Skipping Ugly Phase?

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, just curious if any of you have a go-to method that you use in order to skip or greatly reduce the severity of the ugly phase in your tank. Personally, I was overdosing micro-bacter clean in one of my first tanks for a while and never experienced an ugly phase. Do any of you start off a tank and carbon dose soon after? Been looking into NP-Bacto Balance from Tropic Marin lately.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, just curious if any of you have a go-to method that you use in order to skip or greatly reduce the severity of the ugly phase in your tank. Personally, I was overdosing micro-bacter clean in one of my first tanks for a while and never experienced an ugly phase. Do any of you start off a tank and carbon dose soon after? Been looking into NP-Bacto Balance from Tropic Marin lately.
Yes, just using all live rock

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using all live rock or already established rock from an existing tank would be the best way imo as well. If you use dry materials You will get some "uglies" no matter what and the degree to which you find them ugly is up to you.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose ”never experienced” mean set up the aquarium and 2-4 years later, still no “uglies”?

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my third tank, and by no means an expert, but I have to vote for live rock form the ocean, or from an established system (2+ years). Any time I have introduced "virgin" rock, even in an established system, it takes some time to get covered in the good stuff, and goes through some stages of uglies on those specific rocks. And when I moved, with all 3-5 year old rock, into multiple diff holding tanks, over a few months, my tank didn't skip a beat. No algae outbreaks of any kind.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%
Back