Skimmer Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hungriee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Hungriee

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 20, 2008
Messages
284
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have the original SWC Xtreme 160 skimmer (not the cone) type. I run my skimmer pretty dry to build up the entire neck with gunk but I don't get too much skimmate (liquid). I run it on a 40G breeder right now temporarily (heavily stocked) until i set up my 135G cube.

Do you think this old time skimmer is powerful enough for the 135 cube? I plan on keeping at least 2 tangs (hippo & yellow) and a bunch of (~5-8) small fish (clownfish, gobies, a few wrasse). As for corals, I am mostly a zoa and LPS collector.

I was thinking about the new SWC 160 [Up to 650lph/23scfh of air pull using custom impeller]
or 180 Cones but noticed the specs seems below this original 160 xtreme [up to 32scfh to 37scfh of air pull using custom pin wheel impeller and up to 50scfh using mesh wheel impellers], any suggestion?

The one thing I don't like about the xtreme 160 is the pump (Sicce PSK-2500 pump) - its very hard to take off and dismantle to clean, and runs super hot which isn't necessarily a bad thing b/c I barely use my heater.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 2 6.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new