filtration or are you running an algae scrubber or reactor?

Your load is good, but if you are running other export methods like i mention, the skimmer may be idle quite a bit.

take a look at the video link above. i think the tank size is similar to yours. EDIT! his is a 140 and he's getting nice skim, so you should be fine with the 900 if you decide to go that route. he has some issues though in the video but not a deal breaker.

Last edited:

DanSavesTheDay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dumb question but your filter sock isn't getting sucked into the intake on the skimmer pump, is it? I had a mesh sock drift out through the bottom of my overflow exit right into my intake once. I weight my socks now LOL

No they are close to each other but I have never found it sucked into the intake. My sock usually stay vertical because my hook is a few inches above water level for the sock.

asmodyus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would this be your primary source of filtration or are you running an algae scrubber or reactor?

Your load is good, but if you are running other export methods like i mention, the skimmer may be idle quite a bit.

take a look at the video link above. i think the tank size is similar to yours. EDIT! his is a 140 and he's getting nice skim, so you should be fine with the 900 if you decide to go that route. he has some issues though in the video but not a deal breaker.

I am also running a Reef octopus media reactor with kaytalist beeds. Biggest thing is water depth and not having to get a stand.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back