Skimmerless 15-Gallon Mixed Reef

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve just proven that at simple tank works fine just what I have been said for years . Great reef thanks for sharing

OP
OP
Alexraptor

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to take some rocks I had laying around, and expand the right-hand structure with a rock wall and placing a Tenuis frag on one of the joints. :)
Reef61L-2023-10-06.jpg

My efflo continues to gain color, and is now clearly adopting a very distinct purple and green coloration! Growth has slowed, but I'm assuming that has to do with it adapting and putting more energy into pigment production.
AcroEffloColorUpPart2.jpg

Curious thing is that it also seems to have completey changed its feeding strategy from when I got it.

For the first 6 months or so it had very prominent axial polyps that extended at night, waving in the current. They have entirely vanished, and instead it now seems to secrete copious amounts of mucus and rely on mesenterial filaments to catch food.

I broadcast feed Ocean Nutrition Reef Pulse daily in the tank, and whenever this happens the acro turns into a fuzzy pillar!
AcroEfflo-2023-10-06.jpg

Just a little closeup of one of my first colonies, and the very oldest coral l have. It's stuck with me through everything, good times and bad times.
ProtopalyCloseUp.jpg

OP
OP
Alexraptor

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new "surface skimmer"! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Jokes aside, he seems to be doing a real good job cleaning up coral mucus. Used to have a lot of that constantly collecting in that corner, with my tank only having a single pump. :)

OP
OP
Alexraptor

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another month gone by...

ReefTemp3.jpg

Unfortunately had to trim away part of the bottom of the acro, as something hat attacked/was eating away at it. Didn't want to chance a bacterial cause. Seems to have stalled growing for the moment, but it has also now nearly completed it's color transition and now boasts a pure purple/green color.
ReefTemp2.jpg

And my monti cap, Honestly I don't know when i should even start cutting it back, at this point it's starting to seriously shade my frogspawn. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
ReefTemp1.jpg

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what an awesome tank! I've been debating about starting a 10 gallon nano with my little guy, and this post has me really excited to get it started.

OP
OP
Alexraptor

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radical changes!

Reef61L-2023-12-22.jpg

Main bulk of the colony has been growing along the watersurface for several months now. So i made the decision to cut it back, remove all the dead old growth and drop it a level. In doing so I've also freed my green monti from the red colony's shadow.

Frogspawn stems were also heavily eroded and very brittle, so I decided to cut the colony down to size.

OP
OP
Alexraptor

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks on, plenty of new growth!
Reef61L-2024-01-08.jpg

My efflo in particular has seen a dramatic change since the monti was cut back, and the flow patterns changed. A lot of new tips popping up here, and the colony has started producing axial polyps again!
AcroEffloGrowthTips-2024-01-08.jpg

Nighttime shot with the new axial polyps extended, the colony hasn't produced these for a whole year.
AcroEffloNewAxials-2024-01-08.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks on, plenty of new growth!
Reef61L-2024-01-08.jpg

My efflo in particular has seen a dramatic change since the monti was cut back, and the flow patterns changed. A lot of new tips popping up here, and the colony has started producing axial polyps again!
AcroEffloGrowthTips-2024-01-08.jpg

Nighttime shot with the new axial polyps extended, the colony hasn't produced these for a whole year.
AcroEffloNewAxials-2024-01-08.jpg
Coral looks like it is doing great!

OP
OP
Alexraptor

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my hands full lately with getting started on my thesis. Things are going great, though my Acro does seem to have something of an identity crisis. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reef61L-2024-02-19.jpg

It seems to have switched gears from color to growth. And quite rapid growth as well, i might add.
AcroEfflo-2024-02-19-2.jpg

AcroEfflo-2024-02-19.jpg

OP
OP
Alexraptor

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green monti cap was encroaching a bit too fast on the Efflo in the past month. So I broke off the whole shelf, snapped the foot off, and swapped places. Efflo has a bit more breathing room now and hopefully time to put out more vertical growth.
Reef61L-2024-03-13.jpg

I'd say the placement of the efflo is perfect for this panorama tank. :)
Reef61L-2024-03-13-Panorama.jpg

Lots of healthy fresh growth. Still amazes me how well a minimum-tech tank actually works. :)
AcroEfflo-2024-03-13.jpg

And speaking of growth. My brains days in this tank are now sadly numbered. He's just simply growing too much and too fast to stay here. Actually got caught up on the skeleton with the algae magnet the other day, so I'd give it a month, two tops, before I have to move him to another tank!
Favia-2024-03-13.jpg

Not bad comeback story, given that this was the state of it 12 years ago. :)
OldBrain2012-04-29.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back