Skimmer Q&A Thread

Mr. Charlie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes,

150 will work since it's rated 100 for heavy stocking, 150 medium stocking etc.. I just may not idle much if you are at heavy stocking levels.

The 200sss would give you more room, it just doesn't have the larger mixing chamber as the int has, and is a little more work to get the pump clean since you'll have to break it down a bit to get to the pump. $60 more bucks for the 200sss isn't that much more so look at the reviews.
Thanks for your help. I appreciate the input. I’d assume it’s worse to go too big on the skimmer? Since it’s borderline I’m probably better off with the 150 int?

here’s the skimmer chamber size : 15.6 X 9.9”. If I end up not using the refugium there is a removable baffle that would make it more than big enough.

RO 200 INT Footprint : 14.6 X 9.8”

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help. I appreciate the input. I’d assume it’s worse to go too big on the skimmer? Since it’s borderline I’m probably better off with the 150 int?

here’s the skimmer chamber size : 15.6 X 9.9”. If I end up not using the refugium there is a removable baffle that would make it more than big enough.

RO 200 INT Footprint : 14.6 X 9.8”
skimmer tank size ratings are hit and miss with many manufacturers. a rule of thumb is get a skimmer that is rated to handle double you display size with a light load and you should be fine. If you get a skimmer that is too large and there aren't enough organics in the water, then the foam head will build and then drop out frequently because there isn't enough load to sustain the foam head and keep it consistent. The organics then just build in the neck and not in the collection cup. Nothing will drive a person more crazy than dumping a bundle on a shiny new skimmer and fiddling with it constantly for weeks, then realizing it's too big for your bio load. Been there, done that LOL

Mr. Charlie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skimmer tank size ratings are hit and miss with many manufacturers. a rule of thumb is get a skimmer that is rated to handle double you display size with a light load and you should be fine. If you get a skimmer that is too large and there aren't enough organics in the water, then the foam head will build and then drop out frequently because there isn't enough load to sustain the foam head and keep it consistent. The organics then just build in the neck and not in the collection cup. Nothing will drive a person more crazy than dumping a bundle on a shiny new skimmer and fiddling with it constantly for weeks, then realizing it's too big for your bio load. Been there, done that LOL
So the 150 Int. then , right? LOL. ...... it’s rated for a lightly stocked 210 gallon OR heavily stocked 100 gallon

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the 150 Int. then , right? LOL. ...... it’s rated for a lightly stocked 210 gallon OR heavily stocked 100 gallon
yep, I think you'll be happy. runs 6 to 8 inches in sump, but start it off at 6 if you can, then let it break in with gate valve fully open for at least a couple days.

dirtyxducks19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need advise on skimmer selection and setup. I currently have a wet/dry sump The water level stays pretty low. Thinking about upgrading the sump but wanted to see if I can make it work. Here is the sump and water level in the sump. I see that most skimmers need about 6-8inchs of water. The tank is currently set up in the garage doing a leak test. Still have a long way to go. Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• F0AC471E-27B1-4188-A2FA-15C15DB2E9B8.jpeg
    F0AC471E-27B1-4188-A2FA-15C15DB2E9B8.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 34
  • F10F761F-73C8-4238-A0D8-A54E3FC7FB0B.jpeg
    F10F761F-73C8-4238-A0D8-A54E3FC7FB0B.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 34
  • F9D54E51-2997-4D4A-8F92-39B18629CAD9.jpeg
    F9D54E51-2997-4D4A-8F92-39B18629CAD9.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 5086963C-C5D6-44F7-8E84-3DC3B3CFEDF8.jpeg
    5086963C-C5D6-44F7-8E84-3DC3B3CFEDF8.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 24
  • 608AC005-3E3C-441D-984F-AC9AE1735416.jpeg
    608AC005-3E3C-441D-984F-AC9AE1735416.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 25

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water level is at 5 inch. Maybe I need to add baffles?
i'd think a baffle would be your easiest option. you could just get a small piece, measure top to bottom, then score and snap it. i would use silicone and not cyanoacrylate glue in case you want to remove it later. best silicones for acrylic i've used are Dapp commercial kitchen sealant and Gorilla clear silicone sealant. those you wont need to rough up the surfaces to get them to stick well. The edge goes to Gorilla. Note, let it fully cure before getting wet if you go the baffle route.

what's your display size and stocking levels you have or want to achieve?

Last edited:

dirtyxducks19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd think a baffle would be your easiest option. you could just get a small piece, measure top to bottom, then score and snap it. i would use silicone and not cyanoacrylate glue in case you want to remove it later. best silicones for acrylic i've used are Dapp commercial kitchen sealant and Gorilla clear silicone sealant. those you wont need to rough up the surfaces to get them to stick well. The edge goes to Gorilla. Note, let it fully cure before getting wet if you go the baffle route.

what's your display size and stocking levels you have or want to achieve?
Thank you! I think I decided I’m going to make a diy with a 20 gallon long and the baffle kit you can find on eBay. This will give me the ability to have a refuge which I really want since I currently have a mandarin goby in me 30 gallon( I have several pod cultures running to keep her fed). The new tank is a 3ft 70gall tall

Jivatma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm putting together my first tank. Last real big piece of equipment is my skimmer.

I plan on a 75g DT and 40b sump. Can someone recommend a skimmer?

I was looking at a RO s130 and then somebody recommended a DC skimmer, so I started looking at a RO regal 150int.

Is there something else I should consider when picking out a skimmer? My biggest thing is noise. I don't mind a little, but I just don't want it to sound like there's a angry bee hiding in my tank stand.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DC would be your least noisy option. 150 may be a bit on the big side but with the 3" neck it should be fine. i have a couple 3 inch+ neck 6 " skimmers i run on my little 60DT 22 gal sump and they both rock. One is DC and the other AC

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, new reefer here with a skimmer question(s). I have an Eshopps S200 in my sump for my Red Sea XL300 which is 65g display and 15g sump. Currently have 4 fish in the tank which has been up running for 2 months now. I have learned that skimmers need a break in period but wondering typically how long that might be? I do not get much bio foam at all which I am guessing is due to a light bio load of fish so not much to skim? There are times when the skimmer seems like it is set properly and starting to produce foam and then I come home later and it is over flowing or sometimes has lost pressure so the bubble aren't even reaching the cup? Why these variations occur, I do not know if the settings remain the same. I keep the air inlet wide open and only adjust the water gate side to set the bubble level in the cup which is what Eshopps said to do.

Do you just need to wait for more break in time and bio load? It is a slightly oversized skimmer for the tank but thought that is not necessarily a bad thing especially if I go with more fish? Thanks for any suggestions.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feel your frustration.

2 months is long enough for break in on any skimmer. Are you constantly tweaking it and not giving it enough time to settle so you can see the results. if working with a broken in skimmer you should wait at least an hour between adjustments and only do small incremental adjustments. That's a 7 inch skimmer so it is a little oversized however should still skim fine. I would suggest lowering the internal water level of the skimmer by fully opening the effluent gate and leave the air at full. Then just leave it alone for 24 hrs. After 24, take a look at it and see if it has formed a full head of foam that is consistent and not building and dropping out. Don't worry about skimmate in the cup at this point. If the head is stable, then give the gate valve a 1/4 or 1/2 turn closed then leave it alone for at least an hour, then report back. Pics if possible.

If the foam head is still stable but struggling to get up the neck that's okay. As long as it doesn't drop out and boil then do it again, the skimmer should skim okay. if it remains unstable then you can address the air and possibly putting a valve to close it a bit. Problem with closing off air is that skimmers are designed and matched for a specific pump and air/water throughput, so if air is choked off it will increase the flow through the skimmer and may still not function properly. Especially if it is oversized.

Tivo

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i feel your frustration.

2 months is long enough for break in on any skimmer. Are you constantly tweaking it and not giving it enough time to settle so you can see the results. if working with a broken in skimmer you should wait at least an hour between adjustments and only do small incremental adjustments. That's a 7 inch skimmer so it is a little oversized however should still skim fine. I would suggest lowering the internal water level of the skimmer by fully opening the effluent gate and leave the air at full. Then just leave it alone for 24 hrs. After 24, take a look at it and see if it has formed a full head of foam that is consistent and not building and dropping out. Don't worry about skimmate in the cup at this point. If the head is stable, then give the gate valve a 1/4 or 1/2 turn closed then leave it alone for at least an hour, then report back. Pics if possible.

If the foam head is still stable but struggling to get up the neck that's okay. As long as it doesn't drop out and boil then do it again, the skimmer should skim okay. if it remains unstable then you can address the air and possibly putting a valve to close it a bit. Problem with closing off air is that skimmers are designed and matched for a specific pump and air/water throughput, so if air is choked off it will increase the flow through the skimmer and may still not function properly. Especially if it is oversized.

Tivo

Thanks for the reply. I have already been using the steps you suggested and it still seems finicky and not producing skim foam effectively. Just when think it is going to work properly, I will go for several hours or overnight and have a cup spilling over in the morning or if the bubbles are to low in the neck then no waste is produced in the cup. I'm just speculating that a few more fish will give it enough bio load to really skim finally and produce that dark foam waste at the top and into the cup.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I have already been using the steps you suggested and it still seems finicky and not producing skim foam effectively. Just when think it is going to work properly, I will go for several hours or overnight and have a cup spilling over in the morning or if the bubbles are to low in the neck then no waste is produced in the cup. I'm just speculating that a few more fish will give it enough bio load to really skim finally and produce that dark foam waste at the top and into the cup.

if that's the case then you could try a pinch valve on the airline to restrict it a bit and see if that helps. these work well. just measure the o.d. of the hose

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if that's the case then you could try a pinch valve on the airline to restrict it a bit and see if that helps. these work well. just measure the o.d. of the hose

Don't I already have an air control valve with the skimmer? When I micro adjust it close it raises the water level and creates wet skim bubbles that will typically overflow the cup quickly. I've tried multiple adjustments with it and also 2 different skimmer stands and same result. Currently the neck is about half full with whit bubbles and there is a little dark colored skim foam on top of that but not enough to overflow into the cup. I am hesitant to raise the white bubble level in the cup because when I get home later it will most likely be overflowing the cup. There just is no consistency with the skimmer right now. I hope it is just due to a 2 month new tank and only 4 small fish for bio load.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this your first in sump skimmer?

can you send a video of it running in the sump and get close to it so the air/water line in the body is visible?

I am new to the hobby. First saltwater tank. Here is a short video and this is about as close as it gets to working properly.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few pictures too. Thank you for the guidance.

Attachments

• 20210611_082651.jpg
    20210611_082651.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 20210611_082639.jpg
    20210611_082639.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210611_082619.jpg
    20210611_082619.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 41

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the hobby. First saltwater tank. Here is a short video and this is about as close as it gets to working properly.
okay. that helps a lot

the bubble line is waaaay too high. lower that line where the bubbles are breaking so that they break an inch below the lower blue collar where the cup attaches. Then leave it alone for 24 hours. DO not tweak it at all and report back in 24 hours

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back