Solar Powered Reef?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
54,876
Reaction score
122,547
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone ever thought about doing this or know someone who has?
 
I saw a thread once where a guy was using solar recessed lighting to light his reef. Some kind of thing that would reflect and intensify the sunlight.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk
 
I was reading a book by Julian Sprung that talked about using a room with natural lighting to light a fish tank. I remember the thinking used to be to avoid natural sunlight for tanks to avoid algae but today's tanks are so good that it makes a lot of sense. The big caution was to make sure the room was well ventilated or air conditioned in summer so as not to cause too much heat buildup. You might not need to magnify sunlight. The sun is exactly what we have tried to emulate through lighting. A tank in a glass sun porch would be beautiful if done correctly.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new