OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey CRT.... I've pretty much went thru this entire thread. Honestly it's one of the most impressive collections/growouts I've seen (in my limited experience). So I'm really trying to study your method.

One question I have, regarding your philosophy...

I feel like one of your main "tenets" are to have a lot of varying food/nutrients in the water column, in different forms for the acros to uptake. And you pair that with strong biological export via your media in the sump, and from pics it looks like you have much live rock under the racks in your tank.

I'm very curious about this point. It makes sense to me, but the main thing that would concern me is these "hard to reach" and "cryptic" zones getting dirty with detritus, or whatever else. If you have stacks of rock or media, I feel like they inevitably collect "the bad stuff". Do you routinely clean this stuff out, ensure it has flow, or what? It does seem like you are supplementing quite a bit, and it is really working for you from what I see. You are probably familiar with Chummingham (he is minutes from your location), but I believe he has a similar approach, albeit a different flavor (lots of stuff in water column).

On the other hand, I was listening to a podcast with Jake Adams, and he mentioned the ultimate progression of the hobby was to just have corals to process things in the water column, absolutely no live rock or media. That seems to be a completely different method, you'd obviously have to pair that approach with un natural export methods (I would assume).

So anyways, I ask the above (humbly) and hope this is not too convoluted. Again I am keenly studying your approach because I wish to emulate the success shown here!
Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to go through this thread. I can't believe it has been nearly 10 years!

To answer your question, detritus does build up in my sump, but not an absurd amount. I also vacuum my sump about twice a year so all the doo doo gets pulled out eventually.
Chummingham (AKA Ryan) is actually a good friend of mine, he frequented my place when he was studying to be a doctor and starting up his systems. He's got one awesome set up right now!
I've been fluid in my reefing philosophy and always try to find synergistic methods. You have to pick the best aspects of certain approaches and that is what I think makes the hobby fun for me. It's the experimentation and knowledge that I love the most.

To give you a glimpse at how effective my system is at processing nutrients, here's another snapshot. The combination of existing corals in the tank plus my hybrid zeo approach turns my tank into a nutrient processing machine!

So after 3 consecutive days of my feeding my concoction of
Zeozym
Min S
ME amino
Amin
Reef roids
Coral sprint
Zeobak
This stuff looks like brown milk. You have to shake it in order to prevent everything from settling. When dosed into the tank, it'll cloud your tank for a few hours, but you'll be left with crystal clear water and happy corals!
71150427698__3EB7958F-FBFC-4001-81A1-CA4BBAFC4096.fullsizerender.JPG

my phosphate was at .506 ppm yesterday morning, then I tested again at night without feeding the concoction and measured at .38 ppm.
Another system had .598 ppm yesterday morning, then at night .212 ppm.
Isn't that crazy! The consumption rate is ridiculous, its like if I added a pound of gfo.
I see why coral reefs are nutrient deserts now, it's because of all the corals rampantly feeding!

I think I watched that video where Jake mentioned that awhile ago. It certainly got some gears in my head rolling. Similar to waste water treatment facilities, I think that leveraging bacteria and enzymes will be key.
While dosing this concoction this there was not a single skip of a beat on the part of the acros. You'd think that this dramatic increase in phosphate would lead to an RTN issue or something. But nope!
The PE has greatened and the tissue on paler acros has noticeably thickened. The combination of the zeobak and zeozyme must really enhance the nutrient processing ability of the tank. The sps polyps appear engorged, like they've been stuffed. I presume that these bacteria become "gut-loaded" from all the aminos, vitamins, trace elements that are available in the feed and are readily captured by the corals when dosed. This is a good example of "heavy in, heavy out". I leverage the bacteria and enzymes to digest my foods, then my corals feast!
I think I will continue this method, as it makes feeding my systems easier since I can premix everything and feed throughout the day.

It makes you rethink our "old school" way of reefing. It's not about the numbers, it's about the corals! All the actions I take are due to visual indications. If a number is a little low, but the corals are fine I won't rush to make major adjustments. Healthy corals are tolerable to wide range of parameters, and can handle reasonable parameter swings.
That's why consistent maintenance and testing is key, that way you'll notice where certain parameters are trending. Then you act to fix the trend, try not to focus too much on the immediate test value as that only provides a brief snapshot.
Anyone looking at my tank by the numbers would be shocked and hound me to "lower this or raise that", but without a holistic view and understanding of a system it is often times hard to prescribe any action plan as each system is so unique. Visual indications are my primary tool to determine if anything has gone awry in my systems, but it takes years to develop an acute reefing sense. That's why guidance and mentors are so important in all walks of life!

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Thanks for the detailed and informative answer. You seem to have a very balanced out view of reefkeeping. And this top-down shot is awesome, they are my favorite.

Please don't crash your system any time soon, when I gain some more confidence with SPS I'll be paying you a visit! ;)

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the detailed and informative answer. You seem to have a very balanced out view of reefkeeping. And this top-down shot is awesome, they are my favorite.

Please don't crash your system any time soon, when I gain some more confidence with SPS I'll be paying you a visit! ;)
I'll do my best. Whenever you'd like to stop by just let me know, if I'm in town I'd love for other addicts to stop by lol

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dreams are coming true! I’m a fish fanatic at heart and I love supporting local businesses. When my favorite lfs, Aquapros in glen ellyn, said that they got some cool fish in they did not disappoint!

3F51EE2D-C52F-4398-AD2A-664BBE4212E2.jpeg

Bell’s flasher wrasse

A new trio of Johnson’s Fairy wrasse!
B43A7963-8D04-483C-9334-A073ECAE7F47.jpeg

C7A6B169-ED3C-44D3-8408-7A9A65BA9486.jpeg

2693D419-ADBF-4B72-AEE8-4669FDD02D5A.jpeg

I never thought I’d ever see these in person. Now it’s time to find a nahacky fairy, lineatus, earle’s madagascar flasher. I hate my taste ‍:)

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been pouring my special "milk" into the tank for good effect!

_DSC7818.JPG

CRT Red Smoothie

_DSC7860.JPG

RRA Ultimate Orange Passion

_DSC7862.JPG

JF Sunday Driver
My fastest growing and most colorful Sunday driver is in 550 par. It’s within an inch of the surface of the water :squinting-face-with-tongue:
IMG_2727.jpeg

Strad12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you familiar with Dong Zou of AcroGarden/Boston Reefer's Society? I notice some similarity between your approaches, especially with higher nitrate and phosphate levels. Dong's Acro's have the meaty appearance that you described earlier, and he gets incredibly rich colors. His feeding approach is remarkably simple, a blended mixture of salmon, table shrimp, and scallops.

OP
OP
coral reeftank

coral reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have some of the nicest looking pieces around. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you for looking!
Are you familiar with Dong Zou of AcroGarden/Boston Reefer's Society? I notice some similarity between your approaches, especially with higher nitrate and phosphate levels. Dong's Acro's have the meaty appearance that you described earlier, and he gets incredibly rich colors. His feeding approach is remarkably simple, a blended mixture of salmon, table shrimp, and scallops.
I don't know Dong personally, but I have seen him appear on ReefBum's podcast. Both our approaches are quite simple. I think the key is not actually high nitrates or phosphates, but having a robust microbiome that can process the nitrates and phosphates which in turn feeds the corals. I've been broadcast feeding corals forever, but I never got the result that I am seeing now with my new approach.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice shot. I really like the eggcrate over the rocks actually. Lots of coral real estate. Or maybe on second glance those are all magnetic racks?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 46.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back