Sochting Oxydator "Caution"

GT3000XX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received the model A Oxydator the other day for my FOWLR aquarium. Per the instructions for 100 gallon aquarium I used 12% H2O2 and 1 catalyst. After installing it on my aquarium I noticed a few hours later my pair of Bicolor Angels, Multicolor Angel and Flame Angel were acting weird. They were breathing hard and swimming up and down the front of the aquarium. I immediately removed the Oxydator from the aquarium. The 4 fish effected would not eat for 2 days. All of the other 10 fish were doing fine. Finally after 3 days the 4 Angels started acting normal again and eating. I wanted to post this to caution using this device with these type of Angelfish ( Centropyge). It has been well documented that this species are very sensitive to changes in water parameters and obviously did not like what the Oxydator was doing. For example they don't tolerate copper very well. Hope this helps prevent anyone else from experiencing this reaction.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received the model A Oxydator the other day for my FOWLR aquarium. Per the instructions for 100 gallon aquarium I used 12% H2O2 and 1 catalyst. After installing it on my aquarium I noticed a few hours later my pair of Bicolor Angels, Multicolor Angel and Flame Angel were acting weird. They were breathing hard and swimming up and down the front of the aquarium. I immediately removed the Oxydator from the aquarium. The 4 fish effected would not eat for 2 days. All of the other 10 fish were doing fine. Finally after 3 days the 4 Angels started acting normal again and eating. I wanted to post this to caution using this device with these type of Angelfish ( Centropyge). It has been well documented that this species are very sensitive to changes in water parameters and obviously did not like what the Oxydator was doing. For example they don't tolerate copper very well. Hope this helps prevent anyone else from experiencing this reaction.
Do you have any shrimp in the tank? I’ve found that these show peroxide toxicity before any fish will.
I won’t dose peroxide in a tank without doubling checking for unreacted oxidizer with a low dose peroxide test strip.
Finally, are you sure your 12% peroxide was in a potable form? Some higher concentration commercial peroxides use tin and other stabilizers. I use 7% peroxide used for home water treatment systems.
Jay

OP
OP
GT3000XX

GT3000XX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any shrimp in the tank? I’ve found that these show peroxide toxicity before any fish will.
I won’t dose peroxide in a tank without doubling checking for unreacted oxidizer with a low dose peroxide test strip.
Finally, are you sure your 12% peroxide was in a potable form? Some higher concentration commercial peroxides use tin and other stabilizers. I use 7% peroxide used for home water treatment systems.
Jay
Hi Jay,
No shrimp or any other type of inverts. Yes, I bought food grade 12%. Just H2O2 and water no stabilizers. The Oxydator has just a very small amount used over the 5 hour period.

josephfi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my 125gallon marine fish only i use 6% original solution from them. And two catalysts. I dont think they make a 12% solution. I put new fish when the oxydator was already running in the sump, did not notice anything bad.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my 125gallon marine fish only i use 6% original solution from them. And two catalysts. I dont think they make a 12% solution. I put new fish when the oxydator was already running in the sump, did not notice anything bad.
That goes for just about everybody else I know that runs an Oxydator. The only time I have heard of any problems have been when there has been a failure to close the lid ot locking plug correctly and peroxide has leaked out of the Oxydator.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back