Snowflake only tank

HonorableWhat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So!
I'm one of those people that tried to keep a snowflake with fish, and while it's worked out so far.
I'm slowly starting to see her get nippy towards fish on feeding day so when I move my fish and coral to my new tank, she is going to stay in the 4pg cube until I find a suitable new tank.

My question is,

What size tank is best to humanely keep a snowflake eel.
Minus clean up crew my snowflake eel will literally be the only animal in the tank.

The plan is to set her up a tank with plenty of hidey holes, pvc piping under the sand for her to travel through, hollow rocks and pots for her to go into and maybe some macro algae to suck up all those nasties she will make.

I was thinking a 40g breeder could be a possibility, but maybe it would be better to go to bigger.

What do you guys think?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say a 55g to be the bare minimum, its a 4' tank and if you keep that eel alive long enough, it can reach close to 30".

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would expect at least a 2' eel, and they do cruise a little when hungry. It would probably live in a 40 breeder, but probably not ideal. I would go bigger. A standard 55 would be cheap to get used. They are so narrow, that after you put rock in, you're kind of wall to wall. If you could score a used 75 or a 150$ one on sale at Petco, that would be ideal. Then you could put another couple fish in there too.

I would get a 75/90 and add a non-reef safe butterfly or one of the biggest dwarf angels like Keyhole or eblii and some cheap/expendable damsels...just my opinion.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the double post....But FYI

Petco's website has Aqueon 55 and 75 on sale for 1/2 off currently, so 75 or 125 bucks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back