Smallest tank that can be reasonably cared for?

For me, my tiny fountain pump raised the temperature of my three gallon tank up to 82 degrees. But I live in Florida, and the ambient temperature of the house was already 78-79 degrees. If I lived where it was colder, this heat gain would be an advantage.

It was a cheap fountain pump.
 
I have a 2 gallon jar that ended up with a 0.5 - 1 gallon sump (never measured the sump size). At this time I don't think I would go smaller, since I was having issues with 100% water changes.
Coral seems unhappy if I do a full change so I just try to change the volume of the sump every week and use a filter sock for a few hours if I get food settling on the bottom (maybe once a month).
I am slowly setting up another 2 gallon without sump. If I can get the 100% water change system figured out I may be interested in trying smaller.
image.jpeg
 
I have a little 2.5-3 that's going pretty smooth so far. I do approximately 90% water changes once a week. IDK if I'd go smaller personally.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new