Smiddy's Reef 360 Peninsula

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build man. I love the extra wide tank, it really gives a nice viewing experience. The mount for your gyre on the front panel was a great idea, I don't even notice it in your photos.

I'm also in CO and am just beginning my 270g and fish room build. I'm going FOWLR on this tank so we have more options on the fish we can get. I might add some low end corals as it matures and see how they do.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build man. I love the extra wide tank, it really gives a nice viewing experience. The mount for your gyre on the front panel was a great idea, I don't even notice it in your photos.

I'm also in CO and am just beginning my 270g and fish room build. I'm going FOWLR on this tank so we have more options on the fish we can get. I might add some low end corals as it matures and see how they do.

Thank you! I am really happy with my decision to do 4ft wide. If I ever upgrade, I will definitely keep the 4ft width. I am pretty happy with how the gyre mount turned out. Can barely see the cord in the DT.

Where in CO are you? I really wish I had unlimited resources and space. I would have a 500g fish only. There is so many beautiful angels and butterflies I would have. I am sure there is some coral options you can have in a FOWLR that will do just fine.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I am really happy with my decision to do 4ft wide. If I ever upgrade, I will definitely keep the 4ft width. I am pretty happy with how the gyre mount turned out. Can barely see the cord in the DT.

Where in CO are you? I really wish I had unlimited resources and space. I would have a 500g fish only. There is so many beautiful angels and butterflies I would have. I am sure there is some coral options you can have in a FOWLR that will do just fine.
I live out in Peyton, a small town just east of Colorado Springs. One of the requirements when we were looking at homes 3.5 years ago was a place for a large tank and fish room. This house did not have the best setup for that, but as you saw in my build thread, using part of the garage made it work. One day when I decide I don't need my large shop to tinker in, I might convert that into a man cave and put another big butt tank out there. I would not be space limited out there at all.

I'm sure we will find a few corals that will not get eaten. We both like the flowing stuff more, so I'd be happy with just a bunch of GSP growing on some of the rocks. lol

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't mind the ulva ;).
Achillies 1.JPG

Fathead Anthias.JPG
FTS 1.0.JPG
FTS 2.0.JPG
Gig and clown.JPG
Mid Tank.JPG
Mili.JPG
Moorish Idol 1.JPG
PBT.JPG
Skunk Tile.JPG
Tenuis.JPG
Voodoo.JPG

Stunning!

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live out in Peyton, a small town just east of Colorado Springs. One of the requirements when we were looking at homes 3.5 years ago was a place for a large tank and fish room. This house did not have the best setup for that, but as you saw in my build thread, using part of the garage made it work. One day when I decide I don't need my large shop to tinker in, I might convert that into a man cave and put another big butt tank out there. I would not be space limited out there at all.

I'm sure we will find a few corals that will not get eaten. We both like the flowing stuff more, so I'd be happy with just a bunch of GSP growing on some of the rocks. lol
Way out there I see!
There is always the option of a house addition. I would have a real hard time giving up a shop space. Always wanted a mill and lathe at the house.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way out there I see!
There is always the option of a house addition. I would have a real hard time giving up a shop space. Always wanted a mill and lathe at the house.
In all honesty, I would not give up the shop space either... I would just move the shop stuff out to the barn and set it up there ;) We have 5 acers and the Wife got out of horses last year, so I've got some space laying around if its needed someday.

I really want a CNC router for my shop. We already have two laser engraver/cutters and they do most of what I'd like to do, but the CNC route would open up a lot more possibilities.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty, I would not give up the shop space either... I would just move the shop stuff out to the barn and set it up there ;) We have 5 acers and the Wife got out of horses last year, so I've got some space laying around if its needed someday.

I really want a CNC router for my shop. We already have two laser engraver/cutters and they do most of what I'd like to do, but the CNC route would open up a lot more possibilities.
I am very jealous of the land. Do you a pole barn on the property? That defiantly screams shop if the horse are no longer.

A CNC router would be stellar. Having one that would to a 4 by 8 would be a dream. That would capture all fish work, house work, and hobby work. All of the acrylic knick nacks I want to make...

panic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pssh, it's about time to upgrade that old thing! Just for giggles - what would the dimensions be of the new one?

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I am thinking you bring this one with you to the new house and have a sweet species specific FOWLR tank.
A 500 reef and 360 fowlr, what could be better than that?

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pssh, it's about time to upgrade that old thing! Just for giggles - what would the dimensions be of the new one?
seriously though. Not even one year and need to upgrade HA!
I would keep the peninsula. I am not sure if i could ever go back unless i had to house wise. I would most likely do 8ft long by 4 ft wide by 24-27 inches tall. I would add two closed loops from the back wall over the top of the tank and through the euro brace at the front with sea swirls.
Yeah, I am thinking you bring this one with you to the new house and have a sweet species specific FOWLR tank.
A 500 reef and 360 fowlr, what could be better than that?

Oh absolutely would do this. Angels and butterflies. Or really off the wall would be a marco tank full of pipe fish and nano fish like jester goby, mandarins, hi fin gobies, then put in two-three football sized clams in a lagoon style low flow tank.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any update? maybe some DT and QT photos :)
I can get you an update this weekend! At least on the DT. New fish, long dino battle with some upset sticks, system almost a year and I cannot wait for some stability so I stop bouncing my nutrients dealing with dino and then ulva.

Coral and fish QT are empty except for one coral.

Hopefully the video teaser works

Attachments

• IMG_6965.MOV
    10.2 MB
OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can watch all those colorful fish all day
That is why I got a fish tank! I have been really into the fish portion the past 6 months. Got some evansi anthias through a CP QT protocol and got them eating prepared foods ( took 10 different types, but we got there with a nice blend) They are still really new to state any sort of success, but man I can watch that harem all day. The hierarchy structure is so fascinating to watch.

OP
OP
rds85

rds85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case I don’t get time this weekend ( last trip skiing for the season) Here are some Iphone photos using the orphex phone lens attachment.

Tank will be be one year at the beginning of next month.

Battling some dinos in the front of the tank. Slowly working through that. It is irritating some of the acros. Only lost one acro in the last 7-8months.
When I get the nutrients to high to battle them, my Ulva will take off to where my urchins and tangs cannot keep up. Working on getting a mag foxface to push it over the edge.

Tons of new fish and a few more sticks ( stick photos need the good camera, this weekend).
New ish Fish since last update:
Watanabei angels, Pearly head jawfish, Evansi anthias, midas blenny, flame hawkfish, moorish idol
More on the way:
Magnificent foxface, yellow coris, radiant,
Acros:
Fancy named ones from another r2r member (Doug’s sticks are stellar) and maricultured pieces. mainly tenuis and millis.
Added some gorgs as well.
Added a wild sponge in that is growing in my fuge in hopes to grow it out and feed to the idol and angels.
3895D479-F265-4EA9-92A4-A630394685E3.jpeg
BE3DC598-6098-4418-8B80-649E684E88A3.jpeg
AFE66D40-9ABC-4B96-B3A2-2594F77F2F99.jpeg
B3C4C0D3-91F9-4B41-B88B-08FF7FE048C9.jpeg
1A86DBF5-8AA5-4EA0-8093-5049676F42B3.jpeg
D1EE8FD2-C09B-4FD1-BF4E-6764F321D2CA.jpeg
B19C43B3-FE32-47F9-873E-179D6EA0DCFD.jpeg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back