OP
OP
shrimped

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JB Waterweld works pretty well. I use super glue to get a general shape and then go over the glued joints with epoxy putty. Its worked well in my experience.
Thanks for the suggestion! It says that it works on sinks and other hardware so it should work extremely well for small rocks. I wonder if it leaches any chemicals or reef safe (probably a dumb question since it's a water epoxy), do they cure extremely fast, easy to mold, make Skimmer go crazy?

OP
OP
shrimped

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Katrina71 the temptation was real yesterday!
IMG_3676.PNG

Sheltered Reef AC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion! It says that it works on sinks and other hardware so it should work extremely well for small rocks. I wonder if it leaches any chemicals or reef safe (probably a dumb question since it's a water epoxy), do they cure extremely fast, easy to mold, make Skimmer go crazy?
You get about 20 minutes before it hardens once you knead it together so working with smaller sections is better. It's potable water safe so it shouldn't leach anything. It would most likely affect your skimmer though.
If you build everything dry and then fill the tank around your structure it should have plenty of time to cure.

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get about 20 minutes before it hardens once you knead it together so working with smaller sections is better. It's potable water safe so it shouldn't leach anything. It would most likely affect your skimmer though.
If you build everything dry and then fill the tank around your structure it should have plenty of time to cure.
What he said. Also, keep your hands wet so it doesn't stick to you. Makes it much easier to work with

OP
OP
shrimped

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What he said. Also, keep your hands wet so it doesn't stick to you. Makes it much easier to work with
Thanks for the info! Is there anyway I can not make the skimmer go crazy? Will this break my Skimmer or is there any downside to it? Will it fade away in a week or so? I really appreciate all the support and replies I got for this thread! Thank you all!

Ryan@ShelteredReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! Is there anyway I can not make the skimmer go crazy? Will this break my Skimmer or is there any downside to it? Will it fade away in a week or so? I really appreciate all the support and replies I got for this thread! Thank you all!
I think most of the issues that people experience with epoxy and their skimmer have to do with letting the epoxy cure under water. If do all of your epoxy work prior to filling the tank, you shouldn't have an issue. It's a 24 hour full cure I believe. If it does make your skimmer get all wonky, that usually subsides within a day.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Peer pressure...@-SHRiMPar0306_
IMG_20171004_175106969.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
shrimped

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of the issues that people experience with epoxy and their skimmer have to do with letting the epoxy cure under water. If do all of your epoxy work prior to filling the tank, you shouldn't have an issue. It's a 24 hour full cure I believe. If it does make your skimmer get all wonky, that usually subsides within a day.
Great! I'll order like two of these soon! Thanks!

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I Googled it! I wonder if Hef had seabunnies in his tank?

OP
OP
shrimped

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I go for a mandarin? My LFS trained em on Mysis already but it might break the small nano rule... (photo not mine)

IMG_3679.jpg

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone got Golden Assessors, Sunburst Anthias, Helfrichi Firefish? Are they worth the price?
I have the captive bred Assessor from ORA. The only thing I don't like about it is the yellow / gold can get very dull, to the point it almost starts looking tarnished. It is a somewhat personable fish though, and mine finally started to do the perch upside-down behaviour the wild ones are known for. The $100 price tag always scared me off, I only bought it because someone ordered it in and flaked out, lost their 50% deposit so I picked it up for $50 CAD.

The thing I love about the nano mindset is there are tons of little things you can add to the tank, especially the inverts. I picked up one of the anemone shrimp (Periclimenes brevicarpalis), and it's almost always visible on the anemone, and has a specific spot on the purple plating montipora where it seems to sit at lights out.

anemone_duo
by Kyl, on Flickr

OP
OP
shrimped

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the captive bred Assessor from ORA. The only thing I don't like about it is the yellow / gold can get very dull, to the point it almost starts looking tarnished. It is a somewhat personable fish though, and mine finally started to do the perch upside-down behaviour the wild ones are known for. The $100 price tag always scared me off, I only bought it because someone ordered it in and flaked out, lost their 50% deposit so I picked it up for $50 CAD.

The thing I love about the nano mindset is there are tons of little things you can add to the tank, especially the inverts. I picked up one of the anemone shrimp (Periclimenes brevicarpalis), and it's almost always visible on the anemone, and has a specific spot on the purple plating montipora where it seems to sit at lights out.

anemone_duo
by Kyl, on Flickr
Thanks for the info! I guess I won't be getting the Golden Assessor since it looses color over time. I don't feel like spending $100 for one. I like how it goes upside down in caves. I'm also scratching out the mandarin idea as it might get too large for a 34g. Nice shrimp btw! I'm extremely into all kinds of anemone shrimp... I wish I can get all of em hahaha!

Sea in the City

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw above red spot cardinals...they get big and mean. Check out Bumble Bee Shrimp, they're awesome. Pandas are cute but hard to keep. Barnacle Blennies, Gumdrop Crouchers are awesome. Pompom crabs are fun.

Sea in the City

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a fish that swims upside down, similar to the Assessor, check out the Ascension Goby Priolepis ascensionis. Super cute, also a cave dweller but much less expensive.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back