Skimmer Q&A Thread

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... and keep in mind that it may have removed the organics to a negligible level .

I am not a fan of running a skimmer for the sake of running. skimmer (disclosure- I no longer run a skimmer). It's important that remember that running a skimmer's goal should be to keep NO3 and PO4 within your target range. Some reefers turn off the skimmer for parts of the day for this reason - their skimmer is too efficient and NO3 and PO4 falls below their target levels.

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatop Xyclone Protein Skimmer

Thanks that’s great advice . I’m still starting out and have two clowns , a fire fish, anemones and some CUC in 60gallons so I’ll be honest I haven’t been tracking specifics - just doing 15% water change weekly

It still has not returned to normal - very dense tiny bubbles.

I have a bit of a flatworm outbreak so I have been very careful with feeding

what model HOB is it?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatop Xyclone Protein Skimmer

Thanks that’s great advice . I’m still starting out and have two clowns , a fire fish, anemones and some CUC in 60gallons so I’ll be honest I haven’t been tracking specifics - just doing 15% water change weekly

It still has not returned to normal - very dense tiny bubbles.

I have a bit of a flatworm outbreak so I have been very careful with feeding
If you still have that black air intake pre-filter on the air line, then take it off and run it without. Also, if you havent already, take the water/air (venturi) intake assembly off the pump and remove the air line from the nipple it connects to. Then thoroughly clean out that nipple (use citric acid or vinegar and let sit in solution for a few hours). then reconnect everything.

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running one on my 250g and I have no complaints so far. I get about 5g of skimmer nog every 3 weeks or so. :)

I have never cleaned it or the collection cup in the 3-4 months I have used it. I was wondering is it really necessary to clean it?
I clean mine once a month and about every six months give it a white vinegar bath to remove the purple stuff lol. I get a mason jar every two to three days.

Bethany Yates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m running an octo 110 INT - the manual was garbage, assembly instructions non existent and I’m not sure how to even break this thing in or confident I’ve even got it set up right. Currently skimmer cup drain is plugged, valve wide open, cup is filling full of water and overflowing. Very minor amount of bubbles coming out of lid vents. I’m getting really frustrated. For 200+$ it should put be this hard to figure out. Anyone running same? Tips?

image.jpg
I have had trouble with octo products in the past... If you are unable to detune the reaction chamber so that it is not overflowing, I would wonder if the water level in your sump is too high. Maybe try putting the skimmer on top of a plastic frame. I have used old tupperware in the past with good luck.

Bethany Yates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My octo 150SSS is putting out microbubbles and nothing I do seems to help. I have disassembled it twice with no change.

Anyone run into this problem?

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at an old poll on this forum to ask if anybody is intermittently running their skimmers. It looks like >90% are skimming 24/7. I set up my new skimmer today. Seems to be working really nicely. Started to pull dark green skimmate from about 16:00 to 18:00 and then is doing the boiling water thing so I'm guessing there isn't much else to pull at the moment.

It would be nice to run the skimmer during the day and off at night for noise purpose alone. This only interferes with some sump water level changes that will confuse the top off system. Anybody actually running on/off skimmer throughout the day with ATO?

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at an old poll on this forum to ask if anybody is intermittently running their skimmers. It looks like >90% are skimming 24/7. I set up my new skimmer today. Seems to be working really nicely. Started to pull dark green skimmate from about 16:00 to 18:00 and then is doing the boiling water thing so I'm guessing there isn't much else to pull at the moment.

It would be nice to run the skimmer during the day and off at night for noise purpose alone. This only interferes with some sump water level changes that will confuse the top off system. Anybody actually running on/off skimmer throughout the day with ATO?
I tried putting mine on a timer but half the time when it comes back on it goes nuts. I have mine draining into a mason jar and it will wet skim and overflow it. so I set mine on yhr low side and leave it running.

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the official R2R Skimmer Q&A Thread where the answers to your questions are as concentrated as skimmate!

We will do our best as a community to answer questions you have concerning protein skimmers so ask away!

Thank you!
Hello I have a big issue with my skimmer as it takes water out of my sump more or less And changes the water level often so my ato gets stuck on on or of how can I fix this?

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skimmers can be adjusted to reduce the amount of water being skimmed. depending on the model, you can try changing the flow through it so that the bubbles do not come so far up the cone. or you can change the level of the skimmer in the sump to do the same thing. the drier the skimmate the less water the less the ATO is on. but if your ATO is sticking that is an issue that also needs attention.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, some help needed here... Skimmers are admittedly not my strong point. I recently downsized to a BK180 on my tank. I've managed to get skim but have to keep the water level extremely high to do so (a few inches from the top of the cup) with the skimmer in 8.6" of water per the instructions. I have the wattage set at 24... Unfortunately, despite skim I am getting a ton of micro bubbles. What can I do to fix?

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, some help needed here... Skimmers are admittedly not my strong point. I recently downsized to a BK180 on my tank. I've managed to get skim but have to keep the water level extremely high to do so (a few inches from the top of the cup) with the skimmer in 8.6" of water per the instructions. I have the wattage set at 24... Unfortunately, despite skim I am getting a ton of micro bubbles. What can I do to fix?
is that a mini 180?

how long has it been running?

Mario0240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

quick question. Would raising my slimmer up the 1/2” or so it needs to be up to get the slim at to flow into the collection container be detrimental to the skimmers effectiveness? Also, any tips on what to use to raise it up? I can get florescent diffuser to use as egg crate, but it’s kind of pricey. Especially for a 6”x6” square.

D0A8E0CF-9CC8-4015-A581-53BE40A2CA23.jpeg 2CFD7448-469D-483C-A156-9C2564197A4A.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back