Small tank / big fish?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure you could do that physically. You'd run into problems with overstocking and severe stress to the fish, which could end up killing it.

The only large fish suitable for a small tank are frogfish. As long as you keep the water clean, a frogfish is fine in a fairly small tank for its size, since it's not an active fish at all. You can run into some issues with them being messy fish that produce a lot of waste, but a frogfish in a heavily filtered, relatively small tank will do just fine. They're kinda like pac-man frogs.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, ever since I saw a juvenille French angel swimming in a sort of cay in Puerto Rico, I've always liked that breed.
I apologize for jumping to conclusions, I'm just conditioned by running an aquarium group and having people stuffing fish into tanks they have no business being in lol And I always hear "oh I'll get it a bigger tank when I need to" and 6 months later they're trying to rehome their foot-long fish that's been kept in a 29 gallon in water that looks like milk lol You're doing your due diligence and I can appreciate that

OP
OP
Orlando_V

Orlando_V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why do you even ask that question when you already decided that you will get one either way? Sounds like you feel guilty already and want to hear someone telling you that it isnt that bad.

Well ofcourse it is possible. But it is not enough space for the natural behavior for that fish.

just my 0.02
Huh? I don’t have one nor will I be getting one after reading the intelligent replies (excluding this one of course).

OP
OP
Orlando_V

Orlando_V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intelligent replies to intelligent questions.
I just do not see the point in asking such a question
Intelligent replies to intelligent questions.
I just do not see the point in asking such a question…
Then skip it. Just seeking answers that understand the question and especially don’t jump to conclusions. Thank you.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to keep a juvenile Koran or French angelfish in a 30 gallon tank for any length of time?
180g for the French 250g for the koran

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, I don't think any angels were harmed by this person asking a question.

I agree that angels won't do well in that tank size, unless it's for a couple month quarantine.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be a good minimum size gallons for a Koran?
It's a hard question to answer as the same species of captive fish can all grow to different adult sizes, and at different rates, based mostly on quantity and quality of food you want to get them. I also feel other tank inhabitants also play a role in that answer and that also varies greatly from tank to tank.

Once a fish gets to the 6-8'' range I feel they need a 5' tank. Then anything bigger and you would want a 6' tank.

Most fish up to 5 inches should be fine in a 4' tank like a 75 - 120.

That's just my personal feeling and comfort range. I have known better fish keepers than myself who had an Emperor Angel that to my eyes appeared to be close to 7-8'' in a 4' tank for many years.

I think you can probably keep the koran to about the 3-4'' mark for at least a couple years and anything in that range is fine in like a 40 breeder which I believe is 36'' long.

If you like the fish and have the tank setup and cycled to support it then I say get it. Even if you only get a couple years of enjoyment out of it before you have to give it away that will be money well spent. I have found there are no shortage of takers for free fish. Might be different if you are in a very small community though.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These angels aren’t for the average tank, IMO even the tanks in the “large” category here (180-390G) and a fair amount of tanks in the 400+ range I wouldn’t feel comfortable putting in one of these angels. They not only get big but also very tall, especially the French. I’m also not a fan of getting any fish I can’t keep for life. Having to give it away a couple years (or sooner than that) down the line because it’s outgrown your tank isn’t a good feeling.

FishRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a French Angel that lived under my pier it had to be the size of beach ball easily 18 inches across. It would regularly swim up peck at you when diving left nice little circle serrated cuts. I couldn’t see a full grown French in anything less than 500 gallons

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back