Smat farms led from Amazon

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new mount is round tubing, and on initial inspection is super sturdy feeling, but the more you tighten the more it leans in toward the water. At least with a rimmed tank, maybe its different when you have a rimless tank? But the weight of arm + light makes it fall completely forward.
20220518_140603.jpg
20220518_140535.jpg

So i referenced the "directions", and it shows installation screws on the inside, but that would leave the excess tubing going into the water...
20220518_140957.jpg
20220518_140700.jpg

But with the screws against the glass, it feels sturdy. So I had the husband redrill and tap two holes on the opposite side where it was blank.
20220518_140931.jpg
20220518_142043.jpg
20220518_142051.jpg

So now its mounted up and looks good, feels sturdy. Took hubs less than 5 minutes.
20220518_150330.jpg
20220518_191924.jpg

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the old mount better. Guess I can't get another because the unmatched mount will drive me crazh

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this new mount... doesn't look like there's an adjustment to extend the light forward or back? I like the old mount where I can pull the light more towards the front and keep the back glass more in the shadows.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this new mount... doesn't look like there's an adjustment to extend the light forward or back? I like the old mount where I can pull the light more towards the front and keep the back glass more in the shadows.
There is a slight adjustment, the piece that mounts on the light itself slides into the tubing and held with a set screw. I can take pictures when I get home to show it.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See the small thumb screw behind the bigger ones.
I assume bar slides in/out a bit..
20220518_140957-jpg.2679852

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the new one fan on all the time too?
So far I hear the fan come on and off on its own, seems like variable speed, sometimes I can barely hear it, other times it's louder, but I wouldn't consider it too loud.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use the metal nuts to mount it with the plastic screws or just the screws by themselves
Sorry for the late reply. Just the plastic screws. I didn’t have room for the nuts

Mperry622

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I rock 3 of these lights and love love love how simple they are.. no need to over complicate things. they have a master and slave deal where even when i had one downstairs on the other end of the house it sync'd with master no issues. The one con i found is if you kill power to it via apex and cycle back on the timer stays but the slaves all become masters and time on each is off. so light could be high as hell and on 24/7... glad i caught it. they 100% ramp the fans up and dn as needed and will cut fans off if light intensity is low. you only set on and off time and sunrise ramp time and sunset.. if you set sunrise to 6:30 to 8:30 the lights take a very long time to reach daylight. just my 2 cents i have had them for 5 months and moving all three to my 125 :) cheers

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rock 3 of these lights and love love love how simple they are.. no need to over complicate things. they have a master and slave deal where even when i had one downstairs on the other end of the house it sync'd with master no issues. The one con i found is if you kill power to it via apex and cycle back on the timer stays but the slaves all become masters and time on each is off. so light could be high as hell and on 24/7... glad i caught it. they 100% ramp the fans up and dn as needed and will cut fans off if light intensity is low. you only set on and off time and sunrise ramp time and sunset.. if you set sunrise to 6:30 to 8:30 the lights take a very long time to reach daylight. just my 2 cents i have had them for 5 months and moving all three to my 125 :) cheers
Are your lights the v1 or v2?

I have a couple of the v1 units with one set to slave mode, and it doesn't revert to master mode when I cut the power to that light. It always comes back on in slave mode and works as intended. I wonder if that is an issue that only affects the v2 units??

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if there are two distinct versions of this light?

I know there is v1 and v2 but looking at different versions of the instructions... there appears to be different LEDs.
One version shows channel 5 as 3000k white, and the other says channel 5 is 650nm red.

The one I have is clearly 3000k white for the 5th channel, is anyone's actually 650nm red??

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if there are two distinct versions of this light?

I know there is v1 and v2 but looking at different versions of the instructions... there appears to be different LEDs.
One version shows channel 5 as 3000k white, and the other says channel 5 is 650nm red.

The one I have is clearly 3000k white for the 5th channel, is anyone's actually 650nm red??

It doesn't appear to have red at all
16542232444517237542255254685843.jpg

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smat Farm made a bunch of lights, mostly for the MJ growing crowd, before offering a few models for the reefing crowd.
They probably just took a previously used layout and swapped out a few LEDs to give it a spectrum more suited for reefing and didn't fully update the pictures before posting them. Or maybe the decision to go with warm white leds over red leds for Channel E was made after they had already finalized the advertising graphics.

I think the incorrect LED layout showing the red leds were posted online, but I don't think anybody actually got a light with red leds in it. I'm pretty sure the manufacturer posted that led layout by mistake.. or was perhaps like I said, an earlier led array that they had considered, but didn't end up using? I'm not sure what the deal is with that led layout because I don't believe anybody actually received a light with that setup, with red leds. If you go to the Smat Farm site now, its still shows both layouts, the correct one and the incorrect one showing red leds instead of warm white. Or maybe it was just a mixup on whether to call that channel RED or Warm White... These lights are made in China after all. Chinese products are not known for having the best documentation, this one is no different.

Regardless of the reason, I don't think anybody actually has the RED leds in their lights.

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smat Farm made a bunch of lights, mostly for the MJ growing crowd, before offering a few models for the reefing crowd.
They probably just took a previously used layout and swapped out a few LEDs to give it a spectrum more suited for reefing and didn't fully update the pictures before posting them. Or maybe the decision to go with warm white leds over red leds for Channel E was made after they had already finalized the advertising graphics.

I think the incorrect LED layout showing the red leds were posted online, but I don't think anybody actually got a light with red leds in it. I'm pretty sure the manufacturer posted that led layout by mistake.. or was perhaps like I said, an earlier led array that they had considered, but didn't end up using? I'm not sure what the deal is with that led layout because I don't believe anybody actually received a light with that setup, with red leds. If you go to the Smat Farm site now, its still shows both layouts, the correct one and the incorrect one showing red leds instead of warm white. Or maybe it was just a mixup on whether to call that channel RED or Warm White... These lights are made in China after all. Chinese products are not known for having the best documentation, this one is no different.

Regardless of the reason, I don't think anybody actually has the RED leds in their lights.
Bummer. I don't use the 3000k white channel at all ... I think I would use the red at a few percent if it were there instead.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back