So many symptoms... Please help

AllieBdot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tank is about 6 months old and our clowns were some of our first residents. We have a teeny tiny little orange clownfish. He normally hangs out with his clownfish buddy by the powerhead (not any of the BTAs I got them ) the past couple days we couldn't find him but he turned up hiding in a top corner by a pump by himself. Today he's lower but swimming in circles in a small area of the tank. We noticed he has what looks like a white film on him (photos makes it look worse than it is).

In addition our male lyretail anthias is breathing like he's gulping

And our red headed fairy wrasse has 2 white spots on his gills

Water parameters are have been super stable for the past several months.
Amonia lives at .25ppm on an API test. But tested at about 1 the other day. We did a quick water change and are back to normal at .25
0 nitrites.
5 nitrates
5 phosphate
8.4pH
8.6 Alkalinity
1.026 salt.
78 degrees

Little clown just got a 2 minute freshwater dip which looks like it cleaned the film off and is now in quarantine we are currently trying to catch the other two

Last fishy Additions were a kole eye tang and lemonpeel angel about a month ago. They spent a couple weeks in observation only quarentine. We have introduced a few softy frags since.

Any thoughts!?!

OP
OP
AllieBdot

AllieBdot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tank is about 6 months old and our clowns were some of our first residents. We have a teeny tiny little orange clownfish. He normally hangs out with his clownfish buddy by the powerhead (not any of the BTAs I got them ) the past couple days we couldn't find him but he turned up hiding in a top corner by a pump by himself. Today he's lower but swimming in circles in a small area of the tank. We noticed he has what looks like a white film on him (photos makes it look worse than it is).

In addition our male lyretail anthias is breathing like he's gulping

And our red headed fairy wrasse has 2 white spots on his gills

Water parameters are have been super stable for the past several months.
Amonia lives at .25ppm on an API test. But tested at about 1 the other day. We did a quick water change and are back to normal at .25
0 nitrites.
5 nitrates
5 phosphate
8.4pH
8.6 Alkalinity
1.026 salt.
78 degrees

Little clown just got a 2 minute freshwater dip which looks like it cleaned the film off and is now in quarantine we are currently trying to catch the other two

Last fishy Additions were a kole eye tang and lemonpeel angel about a month ago. They spent a couple weeks in observation only quarentine. We have introduced a few softy frags since.

Any thoughts!?!

Reposting under emergency

mtdaly85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ammonia reading is going to be extremely detrimental to the health of a fish. You said it crept up to 1.0 and then fell back to "normal" at 0.25? 1.0 is extremely toxic to fish and is the likely culprit.

Unfortunately, a couple weeks isn't nearly enough time if the fish had a disease. Certain fish can carry a disease and present minimal visible symptoms and then pass it along to its tank mates. The elevated ammonia could have severely weakened their immune systems as well.

A 6 month old tank shouldn't be testing positive for ammonia. Is it possible a large snail or seastar or something died?

OP
OP
AllieBdot

AllieBdot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely possible. But we caught it immediately and changed water that day and we're back to normal (normal being .25). It has read .25 consistently since we finished cycling. I figured it was just the API test. We also have a seachem amonia alert sticker that never changed from safe.

OP
OP
AllieBdot

AllieBdot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are they doing now?
Not great. I made another post to narrow down further. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...deteriorated-in-24-hours.749791/#post-7851252

We tore apart the tank and got everyone into a quarentine tank. Treating it with reef rally pro/melafix/pimafix. Lost the little clown and one female anthias. Other clown losing his tail. Other 2 anthias and wrasse still clinging to life. 2 chromis have eroding tails and I still don't know how to fix it

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back