So annoyed

TonyD1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video here, the bad bubbling is at the end

Why does my sump drain keep bubbling like this?? I can never run filter socks because they slow the flow down a bit and the water ends up going over the side of the sump and I’m constantly cleaning it up. It’s a 300 gallon tank with dual corner overflows. Open standpipes with Maggie mufflers on top. I have the pump turned down super low too. What can I do to fix this? I would like to be able to run filters again so my sump isn’t so dirty. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

TonyD1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there air getting in somewhere?
Yeah the maggie mufflers allow air in at the standpipes in the overflow boxes. It is set up for quiet operation but can handle very high flow if needed. Do I need to drill a small hole near the exit of the drain line and create a siphon break? I've read some people do that for various other issues.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Above my knowledge base. Sorry. Good luck tho. I know the pain though. Have had my issues. Was simpler and eventually fixed it. Somebody here will be able to help.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How far below the sump water line does the drain pipe extend? Let's see if we can get some additional help...

#reefsquad

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you set one drain for full siphon with no air and the other to trickle? What does your drain look like at the tank?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you set one drain for full siphon with no air and the other to trickle? What does your drain look like at the tank?
I kinda like this idea. Basically using one as your overflow and the other as an emergency. I run my 120 this way, with one drain handling everything and into a sock in the sump.
Make sure you have a full siphon on that drain line, otherwise you'll get bubbling. If you can't get it to make a siphon, that means your drain can handle more water than you are giving it.
Is there a ball or gate valve on the drain line?

OP
OP
T

TonyD1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can try but don't think so. There are ball valves but because of how the other bulkheads are spaced next to it, its pretty hard to turn them at all.

The drains are just open standpipes with maggie mufflers on them. I had dual dursos set up before but the amount of gurgling and flushing noises was driving my wife crazy.

OP
OP
T

TonyD1988

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kinda like this idea. Basically using one as your overflow and the other as an emergency. I run my 120 this way, with one drain handling everything and into a sock in the sump.
Make sure you have a full siphon on that drain line, otherwise you'll get bubbling. If you can't get it to make a siphon, that means your drain can handle more water than you are giving it.

Both drains have ball valves attached under the tank right after the bulkhead but turning them is a real pain because of how closely the other bulkheads are to it. I didn't drill the tank this way, I bought it 2nd hand and have been dealing with the issues since. Just trying to fix this last little thing.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both drains have ball valves attached under the tank right after the bulkhead but turning them is a real pain because of how closely the other bulkheads are to it. I didn't drill the tank this way, I bought it 2nd hand and have been dealing with the issues since. Just trying to fix this last little thing.
Well, without standing in front of your setup, it seems that either you may need to increase your return pump speed or slow down your overflow drains. Bubbles are caused by air. Air means it's not a full siphon. That means you have room in your pipe for more water.
Just like sucking a straw. Full glass, no sound. Last few drops, well, I'm sure you've heard a kid using a straw at the end of a glass.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video has one drain that I can see. Are they both doing this?

What happens if you remove the mufflers?

Do these drains have any horizontal sections in them?

Is the water level at the top in the overflows steady or does it go up and down?

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree with this. A gate valve on the primary drain will alow you to adjust the flow on the primary drain. make the other an emergency and you should be good.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never, ever allow a siphon to occur on my overflow pipe where it enters my sump. I will always have a small air gap. I would rather have that first pre filter over flow than over flow my floor.

I dont like filter socks, but thats just me. I prefer a spare plastic 1qt jar drilled full over holes at the bottom and filled full of floss. Weight it down with a small rock and put it in your sump and have your return dump into that.

I elevate my return pump in my sump to keep bad things from happening, like my over flow clogging and my sump water over flowing my tank. This way the pump will suck air and stop if this happens. There are other tricks with float switches. Some overflows are still just one or two round holes vs narrow slots, makes them the perfect size for a turbo or dead tang to clog.

JSchwarz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the using the second drain as an emergency like a Herbie overflow. You would get a full siphon on your main drain so it would be quiet. You might have to raise the standpipe on the emergency drain, or shorten the primary drain so they are not the same level. The emergency drain would be fully open, and the primary drain would be adjusted until water just trickles into, or is just below the emergency drain.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the using the second drain as an emergency like a Herbie overflow. You would get a full siphon on your main drain so it would be quiet. You might have to raise the standpipe on the emergency drain, or shorten the primary drain so they are not the same level. The emergency drain would be fully open, and the primary drain would be adjusted until water just trickles into, or is just below the emergency drain.

No chance of spilling onto your floor this way. Its how many manufacturers of quality tanks do their plumbing. And a gate valve to adjust the primary drain will make it silent as the grave. Then you can go back to your socks and not need to clean out your sump, which could be the worst job in reefing. Just change socks at least 3 times per week so you dont run intoa nutrient issue.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a picture of the overflow when you get home, it'll help with suggestions a lot more than our conjecture :)

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all else fails, try a reverse durso. HERE's the link to the one I built.

Can't see it clearly in the picture, but there is a hole drilled in the cap.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • None.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%

Back