Small white dots on Scopas Tang

antman327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C067A520-7089-4D26-8650-BE6154671B44.jpeg

I noticed around a week ago that my Scopas Tang had these small whites dots on his body. I have no clue what they are, I ruled out Velvet and Ich due to the fact that the dots haven’t spread to other parts of his body. I think it might be some sort of bacterial infection possibly. But i’m still unsure I haven’t really been able to come to a precise conclusion on what these dots could be. No other fish in my tank has contracted these dots from my tang either. Any help or comments would be helpful!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Please refrain from cross posting as it takes away from others who too are seeking answers for their issues. These look like mucus cones often associated with ich and develops excess mucus that excretes from the skin cells and in lieu of spreading outwards and along the body, will rise up as a cone or a plug from previous skin irritation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

antman327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please refrain from cross posting as it takes away from others who too are seeking answers for their issues. These look like mucus cones often associated with ich and develops excess mucus that excretes from the skin cells and in lieu of spreading outwards and along the body, will rise up as a cone or a plug from previous skin irritation.
Could you tell me what I should do to try and resolve this issue. I was thinking of possibly doing a copperbath and maybe using some antibiotics.

thanks

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Could you tell me what I should do to try and resolve this issue. I was thinking of possibly doing a copperbath and maybe using some antibiotics.

thanks
If this fish has not yet been quarantined, you can start with copper. Other option is hyposalinity running salinity in QT at 1.009.
For copper, You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
A

antman327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this fish has not yet been quarantined, you can start with copper. Other option is hyposalinity running salinity in QT at 1.009.
For copper, You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
Ok thank you, when i was doing research I saw so many different takes on what people do in cases similar to this. I didn’t know if it was just a abrasion mark or a infection. So you definitely think I should Qt and dose copper?
Sorry for all the questions/inquiries too.

OP
OP
A

antman327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is also bb just to let you know if that affects anything aswell.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My tank is also bb just to let you know if that affects anything aswell.
BB wont affect this, but if treating, take the rock out
Is this artificial rock and was it rinsed and cleaned prior to going into tank?

OP
OP
A

antman327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was live rock and I rinsed it off before putting it into the tank. The tank itself is around 2 months old and the stock list is the Scopas, bicolor angel, and a purple bassalet.

OP
OP
A

antman327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this mean I don’t need to setup a qt tank and just do treatment in my dt. If i remove all my live rock.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Does this mean I don’t need to setup a qt tank and just do treatment in my dt. If i remove all my live rock.
You dont want to add copper to your display- Do it in quarantine tank. Seeing the rocks and your mention of bare Bottom, I assumed this was a QT tank

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back