Snails out of shape/dying (nassarius on their back)

Drakal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

For 3 days I have had my two nassarius and a cerith which are in bad shape, the nassariuses are on their backs (see photo) and the cerith does not move at all. They were fine until recently, they ate well (I put a mussel from time to time to feed heavly, the last one was last week and everyone feasted well). They're not dead YET, they still react to touch/light, but I don't know what's causing this?

magu.png

I haven't changed anything in the tank except for a CO2 scrubber to increase the PH a little, I tested my water following that, here are the results:
g6j2.png

(all tests are done with hanna checkers, exept NH3 and NO2 with red sea, en Mg with Red Sea foundation, PPT with calibrated refractometer)

I did a water change, and I sent an ICP test (the first of my tank, ATI, waiting for results) and i run activated carbon 24/7 in my tank.

I have another cerith which is doing very well, a strombus which is also doing very well, a porcelain which is doing very well, and at least 10 stomelas which are also doing well. The other invertebrates (several crabs, featherdusters and shrimps) are also doing very well, same for corals and fishes.

Thanks !

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look for copper when your ATI results come back, also I would get PO4 up so it’s at least measurable.

Check for swollen magnets also

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphates should never be zeroed out .05-1. Don’t think that would directly affect them . Maybe cyano if it’s started and they ate some. Maybe bad mussels ? , and yes what hydrored said about possible magnet deterioration

OP
OP
Drakal

Drakal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to raise PO4 but i can't get them high, i feed reefroids and i can havce 0.8 few hours after feeding, then 0.0 the next day. I do have cyano trying to raise PO4 and i think it consumes them right away (i think it's cyano can't be sure, brown algea on sand bed, no strings, comes backs in few hours, nothing on rocks and on shady areas of the sand bed). Magnets looks fine, i have one for the glass scrapper (tunze magnet) and one for my wavemaker (jebao slw-10)

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to raise PO4 but i can't get them high, i feed reefroids and i can havce 0.8 few hours after feeding, then 0.0 the next day. I do have cyano trying to raise PO4 and i think it consumes them right away (i think it's cyano can't be sure, brown algea on sand bed, no strings, comes backs in few hours, nothing on rocks and on shady areas of the sand bed). Magnets looks fine, i have one for the glass scrapper (tunze magnet) and one for my wavemaker (jebao slw-10)

I had this exact issues a few years back where they were almost acted drunk and lost some, ICP showed metals and was a magnet rusting in a frag rack. Good luck I hope you figure it out.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Some causes:
Traces of copper
temp too warm
Poor acclimation
Low Ph
Presence of blue leg hermits which feast on them

OP
OP
Drakal

Drakal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this exact issues a few years back where they were almost acted drunk and lost some, ICP showed metals and was a magnet rusting in a frag rack. Good luck I hope you figure it out.
I'll look again tomorrow to be sure ! I hope the ICP test will bring some good news.
Are you running anything to remove phosphates ?
Nope, no phosphates or nitrates remover, it's a redsea max nano, live rocks, some seachem matrix in the "sump", activated carbon and that's it. I think it's cyano on the sand bed coz when i feed heavy my nutrients are still low but it's kinda blooming on the sand bed, and when i don't feed it completly go away. When i syphon it out it comes in shreds whith the sand, not dust like dinos. Maybe diatoms ?

OP
OP
Drakal

Drakal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some causes:
Traces of copper
temp too warm
Poor acclimation
Low Ph
Presence of blue leg hermits which feast on them
Will see for cooper with the ICP results
Temp. is 25°C, these snails are in the tank since 5 months now so acclimatation is good i think
No hermit crab, they are not being eaten
PH is 8.2 in the morning and 8.5 before the lights goes out (it was actually lower before coz i added a CO2 scrubber last week, and they were fine before)

EDIT : sorry if my english is bad, doing my best

OP
OP
Drakal

Drakal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking more to the diatoms
Those are sillicates based right ? I added a dry fake rock like 2 months ago, could it be leaching sillicates ? My tanks is 7 months old now, so i guess diatoms would already be gone by now ? And diatoms are not bad for snails ? My strombus actually eats on the sand bed and he's fine too, i have a ranfordi fish who's eating on the sand bed all day doing great too

EDIT : for my water, i'm using RO water only, 5 stages with resin, 0 TDS, and ATI Absolute Ocean (made with a scale). I'll post a picture of the sand bed tomorrow when the lights goes on

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drakal

Drakal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, i took out the 2 magnets i have in the tanks and give my pumps a good clean. Magnets looks pretty fine to me, no rust anyware on them or on the pumps.
20220426_154149.jpg 20220426_154158.jpg

Here is a picture of the sandbead algea, it looks like there is more during the day and less at night :
20220426_145206.jpg

The 3 snails are in the same state today, the others are doing fine

OP
OP
Drakal

Drakal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So, i received my ICP results :
Capture d’écran 2022-04-28 222540.png
Capture d’écran 2022-04-28 222559.png
Capture d’écran 2022-04-28 222615.png

Eveything looks good, there is actually some PO4 so that's nice, execpt aluminium wich i a bit high (not from RO water, tested at 0). I'm using little bloc of marine pure, i read that they do leach aluminium but it's not that high so it should'nt be a problem. I also have a lack of iodine, i already dose some (nyos iodine), but i have to dose more. Alse is really close from my testings so hanna checkers are quite close.

Maybe i should remove the marine pure blocks to stop the aluminium from rising.

But, i still have no clue for the snails.

OP
OP
Drakal

Drakal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump, what do you guys think about this algea on the sand bed ? I ordered an UV filter to see if it helps.

And what about the ICP resulsts and the snails ? ICP looks very good to me exept aluminium (coz marine pure media, but not alarming to me) and iodine (i dose more iodine now) ?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%

Back