Small Cephalopods

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within the next two months I’m going to be setting my new reef tank and i plan on moving all of the fish out of my 14 gallon nano into the bigger one. I was thinking
about trying either octopus or cuddlefish as I’ve always been interested, but I’m not 100% sure. It would be a good time as the tank will be completely empty. It’s really down too three things... are there any common species that can be kept in such a small tank? I’ve seen many octopi labeled as dwarf, same with cuddlefish. Are they super hard to feed? I’m fine with feeding some live shrimp for a while, maybe not forever. Also, are they really expensive or can they be found in the 30-60 dollar range? I think this would just be an interesting thing to try if it’s possible, they don’t live long so if I don’t end up enjoying it I won’t have to care for them for a long time. This is just kind of been a thought of mine, I’m not intent on it though.

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefgen breeds two species of cuttle- I expect the less fancy one would be in your price range. Bluezoo has tank raised in stock for $26.96.

OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect price, the problem is that they need 50 gallons... is that for a group? Are they typically social? I could probably get two. I’m just afraid that the space will not accommodate them..

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several dwarf cuttles are social (generalization) while octopus are usually solitary. They need that large space despite their size mainly for security. Cephalopods are a lot smarter than our fish and for some reason seem to require ample space despite the fact that they don't move a lot and like to hide in one place only. They are definitely not suited for a nano

OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several dwarf cuttles are social (generalization) while octopus are usually solitary. They need that large space despite their size mainly for security. Cephalopods are a lot smarter than our fish and for some reason seem to require ample space despite the fact that they don't move a lot and like to hide in one place only. They are definitely not suited for a nano
yea after doing a bit of reading I quickly realized this. Atleast I didn’t have my heart set on it. I guess I’ll just go for my second option which was a pair of cypho purpurascens.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea after doing a bit of reading I quickly realized this. Atleast I didn’t have my heart set on it. I guess I’ll just go for my second option which was a pair of cypho purpurascens.
It's a shame that we cant keep em in small tanks that highlight their beauty (Actually at the aquarium I work at we keep some baby flamboyants in a nano but it took a long time to get them acclimated and they require constant attention). Unique fisha re always a good nano subject. Let us know what you eventually decide to go with

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back