Snowflake Eel

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! Been a while since I posted, but I just gotta first snowflake eel! He’s about 5 inches long and about as thin as a pencil. Right now Frosty is living alone in a 40g breeder but will probably be getting a Saddleback Puffer friend, as well as other “small” fish that generally aren’t reef safe. My plan is to have it covered in Pulsing Xenia, too. I’ve heard different things about the tank size for snowflakes. Obviously a 40 is a big enough tank for him right now, but live aquaria says 50 gallons and I know a 50g is just 2” taller than my 40 breeder. I know the get at least 2 feet long and a 40 is 3 feet, so what do you think? I can probably get a 75 if needed but that’d be over the summer.

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
f69233674efb216c2f5e1253c43565f5.jpg

I took this pic yesterday of him! He’s already eaten - any tips?

Anarcha0s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s exactly what I’m working on today haha!
Can't stress this enough, I've lost a little snowflake like yours even though I was sure my tank was sealed. Make sure every hole or any opening is covered, even if you think "theres no way he can get through that". That said, I love my snowflake! I have him eating by hand (I know I shouldnt bla bla bla) but hes pretty small, he also lets me pet him on the head!

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't stress this enough, I've lost a little snowflake like yours even though I was sure my tank was sealed. Make sure every hole or any opening is covered, even if you think "theres no way he can get through that". That said, I love my snowflake! I have him eating by hand (I know I shouldnt bla bla bla) but hes pretty small, he also lets me pet him on the head!

That’s really sad! I’m hoping my lid will hold him in... So what other fish do you have with him?

Anarcha0s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really sad! I’m hoping my lid will hold him in... So what other fish do you have with him?
Its just him right now in a biocube 32, next June or around there I'll be getting a 75 gallon or so for him, he will be too cramped in a 32 long term I think.

And about the lid, I use duct tape, doesn't look the best but better than losing my eel!

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just him right now in a biocube 32, next June or around there I'll be getting a 75 gallon or so for him, he will be too cramped in a 32 long term I think.

And about the lid, I use duct tape, doesn't look the best but better than losing my eel!

That’s actually a really good idea! I’ll probably be doing the same thing with a 75, although I want triggers and a foxface...

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2" of height between a 40 and 50 I don't think will make that much difference. You'll find these guys hang in their den most of the time, maybe take off around the tank a bit mainly when they are hungry. I go to an asian market to get a variety of foods; squid, octopus, shrimp, silverfish, smelt(silversides at the lfs). I slice everything up to make it easier for my eels to slurp it down, that way it keeps the tank cleaner; eels can be quite messy. You've got a good year or more to figure out if you want to go to a bigger tank.

Are you running a sump or hob equipment. A good skimmer(eshopps hob is a good one if you are running hob) and even an algae reactor is a good addition. The eel and likely any other additions will likely produce a high bioload.

A small puffer is a good addition; check out the redtail(Pervagor melanocephalus) or orangetail filefish, they are a fun and colorful fish. A dwarf lion may also be considered though I don't trust the small puffers from being nippers, so keep an eye out.

Gorilla tape makes a clear tape that is very strong and easy to conceal if need be.

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2" of height between a 40 and 50 I don't think will make that much difference. You'll find these guys hang in their den most of the time, maybe take off around the tank a bit mainly when they are hungry. I go to an asian market to get a variety of foods; squid, octopus, shrimp, silverfish, smelt(silversides at the lfs). I slice everything up to make it easier for my eels to slurp it down, that way it keeps the tank cleaner; eels can be quite messy. You've got a good year or more to figure out if you want to go to a bigger tank.

Are you running a sump or hob equipment. A good skimmer(eshopps hob is a good one if you are running hob) and even an algae reactor is a good addition. The eel and likely any other additions will likely produce a high bioload.

A small puffer is a good addition; check out the redtail(Pervagor melanocephalus) or orangetail filefish, they are a fun and colorful fish. A dwarf lion may also be considered though I don't trust the small puffers from being nippers, so keep an eye out.

Gorilla tape makes a clear tape that is very strong and easy to conceal if need be.

I’ll look into that puffer. I have a marineland HOB, rated for a 75g but I’m probably going to get a hang on back overflow for a sump when I do end up getting a 75 this summer. Now I’m looking into a one spot foxface, do you think a small one would do well with the little eel in a 40?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll look into that puffer. I have a marineland HOB, rated for a 75g but I’m probably going to get a hang on back overflow for a sump when I do end up getting a 75 this summer. Now I’m looking into a one spot foxface, do you think a small one would do well with the little eel in a 40?

Foxface's grow very fast and likely get alot larger than you think, or maybe have seen. Even the tiniest ones will outgrow a 40 within months, these guys really need a 6' tank imo. I have one in my 210; grew 2" in less than a year, he's a thick 5" plus now, I've seen them well over 7" in captivity in just 2-3 years.

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface's grow very fast and likely get alot larger than you think, or maybe have seen. Even the tiniest ones will outgrow a 40 within months, these guys really need a 6' tank imo. I have one in my 210; grew 2" in less than a year, he's a thick 5" plus now, I've seen them well over 7" in captivity in just 2-3 years.

Oh wow, I looked it up and most people said 75g minimum, but oh well. I’ll definitely try for the biggest upgrade possible.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could take years and years for a snowflake to outgrow a 40B. They are very docile creatures, but can get quite aggressive during feeding if they are hungry. I would feed it every day and even a few times a day. These are not the kind if animals that you can feed just once or twice a week when they are young.... but older ones that are nearly full size do indeed slow down a bit on the feeding.

Everything that Dr. Marini wrote about the pebbletoothed eels still applies even though this article is probably 15 years old by now:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-12/fm/index.php

OP
OP
Pittsford_Pets

Pittsford_Pets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could take years and years for a snowflake to outgrow a 40B. They are very docile creatures, but can get quite aggressive during feeding if they are hungry. I would feed it every day and even a few times a day. These are not the kind if animals that you can feed just once or twice a week when they are young.... but older ones that are nearly full size do indeed slow down a bit on the feeding.

Everything that Dr. Marini wrote about the pebbletoothed eels still applies even though this article is probably 15 years old by now:

I’ll read that article right now. I put in 6 ghost shrimp for him to eat these next few days and he immediately ate one. Sad, but he got snatched out of Hawaii so I’m more than happy to provide him a good and more natural home!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a trip to a local asian market. You can get squid, scallop, octopus, cuttlefish heads and all kinds of other goodies for them. Small crab with the shells on are great once they get larger. Just about anything that is raw will work.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

100% agree. They can and will squeeze through an opening smaller than their thickness.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would not worry about tank size right now as I would about his ability to eat, and remain in tank without escaping. They love krill, squid and small silversides. Feed sparingly to them and if another tankmate can fit in its' mouth. . . sooner or later it will.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s a good read. It helped me to understand some of the different behaviors of the snowflake. Thanks for posting!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back