Small clams?

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am a bit confused on what I read. Can anyone give me advice on smaller clams for an aquarium? I would like one that is brightly colored and will not outgrow my tank. I am not giving the size of my tank since that is subject to change. Just want to know which clams are smaller and which names it goes by. This being my issue mostly. Just when I think I know the right clam I see it under a slightly differing name and get confused if it is the same. And if you have any long term experience with them I would appreciate hearing it.

Shelley

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am a bit confused on what I read. Can anyone give me advice on smaller clams for an aquarium? I would like one that is brightly colored and will not outgrow my tank. I am not giving the size of my tank since that is subject to change. Just want to know which clams are smaller and which names it goes by. This being my issue mostly. Just when I think I know the right clam I see it under a slightly differing name and get confused if it is the same. And if you have any long term experience with them I would appreciate hearing it.

Shelley
Hi! Many people enjoy maxima clams because they are usually very blue and don’t get overly large. They can be blue, green, gold, brown, and have a lot of pattern varieties.

Crocea clams are also very good, they come in lots of colors like blue, green, gold, and brown with a lot of patterns. They don’t get too big either.

Clams are very easy as long as you have good water quality. Keep your calcium up because they need it for their shell. Small ones also enjoy being fed phytoplankton a couple times a week. They need high light (I have mine under an AI Prime) and they will scoot around a little to get in a position they like. They should be exactly upright to make sure they get enough light and they should have some hard substrate/clam cradle to sit on so they stay upright. Don’t move your clam after it attaches, this could damage the foot.
Make sure your clam is very healthy when you get it (if you wave your hand over it to make a shadow it should close very quickly, and check for pyramid snails on the outside)

Here’s a pic of my little maxima!
A9887FB1-FBA1-43CB-BD90-C0270287C301.jpeg

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Many people enjoy maxima clams because they are usually very blue and don’t get overly large. They can be blue, green, gold, brown, and have a lot of pattern varieties.

Crocea clams are also very good, they come in lots of colors like blue, green, gold, and brown with a lot of patterns. They don’t get too big either.

Clams are very easy as long as you have good water quality. Keep your calcium up because they need it for their shell. Small ones also enjoy being fed phytoplankton a couple times a week. They need high light (I have mine under an AI Prime) and they will scoot around a little to get in a position they like. They should be exactly upright to make sure they get enough light and they should have some hard substrate/clam cradle to sit on so they stay upright. Don’t move your clam after it attaches, this could damage the foot.
Make sure your clam is very healthy when you get it (if you wave your hand over it to make a shadow it should close very quickly, and check for pyramid snails on the outside)

Here’s a pic of my little maxima!
A9887FB1-FBA1-43CB-BD90-C0270287C301.jpeg

Very nice. And very small. I had heard that you should get a larger one since they have a better chance to survive. I really like to get things small and watch them grow. Not into instant gratification unless it is chocolate!

Thanks for all the information. Sadly I will have to order mine as I live in Wyoming. Any suggestions on ordering one?

Last edited:

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. And very small. I had heard that you should get a larger one since they have a better chance to survive. I really like to get things small and watch them grow. Not into instant gratification unless it is chocolate!

Looks like you have a small led setup. Which one? Beautiful clam.
It is under an AI Prime. You should get clams small because that means they’re aquacultured. If you buy a clam larger than 3 1/2 inches from a store/online that’s not from a hobbyist who grew it out, it may be from the ocean and could be diseased or sick. Pacific East aquaculture sells really nice clams that they aquaculture themselves

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is under an AI Prime. You should get clams small because that means they’re aquacultured. If you buy a clam larger than 3 1/2 inches from a store/online that’s not from a hobbyist who grew it out, it may be from the ocean and could be diseased or sick. Pacific East aquaculture sells really nice clams that they aquaculture themselves

I was looking at their site earlier today. Have you bought from them?

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And sorry, I missed where you said what light at first. I should not read fast ever!

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at their site earlier today. Have you bought from them?
I have not, always wanted to though. I have the luxury of living in a place with like 10 LFS within an hour of me so I prefer to buy in store. I have always heard good things about them though

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Shelley
I just get little baby clams from the bay behind my house and toss em in I have 2 in main tank and 3 in my invert tank,, it’s only been couple of months so I don’t know how fast they grow,, guess I’ll find out

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the negative on having claim in tank
It could get too big, taking a lot of real estate that you could be using for other corals, and they will take a lot of calcium in their early growing stages. Also, they are a little pricey (usually between 100-200$ depending on where you buy it and the grade of the clam).

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just get little baby clams from the bay behind my house and toss em in I have 2 in main tank and 3 in my invert tank,, it’s only been couple of months so I don’t know how fast they grow,, guess I’ll find out
IME, it’s pretty fast as long as you keep up your calcium. They should always have a white growth rim on the shell when they’re not max size

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do not have any crocea right now. Divers Den has several. Footgal real estate is not my largest concern. Proper lighting is one. But my SPS all seem to be thriving. I did not want something that had the potential to outgrow an average size home aquarium. I looked at your build thread. Very very nice. Your enthusiasm is contagious. Right now I have a 40 gallon breeder I am putting coral in. It doubles as a quarantine for snails and starfish.

OP
OP
code4

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not, always wanted to though. I have the luxury of living in a place with like 10 LFS within an hour of me so I prefer to buy in store. I have always heard good things about them though

Petco is my only choice near. I drove to Fort Collins in Colorado a couple of weeks ago. Purchased some nice perennials and corals. Even found a nice large red mushroom. Which I hope is becoming attached to some rubble I gave it. It is open fully and looks great.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco is my only choice near. I drove to Fort Collins in Colorado a couple of weeks ago. Purchased some nice perennials and corals. Even found a nice large red mushroom. Which I hope is becoming attached to some rubble I gave it. It is open fully and looks great.
Pacific East aquaculture and divers den are probably where I would buy clams online. PEA has really high prices, but quality clams and great selection (within maximas). DD has lower prices but very limited selection.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back