Smallest Nano Inhabitants!?

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I absolutely love Pom Pom crabs. They're like a small cheerleader/mascot of a tank. One question about these is do Pom Poms damage Coral to replace dead Anemone? I know they split it but what if the anemone is too small to split. I also wonder if they get aggressive and eat small 1" fish.

Nope. They only use the anemone. They take care of them by feeding them. I had one for 4 years and never had problems with it touching corals or losing an anemone. My current one I've had a year in a 10 gallon Nuvo with tons or florida ricordea, zoanthids, coral banded shrimp and pistol shrimp with no issues. They will not harm fish. They are very small.

OP
OP
shrimped

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. They only use the anemone. They take care of them by feeding them. I had one for 4 years and never had problems with it touching corals or losing an anemone. My current one I've had a year in a 10 gallon Nuvo with tons or florida ricordea, zoanthids, coral banded shrimp and pistol shrimp with no issues. They will not harm fish. They are very small.
Thanks for the reply. Good to hear they are harmless! Pom Poms will be added to the list.

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone got Golden Assessors, Sunburst Anthias, Helfrichi Firefish? Are they worth the price?
The school of tryssogobius will probably be the biggest investment. For show fish I feel that the pricing on the three you listed is well worth it...provided you have a lid

OP
OP
shrimped

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a fan of all of them. IMO worth the price.
Oh all the choices for a 34g hahahaha! So my fish list is more than full lol!
Hybrid Neon Goby
(Elacatinus oceanops x E. figaro)

Pink Streaked Wrasse
(Pseudocheilinops ataenia)

Yellow Head Jawfish
(Opistognathus aurifrons)

x5 Blue Eye Dartfish
(Tryssogobius colini)

Pictus Blenny
(Ecsenius pictus)

Blue Stipe Pipefish Pair
(Doryrhamphus excisus)

Sunburst Anthias
(Serranocirrhitus latus)

Yasha Goby Pair
(Stonogobiops yasha)

(Optional) Helfrichi Firefish
(Nemateleotris helfrichi)

(Optional) Golden Assessor
(Assessor flavissimus)

I'll get a powerful skimmer... probably a Magus Curve 5 or Nyos Quantum 120

OP
OP
shrimped

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The school of tryssogobius will probably be the biggest investment. For show fish I feel that the pricing on the three you listed is well worth it...provided you have a lid
I'll get one of those artfully(?) Acrylic lids for a Red Sea Reefer 130. How much is one Tryssogobius Colini?

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get one of those artfully(?) Acrylic lids for a Red Sea Reefer 130. How much is one Tryssogobius Colini?
I haven't seen them in a long time but I believe the last time I did, it was around $20 retail. They're unbelievably tiny but striking and well worth it for a shoaling fish

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang $20 I can do. I thought it was $40-50 each lol. Thanks for telling me the price!
That was several years back. I believe it was at Maxreef when they were still in the Bronx. They also had the flaming prawns for $60 each. Check out circus gobies for another cool nano fish. I just saw one at one of my suppliers hanging out upside down under a ledge in one of their reef tanks http://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/376144/black-barred-circus-goby

OP
OP
shrimped

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was several years back. I believe it was at Maxreef when they were still in the Bronx. They also had the flaming prawns for $60 each. Check out circus gobies for another cool nano fish. I just saw one at one of my suppliers hanging out upside down under a ledge in one of their reef tanks http://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/376144/black-barred-circus-goby
I saw a few of these gobies before. They were very striking in the nice pastel-like color. LFS told me they were not worth the money $50 because they are was too small and hide often so I didn't buy one for my current tank.

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw a few of these gobies before. They were very striking in the nice pastel-like color. LFS told me they were not worth the money $50 because they are was too small and hide often so I didn't buy one for my current tank.
I think it depends on how you do your scape. They hide in the rocks more so if you set it up so that they can hide around the rock structure rather than in it, you should be fine. For me personally, I actually enjoy the fish that you see on occasion as much as the fish that are right out front. I have some pretty cryptic fish in my 125 and its always a treat when they're out. If you balance high visibility fish/inverts with periodic visibility fish/inverts, it adds some cool depth to your reef. I'm really looking forward to this setup you're planning.

OP
OP
shrimped

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on how you do your scape. They hide in the rocks more so if you set it up so that they can hide around the rock structure rather than in it, you should be fine. For me personally, I actually enjoy the fish that you see on occasion as much as the fish that are right out front. I have some pretty cryptic fish in my 125 and its always a treat when they're out. If you balance high visibility fish/inverts with periodic visibility fish/inverts, it adds some cool depth to your reef. I'm really looking forward to this setup you're planning.
Thank you for looking forward to my upgrade tank build! I really appreciate it man! My plan for aquascape is going more into the simplistic or minimalistic design. Silicon, Coral glue, and epoxy will be used for it. I'm going between something similar to these designs. (Note none of these photos are mine)

IMG_3670.JPG

IMG_3584.JPG

IMG_3677.JPG

If the aquascape is just as minimalistic as the ones above then I'll think about either a Circus Goby, Flaming Prawn Goby, or some small dragonet.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how hard are those blue eye dartfish to keep? are they seasonal? never seen before...

OP
OP
shrimped

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how hard are those blue eye dartfish to keep? are they seasonal? never seen before...
I believe they are just as hard to keep as Red Dot Cardinals, Raos Dartfish, or Mini Dartfish where you need super tiny foods (maybe live artemia) to feed them and train them onto small frozen or pellet foods. Not sure if seasonal but I've only seen them on Live Aquaria DD once and Quality Marine

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they are just as hard to keep as Red Dot Cardinals, Raos Dartfish, or Mini Dartfish where you need super tiny foods (maybe live artemia) to feed them and train them onto small frozen or pellet foods. Not sure if seasonal but I've only seen them on Live Aquaria DD once and Quality Marine
I just talked to one of my suppliers about them and he said that they come in from Cebu but the depth they're found at and difficulty to catch make them rarely available.

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for looking forward to my upgrade tank build! I really appreciate it man! My plan for aquascape is going more into the simplistic or minimalistic design. Silicon, Coral glue, and epoxy will be used for it. I'm going between something similar to these designs. (Note none of these photos are mine)

IMG_3670.JPG

IMG_3584.JPG

IMG_3677.JPG

If the aquascape is just as minimalistic as the ones above then I'll think about either a Circus Goby, Flaming Prawn Goby, or some small dragonet.
I especially like the first two. Especially if you want to do the sunburst anthers and assessors. They definitely appreciate a good overhang

OP
OP
shrimped

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just talked to one of my suppliers about them and he said that they come in from Cebu but the depth they're found at and difficulty to catch make them rarely available.
Dang I really wish someone Captive breed these so they can be readily available. I wonder why most smaller nice looking fish are always in the deep water.

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok once I get the rocks I'll try to do some nice overhangs. I hope some epoxy will hold it up
JB Waterweld works pretty well. I use super glue to get a general shape and then go over the glued joints with epoxy putty. Its worked well in my experience.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 157 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back